Battery choices 300XC/W

So I need to replace the battery on my 12' #00 XC/W . I just replace the bushings and the teeth play is good less than 1/2 a tooth movement(Slaven's Video). I have the stock YTX4L-BS so 3Amps 50 CCA. Is there a bigger battery that anyone is using ? I'm not looking to buy a Shorai or something on that level. Thanks for any input.

my brother in law swears by his shorai.... starts with the e-start when cold at any temp.... just cranks and cranks.  Took the battery out over the winter and it started in 2 cranks with it this spring....

Why do you need a bigger battery? Is it turning over slow?

EarthX

They have an internal circuit that prevents over charging and over discharging.

Wish I would have bought one of these instead of a shorai.

Edited by woods-rider

Drop the coin on the Shorai.  My 12 battery went dead before a month even passed.  The dealer gave me a credit and I paid the diff for a Shorai.  I never charge it and it just works when needed..  The EarthX looks to be on par with the Shorai,cost wise.. I'd probly go with that if I didn't already have one

Edited by zilla

Yeah but $150 something like that and you have to buy their charger too! Why not an ion type battery? Hell I can buy a regular batter from sleazebay for under $30 delivered like the stock one. I thought just maybe bigger in the sense for more cold cranking amps other than 50amps stock.

U don't need their charger, battery tender will do. U just can't use one that 'desulphates'..or something like that. I have one for my 1200 Buell and not only does it save like 10 lbs its the first battery that cranks that motor fast even when hot. Can't wait for a small Lith for my 2013 200 xcw. Scorpion has some better priced ones than Shorai but I needed one and they were out with no idea when they'd have more in(only one reseller for Scorpion at the time). Lithium will save weight were it counts, too.

my wps is working great it was cheap and it don't need any special charger it likes abuse,- the more times hit the starter the harder it cranks the motor over instead of slower and slower like a conventional battery

I buy the 20.00 one from rocky mountain and toss it when it gets weak

I used a battery tender on my stock battery for a few months when it was new and that worked ok, still didn't have enough poke to fire it up stone cold ~ or even when it was warm (sometimes).  Installed a Ballistic 8 cell ion and that really helped.  "yes" I did have to buy their charger, although I only use it on occasion because you are not suppose to store an ion battery with a full charge (I have no idea why).

Honestly, if you can afford it then get an ion battery.  You'll appreciate the extra power and lighter weight.

I second Earth X. I have two in my bikes ('13 & '10 XCF-W). I'm very happy with them.

Rgksr

I would go with the EarthX no doubt.  It will be my next brand of battery as soon as this Shorai is dead.  My first Shorai died within a year and that was charging it with the proprietary charger.  Now the second one I have from the RMA isnt charging correctly with the charger.  It still has plenty of juice, but basically I cant charge it now and will eventually need to replace it.  Not very happy with them.

I got tired of my stock battery constantly losing its charge so I replaced it with the 14Ah Shorai and haven't looked back. It cranks the bike over whether it is hot or cold like others have said. Initially I was scared of the price and thought I had to use their charger to recharge it, but I bit the bullet, bought it, and have been happy since. You don't need their charger to recharge it and I shaved off a couple pounds ditching the stock batter too, which was awesome. I see no point in buying a cheap battery that won't last and will need to be replaced often, but that is really dependent on how often you ride and use it I guess. I haven't tried EarthX ones, but I have heard that they are pretty good too, which some people have said on here. I give Shorai a :thumbsup: .

Not a Lithium and not for motorcycles but to support what Fretburner said, money spent up front usually pays off down the road. I have a red top Optima that went through several big block Mustangs, 8 years supporting a winch on a Jeep and finally sitting on the job for the electric brakes on my camper. Holds 12.3v over the winter with no charging. Big whoop? It's 18 years old!

WOW on the Optima! Yeah but it breaks my no budget right now LOL! I got some not good feed back on the WPS batteries, they don't hold up well.

If you're on a budget, get a Wal-mart 5 lb. motorcycle battery for $33. Get a lithium for the weight. All other "advantages" are just icing on the cake. You know how much money, time, and effort the engineers spend to save 4 Lbs.? Kinda makes me wonder why the manufactures don't put the lithium batteries in stock.

i have the battery case off a 530 xcw, i believe the battery is a  scorpion y27ys or some kind of code with a y and a 7, pair that with a 2013 starter motor and that shit is bulletproof

If you're on a budget, get a Wal-mart 5 lb. motorcycle battery for $33. Get a lithium for the weight. All other "advantages" are just icing on the cake. You know how much money, time, and effort the engineers spend to save 4 Lbs.? Kinda makes me wonder why the manufactures don't put the lithium batteries in stock.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.php?bID=B166&vID=7809

The stock battery is 2.9 lbs. It would be pretty hard to shave 4 lbs, but those engineers are tricky!

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.php?bID=B166&vID=7809

The stock battery is 2.9 lbs. It would be pretty hard to shave 4 lbs, but those engineers are tricky!

My bad. I ASSumed that a 5 Lb. lead acid battery actually weighed 5 Lbs. I've never weighed one. I can tell you that the lithium iron phosphate weighs significantly less than the lead acid it replaced. And even a 2 Lb. reduction in weight is significant enough that I'm surprised that they are not standard on electric start racing machines.

Honda could advertise the "new" CRF250X weighs a stunning 2 Lbs. lighter than it's predecessor. ;)