Sign in to follow this  

08' Gear Shift Timing Selector module

Question...   There is an elecrical sensor of some sort on engine down by shift lever. It changes ignition mapping in 1st and 2nd gear I believe. If that unit fails will bike run?  Does it run ok but defalt to some standard ignition map?

I OHMed mine and rotated the shaft , it reads as a complete open circuit

Question...   There is an elecrical sensor of some sort on engine down by shift lever. It changes ignition mapping in 1st and 2nd gear I believe. If that unit fails will bike run?  Does it run ok but defalt to some standard ignition map?

I OHMed mine and rotated the shaft , it reads as a complete open circuit

Just unplug it. The selector retards the timing a little in first and second gear so the punch off the bottom isnt so drastic. It'll run just fine with out it. It'll feel faster, as in blowing the tire away coming off the corner faster.

Geat thank Shawn. BTW do you know what its suposed to read? I assume its a variable resistor?

Geat thank Shawn. BTW do you know what its suposed to read? I assume its a variable resistor?

Nope, its just a switch. In first, the green wire is just grounded to the engine through the switch. In neutral an d second the light green with red stripe is grounded. Both of these positions retard the ignition timing. In 3rd, you get the full monty. If you unplug that mutha, you get the full monty in low and second and neutral too, so watch your free revs, because its going to buzz up to 11,800 without much hesitation before it hits the rev limiter in which it will easily exceed if in panic rev mode. The tattle tale on my hour meter has spit out 13,440 when I checked the max RPM recorded.

ouch, ok. so r u saying I now have no rev limiter in any gear or just 1st 2nd?

ouch, ok. so r u saying I now have no rev limiter in any gear or just 1st 2nd?

No, there is a rev limiter. Its just at the most agressive timing setting. In the lower gears, they retard the ignition timing to make the bike softer off the bottom, then in third where there's usually plenty of traction, they stop dialing the timing back and allow the engine to delivery full torque.

It will just rev quicker without the selector plugged in. It wont rev any higher.

No, there is a rev limiter. Its just at the most agressive timing setting. In the lower gears, they retard the ignition timing to make the bike softer off the bottom, then in third where there's usually plenty of traction, they stop dialing the timing back and allow the engine to delivery full torque.

It will just rev quicker without the selector plugged in. It wont rev any higher.

So Shawn... the ideal setup to run on my 08' crf450 is eliminating the gear position switch completely and purchasing or replacing the 08' CDI with a 05' CDI for an overall more aggressive faster feel... and if this is done are there any detrimental damages that could be done to the motor by changing these things??

sounds like maybe if you just unplug it would be the same thing. 

So Shawn... the ideal setup to run on my 08' crf450 is eliminating the gear position switch completely and purchasing or replacing the 08' CDI with a 05' CDI for an overall more aggressive faster feel... and if this is done are there any detrimental damages that could be done to the motor by changing these things??

No, nothing bad will happen. Ive got an 05 ignition on my 03. But I think the advance is more agressive on the 08 bike, thats why they did the gear selector. The system just makes the bike easier to ride in the lower gears. I noticed that the 05 ignition on mine allowed (caused) me to blow the rear tire away on corner exits. More judisious use of the throttle was required, or simply ride a gear high so it doesnt spin the tire so much.