Sign in to follow this  

Wd40

Many of you must use a lot of wd40 like me. I spend a lot of money on it and I go through it like nothing. Is there anywhere were I can get a large amount for a better price? I'm tired of spending 7$ on cans that last me a couple weeks.

Many of you must use a lot of wd40 like me. I spend a lot of money on it and I go through it like nothing. Is there anywhere were I can get a large amount for a better price? I'm tired of spending 7$ on cans that last me a couple weeks.

They sell it by the gallon at most automotive parts houses. It will not be aerosol pressurized though. You have to do that on your own if you buy it by the gallon.

• Like 1

they sell gallon jugs for about 20$ at any hardware store, just pour in a old spray bottle

They sell it by the gallon at most automotive parts houses. It will not be aerosol pressurized though. You have to do that on your own if you buy it by the gallon.

Just a spray water bottle works great, like a old Windex bottle...

• Like 1

they sell gallon jugs for about 20$ at any hardware store, just pour in a old spray bottle

+1 Its much cheaper this way!

I will purchase the 'generic' brand at our local farm store and yes, the evil empire of Wal-Mart has their own brand WD-40. I also like liquid wrench brand, another WD-40 copy. 

What are you using so much WD on? 

I go through a lot too. I spray the bike down after I wash it. Water displacement, correct? 

• Like 1

I never use it. It is not a real lube. Once it dries, it leaves a very gummy residue. It is designed to displace water (and nothing else)  and prevent rusting for a short period until the item can be properly taken apart, cleaned and lubed.

• Like 1

I never use it. It is not a real lube. Once it dries, it leaves a very gummy residue. It is designed to displace water (and nothing else)  and prevent rusting for a short period until the item can be properly taken apart, cleaned and lubed.

Agreed, one can lasts me a year or more.  I rarely use it other than for some rust protection, basic cleaning, light lubrication for like interior door hinges or something, fogging a cylinder for long term storage and light honing.  Otherwise I don't find many other uses for it since it is not for rust penetration (or not very good) and with the stuff I work on mostly I need a good rust penetrant most of the time.

• Like 1

Maybe something like CLP i use to clean guns would be better? Displaces water like WD-40, but still has lubrication properties after it dries.

• Like 1

Like seriously what are you using it on? A bottle will last me a year. It does attract dirt like a magnet.

Edited by DR.billZ
  • Like 1

The only place I use WD-40 is on the chain... keeps it clean, lubed, and looking like new. 

Cheers.

0220141509a.jpg

0220141509b.jpg

0220141509c.jpg

• Like 2

The only place I use WD-40 is on the chain... keeps it clean, lubed, and looking like new.

Cheers.

where do you get the zep that stuff is amazing but I can't find it any more
  • Like 1

Your doing better than me a couple weeks is good.

I never use it. It is not a real lube. Once it dries, it leaves a very gummy residue. It is designed to displace water (and nothing else) and prevent rusting for a short period until the item can be properly taken apart, cleaned and lubed.

You don't find it easier to get dirt and grime off your motor or swing arm and hoses?