Sign in to follow this  

2013 kx 450 air fork oil change

So I let my seals get dirty and leak.  No big deal!  I cleaned them, sprayed some silicone spray on a rag and wiped everything down with it, seated them again and they were good to go as instructed by JM Suspension that revalved them for me.  No more leaking!  However, I let it go long enough that it feels like it may be a little soft/harsh compared to what it used to be.  My question is since I cant measure whats in there, can I just let the air out, pull the fork, pop the top and turn it upside down, let it drain out, then just replace the outer oil to JM specifications or do I have to do inner and outer?

I guess I should add that there is not many hours on the oils that are in it now, just the fact that it is a little low on the outer.  I dont know if that makes a difference that the inner isnt old.  I could see if they many hours changing both but just a few hours I wouldnt think i would have to change the inner. 

So one thing I've learned is not to use silicone spray on these forks, I used to do the same thing. It gathers in the seals and then they start to leak. Use fork oil and wipe them down after you wash the bike. Yes you can drain the outer fork oil as long as there's not too many hours on the oil, you want the inner and outer to service at the same time.

But, what I would do is just add 5-10cc of oil out of the air filler hole and try that. When I did an oil change I went with 235cc and it made the bottoming harsh, I now run 230cc and yes you can feel 5cc of oil of the these forks. I bought some 10cc needles off of ebay and I can add/remove oil pretty quick now.

I had just finished the project when you commented.  Thanks for the reply!  I never really read into it much but I see your point and NOW i see the need to make sure they are coated after a wash so they dont leak.  About the air hole... Are you saying remove the valve and drop the oil in here to add or remove?  If so is this going into the outer cartridge or inner? Im a Paramedic so I have access to all the syringes and goodies.  I understand about the 5ml change making a difference.  Thats probably all that had leaked out but I could feel it.  Before I would have just dropped them back off at the shop but this is an easy task I just have to learn how to. 

I had just finished the project when you commented.  Thanks for the reply!  I never really read into it much but I see your point and NOW i see the need to make sure they are coated after a wash so they dont leak.  About the air hole... Are you saying remove the valve and drop the oil in here to add or remove?  If so is this going into the outer cartridge or inner? Im a Paramedic so I have access to all the syringes and goodies.  I understand about the 5ml change making a difference.  Thats probably all that had leaked out but I could feel it.  Before I would have just dropped them back off at the shop but this is an easy task I just have to learn how to. 

So you'll need a 5cc-10cc low gauge needle to make the job easier.

Pull the copper cap off and then remove the air valve and add the oil. It's your outer chamber that you're dealing with. Make sure you use a good 5w fork oil, preferably the same as the shop used.

The inner chamber is sealed once it's all together and cannot get to it without taking the fork apart, additionally there's no adding or removing oil form that, it's a set amount and you bleed any extra oil before install.

Thanks for the info! You dont happen to have any maps for the Kawi Config Tool do ya!?  I have the tool and havent how to adjust a map.

I sure don't. I've never even messed with that stuff.

Edited by duhameister