Sign in to follow this  

*GENERAL ATV MAINTENANCE GUIDE LINES*

Hello, and don't shoot!!! i come from the dual sport section of thumpertalk, from the land of the DRZ-400S. 

I COME IN PEACE!! don't change that to peices plz.

my friend has two four-wheelers that have sat for a long time (since his father died). its been about a year, and he and his mother are looking to get them rolling again. and have enlisted me to help get them inspected and ready to ride.

I know the basics, and here is my current list: fresh gas, clean carburetors,  spark plugs, air filter, oil filter and oil, Batteries (had a harsh winter, both batteries were killed by it, -20 for over a week at one point....) the little one needs new rear tires.

here is what they are:

yamaha timberwolf 92 2x4  YFB250F

yamaha wolverine 95  4x4  YFM350F

first question: are these just like motorcycles, where the transmission runs off the same oil as the engine?

second question: what about the drive? both of them are enclosed, and unlike my motorcycle, i can't simply spray chain lube on them, so how do i service them?

they do not have service manuals for them, so I am unsure of where to go. .

basically, need to perform a full maintenance, inspection and service on them for beginning the season and also for mid-life servicing (at how many hours do you check valve gaps etc.)

what else should be looked at (other than the obvious outside stuff, such as seat and tires, which i have already gone over)

any recommendations for Oil? altitude is roughly 3500 feet, and temperature rarely exceeds 100 F, and gets down to below freezing (for what oils summer/winter)

one of these will probably be used in the winter for a snow plow.

Edited by Ivan-the-hunter

First, you need to check to see if it has fuel in the tank. This is best done with a match.....Here are step by step instructions on how to do this regarding your quad...

1.) Unscrew fuel cap

2.) Light match

3.) Throw match in tank (preferably from a distance)

4.) Sit back and observe if fuel is in tank

If fuel is not in tank, fill tank with fuel and repeat steps 1-4...

Phaq I hate quads...

• Like 2

Hello, and don't shoot!!! i come from the dual sport section of thumpertalk, from the land of the DRZ-400S. 

I COME IN PEACE!! don't change that to peices plz.

my friend has two four-wheelers that have sat for a long time (since his father died). its been about a year, and he and his mother are looking to get them rolling again. and have enlisted me to help get them inspected and ready to ride.

I know the basics, and here is my current list: fresh gas, clean carburetors,  spark plugs, air filter, oil filter and oil, Batteries (had a harsh winter, both batteries were killed by it, -20 for over a week at one point....) the little one needs new rear tires.

here is what they are:

yamaha timberwolf 92 2x4  YFB250F

yamaha wolverine 95  4x4  YFM350F

first question: are these just like motorcycles, where the transmission runs off the same oil as the engine?

second question: what about the drive? both of them are enclosed, and unlike my motorcycle, i can't simply spray chain lube on them, so how do i service them?

they do not have service manuals for them, so I am unsure of where to go. .

basically, need to perform a full maintenance, inspection and service on them for beginning the season and also for mid-life servicing (at how many hours do you check valve gaps etc.)

what else should be looked at (other than the obvious outside stuff, such as seat and tires, which i have already gone over)

any recommendations for Oil? altitude is roughly 3500 feet, and temperature rarely exceeds 100 F, and gets down to below freezing (for what oils summer/winter)

one of these will probably be used in the winter for a snow plow.

you should drain the tank and clean it, clean\rebuild carb, fresh or charged battery, change oil and filter, check the timing and it should be ready to run. But before you driver it you should change the diff fluids and look at the cv boots to make sure there are no tears.

We ended up doing the following:

Oil and filter change

Diff oil change

New air filter

New (iridium) spark plugs

New batteries

Pulled apart and cleaned the carburetors.

Drained gas tanks, rinsed with new gas, poured out, then filled with fresh gas. New gas line from tank to carburetors.

Both ATVs recwived this treatment. Neither wanted to start when we were done. The bigger four wheeler coughed a couple times. The smaller one showed no signs of running, but at least the starter turned the engine so its not seized.

Next step? Im thinking carburetor rebuild kits? New carburetor?

Oil and filter change

Diff oil change

New air filter

New batteries

Drained gas tanks, rinsed with new gas, poured out, then filled with fresh gas. New gas line from tank to carburetors.

Both ATVs received this treatment. Neither wanted to start when we were done. The bigger four wheeler coughed a couple times. The smaller one showed no signs of running, but at least the starter turned the engine so its not seized.

Yeah, those carbs are going to be a problem if they've sat very long w/ what I'm sure was ethanol fuel. Rebuilt kits would probably get you going as long as you've got a good spark @ the plugs. Throw some sef_sf16.jpgSea Foam in those fuel tanks to help w/ that ethanol fuel. Run high test gas (93) in those quads.

Oil and filter change

Diff oil change

New air filter

New batteries

Both ATVs recwived this treatment. Neither wanted to start when we were done. The bigger four wheeler coughed a couple times. The smaller one showed no signs of running, but at least the starter turned the engine so its not seized.

I would say start with the basics. Fuel, spark, air and compression. Do a compression test, test the spark and if those are good I would agree. New carb or rebuild but I would just buy a new one to save time and know how to set it up.