Spring found in motor oil! 2000 Polaris trail boss 325

hey everyone, I have a 2000 trail boss 325, I was checking the oil, and I found a long spring in the oil. I looked at the schematics and the spring is the oil relief spring. But I didn't see the Oil relief valve...

My main question is has anyone ever seen this happen? and How did it get into the crankcase?  The spring and valve is installed from the front of the motor..

When you go to the schematics, you will have to click on the Oil pump and Oil Filter 

thank you

Edited by Jeremy Finley

Let's see if this image works.

I know nothing about this engine, but I would guess that an unsuspecting mechanic put the spring in first.  Then the piston thingy.  Backwards.  And maybe the spring is small enough to go into the crankcase.

If you pull the cap off off the front, you might be able to fish the piston out.

Just a theory .  .  .  .  . did I mention that I know nothing of this engine?  'cause that is pretty far out there.  I can't imagine how an oil relief would work that would allow the spring access .  .  .  .  .  . 

Edited by Jon K.

Thanks for the reply, thats a good thought on what probably happened. I pulled the plug and the valve was there, so I put the spring back in. So hopefully that its good to go.

Thanks for the help

I wonder how long it has been like that.  'cause that couldn't be good for your oil pressure .  .  .  .  .

Yeah thats what I was thinking also, I'm pulling the valve cover of as soon as I get a chance to inspecet cam for excessive wear and to adjust the valves.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Question_Man
      Hey guys im between a split decision about getting a quad or a dirtbike. So I was just wondering what your opinions are and dont give me 'it depends on who you are' crap. This is a opinion question just tell me what you really feel and why. And if you can tell me the funfactors of your choice and why you choose whatever it was you did.
    • By entrpner71
      If you seen my other thread you will know that I am looking for a suitable quad for my grandfather and mom. I want an older utility quad with good predictable power, low and cheep to repair, and has AWD. There are several models even as early as the mid 90's and I need to know what the differences are for each. I don't even know which ones are 4x4, 2T or 4T, e start or pull/kick, displacement, features and so on. Anybody that knows the difference or has a link to that info please post it. Thanks in advance.
    • By dezracerE
      I cant believe I am the first.
      And I dont own a Polaris...yet.
      I am in the market for an "S" after the first of the year.
      Should be a regular on here.
    • By donwann
      Does anybody know where I can get a service manuel for a 2005 Polaris 500 Predator? I also need some assistance in dialing in the Fox Podium shocks on this machine. I feel that the compression damping is way to stiff, but what do I know? This is my first ATV. It is an '05 Troy Lee edition 500cc Predator with the Fox Podium resevoir shocks on the front and back.
    • By IHScoutII
      Can anyone tell me the good and bad about the predator? I found a 2003 troy lee addition for $1500, I haven't seen it yet but the guy said his brother ran it out of oil so he had a shop rebuild the engine about a year ago. He said they replaced just about everything except the crank which seemed like an important component to skip. Anyways, if there is anything I should look out for, let me know!