Sign in to follow this  

Lost a couple finger tips.

I work at a cabinet shop have for like 14 yrs. About ten years ago at work I had board kick out on me while on a saw and put my left hand into the saw blade. Which was a dato blade and turned my fingers tips on three fingers into hamburger. Lost first knuckle on ring finger and tips on pointer and middle. The next three months after was awful I lost almost all the muscle in my left hand. I consider my hands quite strong because I use them all day long. But it was almost complete mush by the time I was able to use my hand again. That next year I bought my first dirt bike when I was 22. It scared me to death at first because I couldn't hardly hang on to the grips for a long time. But I do give credit to dirt bikes for my speady recovery with my hand and built my muscle back up fast.

The reason I am writing this is I was just curious about other riders who have lost tips or fingers. Do you have the grip back in your hands and do your hands have the stamina for long rides.

Its been ten years this winter since I lost fingers tips. And I go ride almost every Friday ever since and my hands are quite strong. But when I ride for more than about 4-5 hrs my hand gets very fatigued and lazy and I kill my bike a lot because it just doesn't want to pull in clutch lever any more. So I always try to plan my rides accordingly to what my hand can handle. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. And what they have done if anything to overcome this. Because it would be nice sometimes when I am out longer than that window to be able to push through it.

You could try gym straps,wraps round your wrist then the straps wrap around the grip,could help stop you slipping off the grips?dono how safe it is if you fall,but the ones iv used in gym for weights,it's ur grip that hold the strap tight so if u let go it usually loosens up.

I over jumped a table top 8 months ago,broke my leg,was a granny break( femur neck broke) sat for 3 months with screws in,that didn't work so ended up having a total hip replacement,back riding but I pretty much ride in fear of falling as it won't take much to pop the new hip out then I'm in a world of trouble,but hey you gotta do what you love.my pic of me jumping,that was the 2nd last jump before I crashed,literally 2 min after that pic I was a mess on the floor! Lol

That sounds like it sucks man, but it's pretty neat to hear you're still riding anyways!

I don't know how well it works, but I did hear about one guy who had a hand injury on the brake side and would tie a loop of paracord around his wrist and the brake, and would just pull back with the whole arm when his hand got tired.

I lost both my index fingers in a accident .. I'm okay to start with but as the day goes on I find I get lazy with the front brake and sometimes don't use it when I should. I was thinking about a thumb operated brake.

Lost half my muddle finger on my left hand two years ago in a dirt bike incident. I lost muscle as well. I have recently installed a Rekluse to see if it helps. Got tired of pulling my clutch w/ my index finger. G

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that gets lazy with my hand. I will have to look into a rekluse. 2012 450xc-w how you liking that rekluse does your hand strength still fall off after x amount of hours or has it helped.

I make it a point to open up my grip and ride loose with my hands when i can, like coming into some corners, or coming over a jump, etc. Just a second or two sometime . But i do it whenever i can safely without losing much if any time.

kx450f06 what do you think about the table saws that stop when they contact flesh??

kx450f06 what do you think about the table saws that stop when they contact flesh??

Got those after my accident never had to use one from a accident luckily but they work good. But a little late for Lenny.

Saw stop is what they are called.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that gets lazy with my hand. I will have to look into a rekluse. 2012 450xc-w how you liking that rekluse does your hand strength still fall off after x amount of hours or has it helped.

Hand strength is still not what it used to be. I have been working on my forearms recently with a dowel connected to a 5lb. weight with a rope, just rolling it up and down. I believe the Rekluse helps, still wanting to use the clutch normally though. I haven't been out on an all day ride yet, going next weekend for 70-80 miles of S.T., if the monsoon doesn't interfere.

BTW- we installed a Saw Stop at our shop this last winter when our other saw died. Seems like a really good upgrade. Hasn't been tested yet though.

• Like 1

Hand strength is still not what it used to be. I have been working on my forearms recently with a dowel connected to a 5lb. weight with a rope, just rolling it up and down. I believe the Rekluse helps, still wanting to use the clutch normally though. I haven't been out on an all day ride yet, going next weekend for 70-80 miles of S.T., if the monsoon doesn't interfere.

BTW- we installed a Saw Stop at our shop this last winter when our other saw died. Seems like a really good upgrade. Hasn't been tested yet though.

How many yrs has it been since your accident. Like I said mine was ten yrs ago and my hands are very strong now. I use them ten hours a day at work and they don't get tired there. I don't know maybe it just that grip holding it with out the extra leverage of that missing knuckle. Maybe it won't ever get to where I am expecting it.

We have had our saw stop saws for I think 8 yrs now they have held up well. Had a few miss fires where it trashed the cartridge brake. I don't know why they went off fingers where no where near them when it engaged.

have a look at the stegz pegz or legs pegs? my middle aged fingers were killing me after every ride but no probs since putting these on the bike... no more need to hang on in snotty terrain and can just steer instead. they aren't everyone's cup of tea though, when you go down steep hills you need to stop gripping the bike with your legs and this is natural for many riders but those who keep gripping the bike can't adapt sometimes.

• Like 1

How many yrs has it been since your accident. Like I said mine was ten yrs ago and my hands are very strong now. I use them ten hours a day at work and they don't get tired there. I don't know maybe it just that grip holding it with out the extra leverage of that missing knuckle. Maybe it won't ever get to where I am expecting it.

We have had our saw stop saws for I think 8 yrs now they have held up well. Had a few miss fires where it trashed the cartridge brake. I don't know why they went off fingers where no where near them when it engaged.

Day before father's day 2012. Only been a couple of years. Recently broke the same hand, down for six weeks.

Gotta check the blade clearance, just like valves, if the blade is too close it will actuate the circuit.

Day before father's day 2012. Only been a couple of years. Recently broke the same hand, down for six weeks.

Gotta check the blade clearance, just like valves, if the blade is too close it will actuate the circuit.

Ya I usually do everytime I change to a new blade had on do it on starting up and another just did it out of nowhere. Saw stop didn't have any answers why. So we just keep a extra one around so it doesn't shut production down. I think it was the cartridge fault because the new ones look a lot different than the old cartridge s. It was both of our original ones that went dato and the 10" so I think it was something faulty in the original design.

I think my hand took about five yrs before it was getting really good. The cold would kill it so bad but each year it has got a bit better. And also the sensitivity when you would hit the end of the finger finally went away. So hang in there if yours haven't got all the way better in that way yet.

have a look at the stegz pegz or legs pegs? my middle aged fingers were killing me after every ride but no probs since putting these on the bike... no more need to hang on in snotty terrain and can just steer instead. they aren't everyone's cup of tea though, when you go down steep hills you need to stop gripping the bike with your legs and this is natural for many riders but those who keep gripping the bike can't adapt sometimes.

I will have to look into those. Look easy enough to make by yourself just to try them out. Edited by kx450f06