Sign in to follow this  

Prepping yz 250 and kx 100 for trails.

Hey guys!

So I have a yz250 (96) and a kx100 (00) for my lady. 

I wont be racing these bikes. Just trails and desert. 

Her bike already has a desert tank. 

What else do I need to make these bikes run reliably on trails?

I want to get these rims. Is 18 in better than 19 for trails? Will they still fit even though its for the 99 model and not 96? Also what are some good tires to mount on them?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1071/-/938642/Tusk-Impact-Complete-Front-Rear-Wheel-Kit-1.60-x-21-2.15-x-18-Black-Rim-Silver-Spoke-Blue-Hub?v=1618

Is a flywheel weight needed? why?

I have a gnarly pipe and a skid plate on my kx250.

It seems to go just fine like that.

You don't "need" any of that other stuff but some of it is probably nice depending on what you're riding.

If you like real tight 1st gear stuff a fww would probably be nice.

I shouldve mentioned both bikes have fmf spark arrestors and pipes. 

The kx100 is going to be my ladies first bike and the bike shes going to learn on. 

I dont want any plugs to get fouled out. 

Ive never ridden my yz250 on anything except my street so I dont know what I would like yet on trails... Id rather not waste money on FWW but will if It makes them more reliable. 

Pipe guards, Bark Busters, skid plates...You will want those things for sure. 18" wheel would help with pinch flats and rock flats/dings. The KX100 MIGHT be a bit "pipey" for trail riding....depending on your trails....and if that is the case a Fly wheel weight will help with that.

Also might want to consider setting up the suspension for trail riding....mainly softening it up as trails aren't know to be smooth like the tracks that those bikes are made for.

What are bark busters? Do you have a suggestion for some good trail tires?

Flywheel weight will help smooth out the power, it helps put the power to the ground rather then just spinning on climbs. But if you're running bald tires A flywheel weight ain't gonna help you, get tires first. 

These are bark busters. They will save your levers and more importantly your hands.

Tires are a "choice" thing....I run Kenda Washougals ATM, but I've run Chen Shin tires in the past and really like those for MOST of the terrain that I ride. A friend of mine is running a Maxis Dessert terrain tire that he seems to like.....I say Big nobs in the back and lots of small nobs up front, usually can't go wrong with that set up. Oh and the Bridgestone 403/404 combo is pretty popular too. Use heavy duty tubes, maybe (if you dare) Ultra HD tubes.....Most of the tire thing is trail and error.

These are bark busters. They will save your levers and more importantly your hands.

Tires are a "choice" thing....I run Kenda Washougals ATM, but I've run Chen Shin tires in the past and really like those for MOST of the terrain that I ride. A friend of mine is running a Maxis Dessert terrain tire that he seems to like.....I say Big nobs in the back and lots of small nobs up front, usually can't go wrong with that set up. Oh and the Bridgestone 403/404 combo is pretty popular too. Use heavy duty tubes, maybe (if you dare) Ultra HD tubes.....Most of the tire thing is trail and error.

Ok ya her bike has bark busters from acerbis. I like the ones you linked. Think ill get a set for my yz. Ive never heard of kenda or chen shin. Why do you say ultra hd tubes if I dare? That confused my as Id think the more HD the better. 

Ultra HD tubes are as thick as a bicycle tire, hard to mount and HEAVY...they don't need air in them to maintain round.....Heavy Duty tubes are fine....UHD tubes are for Baja Mexico. I once had a lady in a very "well to do" city angrily inform me that there is no such place as Baja, Mexico....I smiled and walked away...what a twat...lmao.

As far as Bark Busters go, I like my Cycra ProBends, but they are pricey. I don't bash on any brands of these, as long as the go from inner bar to bar end, they serve there purpose. My wife actually has the $20 ones from Cycle Gear on her bike....she just HAD to test them right after I put them on....they work just as well as any other.

Don't forget a Skid plate...busted cases suck!

How can I put hubs from a 99 yz250 on my 96?? The rims i linked are for 99-02. I cant find anything good for my year