Sign in to follow this  

Jd jet kit now bike won't run

Ok I have a 2003 drz400e I have the 3x3 air box mod a FMF power bomb exhaust header and power core slip on. Coast enricher is plugged. I bought a JD jet kit did everything to the directions

162 main jet

45 pilot

Fuel screw at 2 turns out

Not my bike won't run not even with the choke out. Prior to me re jetting I have a 144 main jet with 45 pilot it ran but it had a really weak throttle response it would bog/die when I snapped the throttle but run great when I would roll the throttle. Can anyone give me some Info this bike is starting to piss me off

Was the CE removed before or did you just to it?  What exactly did you do to remove the CE?  Does it start at all?  Need a lot more details to offer advise.  Getting pissed is about he worst thing you can do when trying to resolve a problem logically.

I had plugged the CE ports with a rubber nipple awhile ago when I first re jetted with the FMF jet kit. That kit still made my bike bog when I snapped the throttle so I decided to give the JD kit a try. The JD kit came with a 155main 160main 162 main 165main am a 45 pilot. I did what the intrusions told me to do use a 162 needle at the 4th fuel screw out 2 turns I bought a extended fuel screw when I bought the FMF kit and the bike just keeps misfiring. It's like it wants to start but can't. I've tried turning the idle screw all the way in and that's not helping even with choke out. I'm completely confused with this situation. I can't seem to get rid of this boggy throttle it's always one thing after another.

Edited by Kylec1720

OK, there are 2 ways to remove the CE. Both work about the same.  Simply remove the CE and connect the 2 ports on the side of the carb with a hose and plug the port on the head. OR Remove the CE, plug all 3 ports and replace the 60 pilot air jet with a 100 pilot air jet.

If you remove the CE and plug all 3 ports without replacing the pilot air jet, it will be way too rich at idle.  If it ran that way, there are other problems which I can't diagnose from here.  The JD jet kit is a good kit for tuning but it is not a rebuild kit.  It only affects jetting of an otherwise sound carb.

• Like 1

Yes the 3 ports were plugged but never put a 100 air jet in. Idk how that would effect it from running.

You already have a the 60 paj installed, just join the carb ports with a piece of left over hose from the CE removal....

Why spend money when you don't need to.?...There is no need to buy a 100 paj if your ok with the linked hose look....

if you still want to BUY the 100 paj , here you go..http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_keihin_99101-124_and_99101-ZF5_air.html

BTW...You didn't need to buy a jet kit, the stock OBDXP needle works good on clip 5 with snorkel removed, though installing a Keihin OCEMN needle is more of a performance deal , and so worst case you needed to buy a needle and a main jet....Which can be purchased separately for Fcr's.

http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/017_262_su.html

http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_keihin_99101-357_main_Hex_25-xxx.htm

Undo the CE off the carb...it doesn't need to be sitting there as it's disabled...

Undo the 2 nuts / bolts with the red dots to remove the CE off the carb,..... join the 2 carb ports as displayed

th_f0001a68-72a9-4561-bd9b-5f768264a694.

Ensure your carb looks like the one pictured below, 

DSC02524.jpg

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 1

Kylec - From the pictures posted you have not removed the CE, just the control hose.  In other words the CE never activates and functionally is the same as removing it and connecting the nipples with a hose (assuming there are not other problems with it).  I prefer to see the head nipple removed and replaced with a 8mm bolt.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406237720.026082.jpg

Ok so I did that mod and re cleaned my carb. It took a few to get the bike running it was back firing while I was tying to start it then it ran for a little once I turned the choke down it started to get a boggy throttle again so I played with the idle screw to lower the idle and it died. I have the air/fuel screw at 2.5 turns out

I wish I could help you more but I don't know where to go from here.  You seem to have exhausted the easy possibilities.  Did you ever have the slide out of the carb?  Floating throttle plate in upside down? Seal between the floating throttle plate and the roller carriage perished? Float set correctly?

Have you owned the bike long?  Is this a new problem?

The last pic you posted shows the carb NOT seated into the intake boot correctly and the other one looks similarly not seated..

If this was addressed and you are still having problems perhaps look at the pilot circuit for blockages.....

, replacing the pilot jet and using compressed air on the passageways would be advisable... 

Yeah the carb wasn't seated because I was working on it I just took a pic of the removed CE. But I ended up fixing the problem. I put the old jet

144maain

45 pilot

Needle at the 5th

2.5 turns out

I had to get towed around the block to pop start it but I think the JD jets were flooding my bike

Yeah the carb wasn't seated because I was working on it I just took a pic of the removed CE. But I ended up fixing the problem. I put the old jet

144maain

45 pilot

Needle at the 5th

2.5 turns out

I had to get towed around the block to pop start it but I think the JD jets were flooding my bike

I would run a larger main jet with your set up...It needs to be around a 160 mj with open pipe and snorkel removed

I would run a larger main jet with your set up...It needs to be around a 160 mj with open pipe and snorkel removed

I tried that as well. I tried every main jet in the kit and it wouldn't run. I have no idea why

I did notice the needle settings on the JD needle were all one up. Like ony FMF kit if I was at the 5th needle setting and on the 5th needle setting on the JD kit it end up being the 4th position on the FMF kit. Idk if maybe that had something to do with it

Needles and jets are tuning parts.  You have a basic problem not related to fine tuning.  You are going to have to fix something first so it runs long enough that you can evaluate jetting and tuning.  Answer the questions in post 12.

Needles and jets are tuning parts. You have a basic problem not related to fine tuning. You are going to have to fix something first so it runs long enough that you can evaluate jetting and tuning. Answer the questions in post 12.

No I never took the slid out or do anything with the slide I heard that's not good to mess with the slide. Like I said I put my old jets in and popped started it and now it runs again. What do you think my slide seal is junk?

I did notice the needle settings on the JD needle were all one up. Like ony FMF kit if I was at the 5th needle setting and on the 5th needle setting on the JD kit it end up being the 4th position on the FMF kit. Idk if maybe that had something to do with it

The needles you are trying have different profiles and effect the fuel delivery in different ways...

Purely as a coincidence, for your set you would use clip 4 with the FMF needle or clip 4 with the JD needle

And 142.5 main jet with FMF or 160 main jet with JD needle...

When you get these settings sorted or close to,.........then if no improvement you should be looking at other possibilities.....

You need to list more info as Noble requested...

Edited by Craig-o