Honda XR250R dual sport convertion (NH)

Hello, new here so move my thread if im in the wrong spot! thank you!

Anyways I have a 1994 XR250R that i want to convert to a dual sport bike. After much research and some help from some people local to me I have found that to have a bike street legal in NH all I need is a headlight, tail light, brake light, one mirror, and a horn. The information I am putting here is to hopefully help others in NH trying to do the same, and also I have a question about some wiring that I will save for the end.

Now to go a little more into detail with each as far as the headlight, Im told it does not need to have high and low beams, just a headlight (The XR has this stock)... the tail light needs to be an all time running light ( like the stock XR light), the one mirror needs to be the left mirror ( I got both left and right, looks better I think) and a horn (does not need to be electric, I spoke to a guy who used a squeeky horn for a pedal bike which is what I have)... Also, I was told i would need DOT tires, however Im not sure about this (maybe someone can answer this? I would assume I would need them)..

Hopefully that information is helpful, And I will post again when I get a title application from my town hall and fill it out for my bike and get it inspected. As far as my question it is in regards to the brakke light... I have the banjo bolt brake sensor like this one - http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/venhill-banjo-bolt-with-brake-light-switch-p-7526.html .... I also have a separate light installed under my tail light that I want to be the brake light. This will leave the tail light alone and on at all times, but when I hit the brake the light under it will light up. I am having trouble wiring it to work with the switch, if someone could help as to where to spice for power and where to connect to the switch that would be great, thank you! and sorry for the long post! 

Just splice into the tail light for power, run it to the switch and run the other wire from the switch to the light.  You can ground the second light to the tail light and when you pull the switch, it will light.  (if you've done it correctly, that is!)  I only run one light on all my bikes, the tail light stays on all the time and the brake light comes on with the brake switch.  It's easier that way.  You just use a 2057 or 1157 bulb, or whatever other dual filament light bulb your tail light is set up for.  It may already be set up for it.

Good Luck!

Great advice thank you, I made the mistake of running the positive from the light to one wire of the brake light switch and the negative of the light to the other of the brake light switch and then ran those two to the bikes lights, I never grounded the second of the switch and this made it so when I pressed the brake all the lights turned off lol. I'll try what you said and let you know how it goes!

Yeah, that won't work! LOL!  No big deal though.  If the tail light is on, the light is grounded.  You don't need another ground, the switch just supplies power to the second positive on the bulb.  It's a lot more simple than it seems.  I used to struggle with wiring a long time ago but, I don't trust anyone else to work on my bikes (or cars for that matter) so, I had to learn how to do it myself.  Most of the time all you need is a tester and sometimes a couple jumper wires help too.

You'll get it working!

Good Luck!

I plated a ktm 300 in nh this year and needed the following to pass inspection:

Turn signals

Brake light for rear brake with running light

DOT tires (the place I went checked)

Headlight with low beam only

Horn (doesn't have to be electric)

Left mirror

Speedometer (I've heard not all shops care but the local one checked)

To get a plate and title i just had to go to city hall with a letter stating i did the above and the letter didn't need to be signed by a shop

Edited by woods guy

I plated a ktm 300 in nh this year and needed the following to pass inspection:

Turn signals

Brake light for rear brake with running light

DOT tires (the place I went checked)

Headlight with low beam only

Horn (doesn't have to be electric)

Left mirror

Speedometer (I've heard not all shops care but the local one checked)

To get a plate and title i just had to go to city hall with a letter stating i did the above.

How did your 300 do in 65+ mph areas?

How did your 300 do in 65+ mph areas?

I don't like the way a 2 stroke behaves on the street so I avoid it at all costs. The plate is really to connect trails or grab food on a ride etc

What state was that in? Good to know what's needed here in NH, I'm going to use mine as a daily commuter because it's great on gas I hear

I was told by a person I ment on here through a private message that he got his bike plated here in NH, not far from where I am, with just a brake light, all time running lights, headlight, mirror and horn.. Which I have all those now, he did not need blinkers or dot tires

I was told by a person I ment on here through a private message that he got his bike plated here in NH, not far from where I am, with just a brake light, all time running lights, headlight, mirror and horn.. Which I have all those now, he did not need blinkers or dot tires

you need to go where he went, it cant be far, you can throw a rock across NH

Haha yeah that's my plan, not far at all about 30 mins away

A friend of mine plated his xr400 without doing anything. All he has is the factory headlight, no brake light, turn signals, horn etc...nothing. I guess it depends where you go. Cops don't seem to care as long as you're not an idiot on the road, but I bet they write you up if you get stopped for something else Edited by woods guy

Woods guy I think your right it depends where you go, I just called the place where this guy is had gone and they told me I needed a horn (squeaky bike horn works) brake light, headlight, and dot tires, all I need is the tires, but like mentioned above I'm going to go with what I have and hope whoever inspects my bike doesn't check that, and if it passes with that then as long as I'm not crazy on the road I shld have no issues