kx250f vs yz125 vs yz250 vs 450

I curenntly own a kx250f and i am looking for a new bike. my kx is highly moded and cranks out north of 40 horsepower. I am 15 years old 16 years old in 4 months. I want to get a diiferent bike than a 250f. I am interested in the 2 stroke because ease of maintnence and because i love the light weighness. I ride mostly open feilds and roads and i love to do wheelies and medium sized jumps. i ride about 35% trails most not that tight. i am 6 foot and 170 very strong and growing fast. not sure if a 125 will be enough and another thing to look at is a 2 stroke 250. i dont know if it will be too much thats why i was looking at a ktm 200 because it is between a 125 and a 250. also I have only a cr 125 1 time but i liked it. trying to ride a 250 2 stroke soon.

but also i will be able to drive soon so should i just buy a 450 and then get tags for it. 

just a man looking for some advice. 

thanks in advance

Edited by KTMjake22

I know, I'm speechless too....

I went to post, but I read it wrong and didn't know how to delete it, so I edited it instead.

I know, I'm speechless too....

hey monk i know that you are very knowledgable. could you help me out?

hey monk i know that you are very knowledgable. could you help me out?

Your asking about 7 different questions that contradict themselves...

Coming off your modified 250f, a 125 will feel slow to you and IMO not the best bike due to your riding habits. A 250 is only as powerful as you twist the throttle. But because you ride pretty open terrain, I would look at more offroad oriented 2t that has a 6spd. Something like a KTM 250XC/XCW/Beta 250rr or a GasGas 250. The extra gear allows for great legs on the really fast stuff. You still maintain the ease of maintenance but have a bit more power. I think the 200 is another viable option but you do mention you are growing and I think at a point, maybe a couple years down the road you might have the work the little 200 quite hard.

You mention you want to tag it? Does that mean street legalize it? Check to make sure where you live that it is possible to make a offroad bike street legal. Some States/Provinces do not allow for this. If you can street legalize the bike, awesome, and again another pitch for a 250 2t with a 6spd. Having a lighting harness is a big plus on a KTM 250xc/XCW.

If you cannot street legalize a offroad bike, now you have to look at other options. Do you want to have 2 bikes? On for offroad and one for street? If the answer is no, then the best viable options is a KTM 350EXC which is a spectacular bike and IMO would suit you excellent. But a 350exc unless used will run you in the $10k+ mark new. It will easily do everything you described, have a easy to use powerband, have excellent reliability and when you do get tired of it, will retain great value. I have the 500exc version which is even better but I don't think I would recommend such a powerful motorcycle unless you are quite experienced.

As for the 450, no. I don't think I would recommend one to you quite yet. Reliability wise they will last and last but can be a handful in certain situations. Experience plays a huge part in owing a big bore motorcycle.

So in conclusion, I recommend a 250 2t with a 6spd or a KTM 350exc.....

Coming off your modified 250f, a 125 will feel slow to you and IMO not the best bike due to your riding habits. A 250 is only as powerful as you twist the throttle. But because you ride pretty open terrain, I would look at more offroad oriented 2t that has a 6spd. Something like a KTM 250XC/XCW/Beta 250rr or a GasGas 250. The extra gear allows for great legs on the really fast stuff. You still maintain the ease of maintenance but have a bit more power. I think the 200 is another viable option but you do mention you are growing and I think at a point, maybe a couple years down the road you might have the work the little 200 quite hard.

You mention you want to tag it? Does that mean street legalize it? Check to make sure where you live that it is possible to make a offroad bike street legal. Some States/Provinces do not allow for this. If you can street legalize the bike, awesome, and again another pitch for a 250 2t with a 6spd. Having a lighting harness is a big plus on a KTM 250xc/XCW.

If you cannot street legalize a offroad bike, now you have to look at other options. Do you want to have 2 bikes? On for offroad and one for street? If the answer is no, then the best viable options is a KTM 350EXC which is a spectacular bike and IMO would suit you excellent. But a 350exc unless used will run you in the $10k+ mark new. It will easily do everything you described, have a easy to use powerband, have excellent reliability and when you do get tired of it, will retain great value. I have the 500exc version which is even better but I don't think I would recommend such a powerful motorcycle unless you are quite experienced.

As for the 450, no. I don't think I would recommend one to you quite yet. Reliability wise they will last and last but can be a handful in certain situations. Experience plays a huge part in owing a big bore motorcycle.

So in conclusion, I recommend a 250 2t with a 6spd or a KTM 350exc.....

Thank you so much i reallly apreciate it. i will be looking into a ktm 350 now. i have money but definatly not 10k... i have 4.5k to spend could i find a 350 for that? or should i go to a 200 and then eventually when i out grow it just sell it and buy a 450. they can be street legal in my state. thanks so much

Thank you so much i reallly apreciate it. i will be looking into a ktm 350 now. i have money but definatly not 10k... i have 4.5k to spend could i find a 350 for that? or should i go to a 200 and then eventually when i out grow it just sell it and buy a 450. they can be street legal in my state. thanks so much

You could find a 2011/2012 350 for around the $4-5k mark...