Sign in to follow this  

Electric pressure washers....any suggestions?

I'm looking for a light duty electric pressure washer to use to keep the bikes clean. I've seen that Home Depot carries a large variety of them but was wondering what the TT folks may use. 

I'm looking for a light duty electric pressure washer to use to keep the bikes clean. I've seen that Home Depot carries a large variety of them but was wondering what the TT folks may use.

i got the cheap 100$ one from home chepo 1400 psi more than enough power. It gets the job done

I have a Karcher - have replacement parts, hoses, etc.
Only a budget one but blows the mud & clay off the bike, If your too close it'll blow the stickers off too. I even used to to get a gopro mount off my bike, worked like a treat.

After using cheap ones for years gas and electric I paid a little/lot more and got a gas honda powered 3200 psi. Works like a charm throttled down to barely running with the widest nozzle but I would never run it harder on my bike. The cheaper ones just never lasted for me

• Like 1

When looking for a pressure washer, don't just go by the psi the unit has, to do a good cleaning job, you also have to check the GPM, gallons per minute, pressure just loosens the dirt, you need a good volume of water to push the dirt away, have you ever taken a car to the coin pressure wash and wonder why you spent more money than you thought you would, its because the GPM is low, the only thing the pressure did was knock the dirt around, even if you are looking for something light duty, check the gpm.

I have a Karcher 3000 psi 3.5 gpm with 6hp Honda gas engine, have a look at Karchers electric lineup. 

Edited by sickpuppy

I plan on checking CL too. I was just browsing the Home Depot website and noticed that they have a lot to offer. Right now when I clean the bikes I just use the hose with a sprayer, but it seems like a decent little power washer would do the trick while using even less water. I've been considering buying one for about a year but I just never get around to it.....so now I need to get the job done.

I appreciate all the input. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Electric pressure washers are the only way to go for cleaning bikes. They are cheap, simple, quiet, and you don't have to be super careful about where you shoot it since the pressure typically isn't THAT much. I sold my gas one and got an electric one. The only thing I used the gas one for that the electric isn't up to is washing the driveway and patio which I only do about every other year or so. Washing cars, bikes, house, etc. is much easier with the electric one.

I just have a cheap one from harbor freight. 70$ cant beat it. One of the few things id reccomend from there. Works great and has gotten a lot of hard packed dirt off my bike.

• Like 1

I just have a cheap one from harbor freight. 70$ cant beat it. One of the few things id reccomend from there. Works great and has gotten a lot of hard packed dirt off my bike.

Yeah I was thinking about looking into harbor freight too. I have all kinds of tools from there!

The electric ones, like you guys have stated, seem to be a very simple way to go. I used my neighbor's and I liked it!

I have an old Karcher electric that I think I bought from Costco.  Low pressure and not much flow compared to the more expensive and gas models but it blows the mud off and doesn't blow past seals (if you are careful with aiming).  I think I bought it is the early 90s, and I ride once a week.  I also use it to clean car wheels and concrete. No reliability issues for the past 15-20 years. 

Not as fast as a gas powered model for cleaning concrete but I don't have seal failures on my bikes.

• Like 1

I bought the electric 1800 psi Home Depot one for something like $130 with a gift card.  It is only good for getting off the major mud and dirt.  It cleans barely better than a garden hose.  I eventually have to use a brush and some degreaser, then go back over the bike again.  I guess the good side is that it the low volume and pressure should not ruin seals or get water in the motor.

But it is a joke.  It is worthless for everything else.  I wouldn't even clean my deck with it.

Bought a 1400 psi walmart brand karcher and it works okay. Its enough pressure for a bike. As ive heard too much pressure cant blow by seals and mess up bearings. I still need to use a lil elbow grease to clean my bike in some areas.

Harbor freight, $80 I've abused the crap out of it and it still works great!

+1

My ass lags....finally getting one today. Do you guys use the ones with the detergent tanks to help clean the bikes? Or do I just use some spray on cleaner and blast it off with the pressure washer?

My ass lags....finally getting one today. Do you guys use the ones with the detergent tanks to help clean the bikes? Or do I just use some spray on cleaner and blast it off with the pressure washer?

I spray simple green on dirty bike. Soak for a few and then blast it with my $40 Lowes electric pressure washer. Works good. 

• Like 3