Sign in to follow this  

Tires

I'm tryin to find new tires for my bike, but I have no clue what to get. I've been looking at Michelin m12's but, I'm not sure about them. I ride mostly hard and soft terrain. I was wondering what you guys recommend.

(Sorry if this is not the correct category to put this question in)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yo Crash,

You should get other opinions, but my opinion will be a unique one for you.  I too ride on hard terrain and then sandy terrain and need a tire that works best for both.  If you have a 19 inch wheel then nothing holds a candle to the Rear Michelin Sandcross 4.  The knobs are hard and they don't wear very easy.  Is it more important to have traction in the hard dirt or sand?  Every tire grips well on hard dirt...you get my drift.  The front:  Michelin Front S12 XC 90/90-21 Tire - 08325  I don't know much about the physics of tires but when I took someone's advise and swapped out my stock tire on my 2014 Husqvarna with the S12 XC the tire would claw at the edge of a rut I was in and climb right out.  My confidence in cross ruts and side hilling sky rocketed.  I don't have the balls to lay it over and really test the fail safe zone or cornering with them but any tire that saves me from these others situations should be great in the corners too.  After a year this front tire will be done for...knobs start tearing off.   I hope my thoughts helped you.

Yo Crash,

You should get other opinions, but my opinion will be a unique one for you. I too ride on hard terrain and then sandy terrain and need a tire that works best for both. If you have a 19 inch wheel then nothing holds a candle to the Rear Michelin Sandcross 4. The knobs are hard and they don't wear very easy. Is it more important to have traction in the hard dirt or sand? Every tire grips well on hard dirt...you get my drift. The front: Michelin Front S12 XC 90/90-21 Tire - 08325 I don't know much about the physics of tires but when I took someone's advise and swapped out my stock tire on my 2014 Husqvarna with the S12 XC the tire would claw at the edge of a rut I was in and climb right out. My confidence in cross ruts and side hilling sky rocketed. I don't have the balls to lay it over and really test the fail safe zone or cornering with them but any tire that saves me from these others situations should be great in the corners too. After a year this front tire will be done for...knobs

start tearing off. I hope my thoughts

helped you.

Thanks for the help. Will definitely look into that tire.

What size of bike are u runnin? Curious 2 see if I have enough motor to turn that tire

Thanks for the help. Will definitely look into that tire.

What size of bike are u runnin? Curious 2 see if I have enough motor to turn that tire

You do. I have one on my 230. It's pretty awesome.

The round ones because the square ones are a b*tch to mount

i say it a lot, but i run MX51s and i keep groovin mine with one of those tread doctor groovers.($45)

My latest experiment was on the side lugs, i took the siping kit and undercut them a little. Probably the absolute biggest difference in cornering ive ever felt. Ive never tried the offset triple clamps though.

Been running Kenda Washougals, front and rear.....loving the tires so far, they have really helped build my cornering confidence.....even on Marbled banks.

I just think that tires are such a personal choice, it's hard to just spend $150-$200 on advise.....More so to trail and error than someones word. Your riding style, skill level, terrain, bike, suspension...all goes into weather or not a tire is going to be good for YOU!

Kenda soft terrain. They hold up well. I have had. Numerous track and trail buds get my tires because they can't believe how long they hold up. I ride track and trail. Rock road doesn't matter. On the same tires for a good year now. Races included

Well as you can see ,I`m a Michigan rider too. What I like best is Michelin`s m12 on the front , and starcross MS3 on the back , they handle the sand , roots ,rock , and any kind of dirt that you will run in to here in Mi. And they seem to wear well , at least for me.