Sign in to follow this  

Selling a "race bike" vs a stocker

What would you guys say sells faster or for a higher price;

-a bike all done up with graphics kits, numbers, and trick parts

-or a bike that looks completely bone stock

Both bikes being clean and mechanically sound.

Which one would you be more inclined to buy? Asking because I plan on selling my bike soon.

I always look for extras when looking at used bikes. High priced bone stock bikes are not that appealing.

Depending on the condition, I'd rather have the raced bike because they already have aftermarket parts on them, it all depends on condition though.

• Like 1

Clean stocker. I don't want someone else's customized bastard child bike... Part of me owning a bike is me building it.

I chuckle when someone say "suspension revalved". Listen, what was setup for you probably won't work for me....

• Like 3

A pretty bike will sell faster and for more money.  Of course, making it pretty will cost money and time.  If the plastics are in decent shape, a fresh set of decals isn't a bad idea.  Anyone can make a bike look pristine with some time and effort.  I would recommend it from a seller's perspective.  Same as selling anything.  People want nice stuff.  "That looks cool!" is worth money.  It might not be worth anything else, but you know that.  

It depends.

I'd rather have the stocker for $700 less than the race bike, since at least then I could install stuff and know how stuff is.

I might buy a race bike if the price is right.

If I had unlimited funds, definitely a race bike since it USUALLY means it has been maintained to keep it in tip top shape.

All those "never raced" trail-ridden bikes have never had a bearing replaced, nor does the owner have a clue about the condition of the bike, unless they actually maintained it.

Fresh top end!

Revalved suspension!

Just had the whole motor rebuilt by my cousin's friend's grandpa's lunchlady's husband's dog!

Clean plastics!

Purple powerband!

Muffler bearings just done!

Metal Mulisha stickers that allow you to do a backflip on command!

• Like 1

A pretty bike will sell faster and for more money. Of course, making it pretty will cost money and time. If the plastics are in decent shape, a fresh set of decals isn't a bad idea. Anyone can make a bike look pristine with some time and effort. I would recommend it from a seller's perspective. Same as selling anything. People want nice stuff. "That looks cool!" is worth money. It might not be worth anything else, but you know that.

I don't know, I've seen some pretty high priced low hour stockers see quickly. I guarantee if I threw up a 07 CR250 with 2hrs on it, it would sell for good money quickly...

• Like 3

And, to Monk's point, investing in a tricked out suspension is probably not a good idea . . . neither is slapping on a new exhaust.  Shiny new levers, though, are a nice touch.  Sprockets that don't look like they are circling the drain are a nice touch.  Wheel wet on the tires and nice clean rims are good.  A seat that isn't all ripped up is good.  You get the point.  Don't invest big money in the thing to sell it, just make it clean and, as you said, mechanically sound.

• Like 1

I don't know, I've seen some pretty high priced low hour stockers see quickly. I guarantee if I threw up a 07 CR250 with 2hrs on it, it would sell for good money quickly...

No question.  

It depends.

I'd rather have the stocker for $700 less than the race bike, since at least then I could install stuff and know how stuff is.

I might buy a race bike if the price is right.

If I had unlimited funds, definitely a race bike since it USUALLY means it has been maintained to keep it in tip top shape.

All those "never raced" trail-ridden bikes have never had a bearing replaced, nor does the owner have a clue about the condition of the bike, unless they actually maintained it.

Fresh top end!

Revalved suspension!

Just had the whole motor rebuilt by my cousin's friend's grandpa's lunchlady's husband's dog!

Clean plastics!

Purple powerband!

Muffler bearings just done!

Metal Mulisha stickers that allow you to do a backflip on command!

See, that is the problem.  You invest in purple power bands and new muffler bearings and you never get the money out of them.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't pay more for numbers and stickers.

No stickers are going to say "I get regular oil changes" or "I haven't been abused"

I hate it when people try to over value a bike they are selling because they say "I just added all these new parts" I will never call to see a bike if I feel the seller is asking too much because of the value they add because of the new parts. They may be new parts but it is still a used dirt bike. 10% new parts dose not mean you add 10% of the original purchase price on to the cost of now used old bike. If I can buy the same bike for less, I will. condition is an afterthought(generally).  Sell your bike for what its worth and don't try to get more. That makes you dishonest.

Edited by 707ktm

Easy $5k

I know alot of people will take off stock plastics when they get a new bike so they can put back on when time to sell.

A clean stock bike is appealing to me. Although a low hour race bike is too. Either way, i look for low hours.

Unless the bike was setup and modded by someone who knew what they were doing, and had an actual goal of improving the bikes performance, I'm not impressed in the least and will go for the clean stock bike. But then I have a different definition of "clean" and "in good shape" than 95% of sellers out there.

I doubt I will ever buy a used dirt bike again because it seems impossible to get what I want without buying a new bike. Street bikes however seem to be easy to find low mileage and babied stock bikes in my area.

I know alot of people will take off stock plastics when they get a new bike so they can put back on when time to sell.

A clean stock bike is appealing to me. Although a low hour race bike is too. Either way, i look for low hours.

I have every stock piece that came off my new YZ incase I decide to sell it down the road.

• Like 1

I would buy a tricked out raced used 2 stroke all day long, but probably not a 4 stroke.  If that 4 stroke motor goes, there goes most of you investment.

I've always had much better luck selling a clean looking stock bike than one I just rolled off the track.

I personally don't buy bikes based off extras. I don't trust hillbilly bob with a crescent wrench and a set of super bad ass ebay monster rockstar graphics. I'd rather it look stock and come from a guy that knows what a powerband actually is.

Completely dependent on the owner...I normally avoid modified motorsports toys however once in a while you can find the good one that was always kept up and treated right........once in a while

• Like 1

Sell your bike for what its worth and don't try to get more. That makes you dishonest.

Huh? Any bike is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  It's business, done ethically, but without emotion.  

The only thing dishonest is misrepresenting the bike, which i wouldn't do.

Getting every last dime you can out of a bike is not dishonest.  It's on the buyer to understand what he is buying, not my problem.

Sorry if i don't care if someone "feels that it's dishonest".

Edited by Euchre

It depends on the seller himself, my friend just went to look at one of John dowds old race bikes. Kid who owned it beat it to shit.

Custom engraved triple tree, and a vertex ignition. Didn't matter, bike was thrashed.

I've also seen stock bikes taken care of super well, and while they're not decked out and gorgeous it was not as neglected as that built race bike