Sign in to follow this  

Fears of converting a dirtbike to Dual sport adventure

I've been desperately trying to find a beginner used dualsport for my girlfriend. first biek should always be something you wont be upset if it gets totally destroyed, so used is where you look

but there is nearly nothing other than KLR650's in the used adverts in my area. however, there are several bikes that Baja kits can be put on, and i saw the thumper talk special and that got me thinking.

so i looked up a few, and i read a few rumors.

rumor one:

pertaining to 250cc in general, the yamaha wr250F is specific: "I know the F has 5 valves not 4. It really is a different motor. This is what I heard, but not sure if its true or not. That the dirt engines are designed for all this rpm flux of speeding up and slowing down. If you take them on long highway rides it is very bad for the engine." (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594318)

Rumor two: the gearing is bad for the bikes if taken on long (100 mi) highway jaunts. can this be remedied by sprocket changing or does that gear up first gear too high?

Rumor three: they're a lot more maintenance, because they are race bikes.

for those that have converted your bikes, what would your input be? what advice do you have? what experience can you share? anything is appreciated. 

I've been desperately trying to find a beginner used dualsport for my girlfriend. first biek should always be something you wont be upset if it gets totally destroyed, so used is where you look

but there is nearly nothing other than KLR650's in the used adverts in my area. however, there are several bikes that Baja kits can be put on, and i saw the thumper talk special and that got me thinking.

so i looked up a few, and i read a few rumors.

rumor one:

pertaining to 250cc in general, the yamaha wr250F is specific: "I know the F has 5 valves not 4. It really is a different motor. This is what I heard, but not sure if its true or not. That the dirt engines are designed for all this rpm flux of speeding up and slowing down. If you take them on long highway rides it is very bad for the engine." (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594318)

Rumor two: the gearing is bad for the bikes if taken on long (100 mi) highway jaunts. can this be remedied by sprocket changing or does that gear up first gear too high?

Rumor three: they're a lot more maintenance, because they are race bikes.

for those that have converted your bikes, what would your input be? what advice do you have? what experience can you share? anything is appreciated.

Well, I've converted 3 drz 400e's to street legal. I don't think I'd convert a 250 and use it for longer highway stretches. Those motors you described hold minimal oil and yes, they are not internally or externally geared for any constant rpm high rev use. Find a yamaha xt225 or xt250, suzuki dr350, etc. Just my $.02

Well, I've converted 3 drz 400e's to street legal. I don't think I'd convert a 250 and use it for longer highway stretches. Those motors you described hold minimal oil and yes, they are not internally or externally geared for any constant rpm high rev use. Find a yamaha xt225 or xt250, suzuki dr350, etc. Just my $.02

Much appreiated. I have heard the success for the drz, as i have a drz-400s.

Thanks for the info on the 250s. Anyone else with info, i would appreciate it.

ANDROID NEEDS SPELL CHECK!!!

Edited by Ivan-the-hunter

Be honest! Are you going to connect trails or are you going to srsly ride 10+ miles of interstate on a street legal dirt bike that also is just 225 lbs and craves alpine primitive single track? Many are a little optimistic what a dual sport is.

• Like 1

Kmph

Equals to a little less than 80 miles

127 kmph would be 127,000 miles per hour!

I know you meant kph, but I couldn't resist.

• Like 2

It's got a powerband.

Yeah, the neon black one. Not sure what that is, but it must have one.

What the hell is kmph then?

kilo-miles per hour lol

• Like 1

Be honest! Are you going to connect trails or are you going to srsly ride 10+ miles of interstate on a street legal dirt bike that also is just 225 lbs and craves alpine primitive single track? Many are a little optimistic what a dual sport is.

its loosely defined. The Wr250R "Dual-sport" was ridden a very long ways (http://www.basherdesigns.com/2011/06/14/30000-miles-on-a-wr250r/) and the DRZ-400 has been taken around the world by more than one person. small, still good in the dirt, and capable of the long haul. that is what i am after. Oh, and I've already ridden my DRZ over 700 miles in a single day. all highway.

• Like 1