SFF Fork preload question

Just wanted to know if you guys adjust SFF fork preload by measurement or just go by feel?, I had mine set at 10 clicks in from all the way out and decided to try MXA's settings of "All in" and it felt a tone better than what it was. 

I've been playing around with setup lately as i've been having trouble with head shake and thought i'd give some different settings a try and wanted to ask what some of the more knowledgeable guys are doing around here setup wise.

Just thought i'd add that I've done the Mod of removing some shims from the compression stack which made the fork a lot more forgiving.

I have also been playing with the preload and tried MXA's setup this weekend with the preload full hard plus their clicker, fork height and sag settings. It worked suprisingly better and this is a moto setup I was running on single track / Atv trails rocky and roots. The fork was much more plush in the intial part of the stroke and I hit the mid stroke harshness alot less. Overall I think I may raise my forks from their flush setting back up 5mm just to bring the tight handling I bought the bike for.

Just be sure to snug up the steering stem nut a tad tighter than spec. It will negate the head shake that you may see and act as a make shift stabilizer.

Edited by BDubb106

Bdubb106 is right I snugged mine up from the start and really haven't had any issues with headshake. Still going to do a revalve at some point but want to really feel it out first. Any suggestions on a suspension company? I have used pro action and factory connection in the past and been happy with both. Pro action is 45 min. From my house which is nice.

Ill always vote for the local company!

Thanks for the tips, I snugged up the steering nut and the headshake is pretty much gone now, the way i had it setup originally I almost lawn darted myself braking into a corner with real choppy braking bumps. I went hard into a 90 degree berm and on the exit the front tucked and just smashed me into the ground, sprained my wrist pretty good. I never really played with setup much before but I'm starting to get it where i like it.

I still have the forks flush with the triple clamp and it still turns pretty good (riding a super cross type track), i think i was having trouble with oversteering as every now and then the front would start to tuck in corners and on long sweepers the rear always wanted to slide out looking for traction instead of tracking nicely.

Gonna play around more with preload this weekend maybe go in 5 click increments.

Have any of you guys tried the forks 9mm up in the clamps as suzuki suggests? I might give it a try but to me it seems like there would be a few "Oh Sh*t…" moments stability wise

9mm is pretty drastic for the average rider. Around 5mm has been the magic # for most of us. Once you get to about 7mm and the front becomes unstable and wants to tuck. I would just start where you are and move the forks up 1mm at a time until you find where they begin to tuck, then back them down 1mm and tune from there with clickers.

I have also been playing with the preload and tried MXA's setup this weekend with the preload full hard plus their clicker, fork height and sag settings. It worked suprisingly better and this is a moto setup I was running on single track / Atv trails rocky and roots. The fork was much more plush in the intial part of the stroke and I hit the mid stroke harshness alot less. Overall I think I may raise my forks from their flush setting back up 5mm just to bring the tight handling I bought the bike for.

The only thing that worked for me after two re-valves was to go with MXA's advice. Once I put the preload at full hard plus their clicker setting, etc, and the fork was actually tolerable.

I now have Factory Connection and the Fork is amazing. So is the shock. Can't say enough good about their set up.

The only thing that worked for me after two re-valves was to go with MXA's advice. Once I put the preload at full hard plus their clicker setting, etc, and the fork was actually tolerable.

I now have Factory Connection and the Fork is amazing. So is the shock. Can't say enough good about their set up.

What do you have the preload set at now that you have the fc revalve? I have mine set at 2 in from full soft and it feels good. I tried going halfway and then all in but this made it feel like the bike was riding to high in the front.

I am 35 in from soft: But my main spring is one less than stock and the Pre-load Spring in the Base Valve is much lighter than stock as well. Additionally, I have a baggie of parts (not just the shim stacks) that FC swapped out.

I think it is awesome that we all share our settings but keep in mind that once a bike has been substantially re-worked, re-valved and re-sprung all bets are off. We can still resource the basic function of the forks and shocks when referring to set up but essentially the stock base line goes away and clickers can have more or less effect.

I had a car accident 3 months ago and rode for the first time last weekend. Really trying to get a whip working...A whip is number one on my bucket list and I just decided I am going to do it.

WhipGopor.jpg

WhipGopor1.jpg

Edited by bnyfe

Do you have Factory Connection Suspension?

I respect everyone's opinion. Even those who think the RMZ450 is the best thing since sliced bread.

I personally have come to accept the fact that there are certain traits within a chassis that simply cannot be massaged out.

The Suzuki is a bike that will turn amazing. I always chuckle when (one in a while) the guy in front of me sees the yellow and then he hugs the inside. Even though he knows his bike can't run run there, he also knows he will get passed simply by virtue of the amazing turning prowess of the RMZ. IMO if you try to make it stable it's handling advantage goes away...in a big way.

Don't get me wrong. I actually do like the Suzuki. It's a cool steed with a decent motor. But whenever...(and I mean whenever) one of my friends with a Kawi or Yamaha or KTM rides it, they always wonder how you make it go fast without feeling like your going to crash your brains out.

I always tell them...you coax it. You don't push it. You coax it.

Just my take.

Edited by bnyfe

Yeah I had factory connection work on mine. Its a ton better than stock. To rid myself of any headshake I installed a scotts damper. Bike is super stable now. Honestly the bike was pretty stable after the revalve, I just wanted the damper for the rocks and roots I encounter in harescrambles. I will say i don't like the feeling of the damper in the air over motocross jumps... However over the braking bumps and square edges it is golden.