Painting / Coating a 3 Rail Trailer / Also, Eye Bolt Advice

Hey Guys, I just picked up a used Shorelander 3 Rail Trailer that looks to be in pretty decent shape.  Some of the paint was chipped (very small areas, mainly near rear bolt holes for ramp to connect) and I had one of the kids go after all those areas with a dremel and a cupped wire brush attachment, it knocked the flaked paint and what little surface rust there was off.  Afterwards all of those areas were treated with Rustoleum Rust Reformer which chemically converts any residual rust to something else supposed inert and the rust will not spread, we'll see.

Anyway, I was trying to think of something rugged to topcoat the 3 rails with and try to further minimize chipping / rust.  Thoughts thus far; Rhino Lining which would probably run too much but haven't talked to an installer yet / Hammerite Paint, my concern is that it would still chip / Heavy Duty Rustoleum Epoxy paint, same concerns as last.

Secondly, I am planning to buy and install Eye Hooks for tie downs on the front and rear cross sections of the trailer frame.  The existing holes are 3/4" which I'm guessing would be big enough to accept the tie down hooks but again I am afraid if I utilize them as is more chipping paint (it looks like baked on enal, black color) and rust would ensue.  Good Place to purchase the Tie Down Eye Bolts aside from the usual Big Box stores like Menards / Lowes?

Thanks......Mark.

Bedliner or GravelTex.

Bedliner can be a bit expensive, but in your case it would be cheap.

If you have the money, I would bedline the entire thing, but that would require you to sand the entire thing a bit. It sticks to pretty much everything, but it would help adhere it.

GravelTex is cheaper, and kind of rugged. It's used in the wheelwells of vehicles to prevent scratches and stuff from things thrown by the tire.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

I would personally get a smooth texture bedliner and do the entire thing. It would never rot or rust, and it's really tough.

Bedliner sounds sweet, We powdercoated our 3 slot kawasaki green. It's held up pretty good for two years minus some rock chips on the fenders. 

i rebuilt a similar trailer, after using the rust reformer (some other brand - same idea)  I just bought a gallon of a generic bedliner from autozone.  applied it with a rough texture roller to minimize waste and give the surface some traction.  You have to work pretty fast because the bedliner starts to get gummy and you end up with all kinds of "spider webs" if you are not moving along  (I was painting in 95 degree heat with 10% humidity,  so It dried quick. 

anyway it has held up pretty well.  when -ever I see a chip, I have a spray can of texturized bedliner I just hit the chipped area,  blends in perfect because of the rough finish.

I believe the gallon of bedliner was something like 38 bucks,  the primer / rust reformer was significantly more expensive than the bedliner!

After further thought I believe I'm just going to paint the 3 rails and the load ramp, the rest of the trailer's painted surface is fine and I don't have the time or patience to tear the whole trailer down to bare frame and prep everything.

My question, would the aerosol bed liner hold up as well as the rolled / brushed on version?

Do you mean the stuff you spray with compressed air? Or is it in a can?

The stuff you spray on with compressed air and a gun is very good and sticks well.

Do you mean the stuff you spray with compressed air? Or is it in a can?

The stuff you spray on with compressed air and a gun is very good and sticks well.

I was talking about the spray can. If it performed as well as the brush / roll-on buying a can or two would certainly make life easier.

Edited by coreseller

I would probably use the roller.

I haven't used the spray can, but there's too many factors that play into the quality, plus you'll probably need a few, and they may not blend together so well.

The roller's also a good way to cover a lot of area with it, and the bedliner is all the same consistancy.

I would probably use the roller.

I haven't used the spray can, but there's too many factors that play into the quality, plus you'll probably need a few, and they may not blend together so well.

The roller's also a good way to cover a lot of area with it, and the bedliner is all the same consistancy.

Thanks Maybe.........Not to wear this question out but when I read the Rustoleum Bediner Roll-on Kit it said to use their application kit.  The store I was at when I read the can directions did not have any kits instock.........What type of roller do you use?

Thanks Maybe.........Not to wear this question out but when I read the Rustoleum Bediner Roll-on Kit it said to use their application kit.  The store I was at when I read the can directions did not have any kits instock.........What type of roller do you use?

It's a roller that looks like a black Scotch bright, someone sells them, like auto parts stores etc. You DO NOT need there "kit", it's a paint sponge, a roller and some other "junk" you don't need. Use paint thinner to get the stuff nice and runny and then apply with a narrow roller, a cheap one that you can toss out when you are done. You might need a couple coats this way, but it lays down so nice when it's thin.