Cleaning Engine Aluminum

Is there any way to clean aluminium back to the bright look it has when new. Not polished but that new look. Tried a fine scotch pad but it wasn't very good. There must be something you can spay on and wash off that does the job.

Try an air conditioning coil cleaner. Not the stuff from lowes or Home Depot but ask around a couple a/c shops and they have the acid to clean it up. Be very careful!!!and don't let it sit too long. 20 seconds then rinse and apply again till you get your results

Oven cleaner?

Aluma-prep...check napa. Used before painting or anodizing aluminium. Caustic lye

Soda blaster do mine all the time , wash out the airbox and new filter before startup .  :ride:

Beau 88 . Like the sound of that , have you got any pics of your results ?

Edited by watto2013

I used metal polish and took my time to make sure I got every last bit of dirt ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406211610.723546.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406211623.806988.jpg

Beau 88 . Like the sound of that , have you got any pics of your results ?

It looks like new aluminum , use only baking soda, won't hurt plastic or rubber parts you can buy a cheap siphon feed blast gun on ebay .  I did the whole bike using both methods and both work . 

IMG_2278.JPG

SHOUT cleaning spray, seriously does an awesome job and is not abrasive. 

You can use mineral spirits in one spray bottle and your favorite degreaser in another , spray the engine with both and pressure wash the engine . Mineral spirits melt grease off, we used it at a detail shop i managed in Atlanta best engine cleaner ever. Besides tearing it apart and hot tank it , haha.

SHOUT cleaning spray, seriously does an awesome job and is not abrasive. 

I have used this and it does a fantastic job.  I was surprised how clean the engine cases were, especially since they were a greasy dirty mess to begin with.  I cleaned the engine with degreaser, then used the Shout on it.  Washed it off with hot water.  Great results.

I don't like aluminum brighteners like Zep's Zepalume.  It has hydrofluoric acid which is dangerous but it also leaves the surface rough so it stains easily.  I hear phosphoric acid works well but I have not had a chance to try it and it is expensive.

If nothing else work for your try Armor All Extreme Wheel Cleaner: http://www.armorall.com/products/wheel-tire-cleaner/

Makes the motor and polished hubs on my KTM look brand new, spray it on - let it sit for a little while and blow it off with pressure washer, done.

It looks like new aluminum , use only baking soda, won't hurt plastic or rubber parts you can buy a cheap siphon feed blast gun on ebay .  I did the whole bike using both methods and both work . 

Looks great, I have a few polished items but haven't been able to convince myself to do the entire swing arm.