Do you hate neck braces?

Are neck braces really a good choice? How hard are they to get use too? I've been thinking about getting one but I feel like it would mess with me

I never felt or noticed mine since I got it

I do not hate them. I like them.

Better than being paralyzed from a broken neck, wear mine all the time.  :ride:

I don't hate them. I only hate quads, and KTM nut huggers. And hitler, hate him too.

My friends dad took a pretty bad crash in some 4th gear rollers. Bike hit him in the head he was in a coma for 2 weeks. He's still not all there. Doctors said with a neck brace he would've died. I guess they have their pros and cons

I have a UFO neck brace,it's hard to get all your gear on then the neck brace,usually need help!lol

Only issue I

have is when I'm standing on my bike and try to look up I don't get as much movement as I'd like normally have to push against it to look up,but u get used to it over time,I ditched my camel pack to give me more space!

But it works, I over jumped a table top and put me out of action for 7 months,every para medic and doctor I saw after told me it saved my life and at very least I'd be in a wheel chair.

So ya def has pros and cons but def happy to be riding a 2 wheeled bike instead of a 2 wheel chair that's for sure!

They are great never notice a difference!

i notice my leatt when i put it on. it restricts movement a decent bit, but after a few laps its all good and i forget about it

I have no neck so I don't use one.

I have gone through about every brand of neck brace on the market. I finally found the ATLAS neck brace to be the most comfortable and least noticeable. I like LEATT since I get a killer discount on them, but I don't like the bulkiness of them. 

Don't have one .... yet.

I'm a backcountry rider, who races on occasion.  The avalanche pack I wear snowmobiling isn't compatible with neck braces, and I'm more worried about avalanches in the terrain I ride than neck injuries. 

Dirt's the same way - Mostly backcountry/woods/dualsport, with one or two races a year (harescrambles).  Don't put enough miles on the track to make it worth it.

But after a few crashes on the snocross track this year, I'm kinda thinking about one if I continue to race sleds.

i-MN9WbmZ-L.jpg

My friends dad took a pretty bad crash in some 4th gear rollers. Bike hit him in the head he was in a coma for 2 weeks. He's still not all there. Doctors said with a neck brace he would've died. I guess they have their pros and cons

Im curious as to the logic in this?  How would a neck brace have caused death in this situation?

Im curious as to the logic in this?  How would a neck brace have caused death in this situation?

If the neck brace takes a direct hit from any side,it can possibly do damage,the most common problem with them is that when they take the impact like they are designed to do some times the force is transferred and your collar bone may break,but deff better than breaking your neck,my brace saved my life once and I'll carry on using it forever!

yep i broke my collar bone with my leatt on going about 5mph

yep i broke my collar bone with my leatt on going about 5mph

Did you put your arm out to stop yourself from falling?  My nephew did that in soccer and it broke his collarbone.  Im pretty sure he wasn't wearing a Leatt though. 

A collarbone can take the force of a 5 mph hit directly on top of it like a Leatt theoretically could do without breaking.  A 5 mph fall however where you put your arm down to stop the fall will oftentimes result in a collarbone break.  It is and always will be one of motocrosses most common injuries because of this. 

Was your break in the middle of the collarbone?

*edit- I don't wear a Leatt and am not defending them specifically.

Edited by c-slak

Are neck braces really a good choice? How hard are they to get use too? I've been thinking about getting one but I feel like it would mess with me

I have a 2014 atlas brace with the wide body kit. I absolutely love it. I forget I am wearing it sometimes. I always wear it with fox proframe. Never without a chest protector. Make sure whatever you get it fits. I chose the atlas because it's so adjustable. The fact that I could make it wider made a big difference for me since I am a stocky guy.

Don't have one .... yet.

I'm a backcountry rider, who races on occasion. The avalanche pack I wear snowmobiling isn't compatible with neck braces, and I'm more worried about avalanches in the terrain I ride than neck injuries.

Dirt's the same way - Mostly backcountry/woods/dualsport, with one or two races a year (harescrambles). Don't put enough miles on the track to make it worth it.

But after a few crashes on the snocross track this year, I'm kinda thinking about one if I continue to race sleds.

i-MN9WbmZ-L.jpg

That is one badass picture dude!

I gotta start wearing my gopro again...

Did you put your arm out to stop yourself from falling? My nephew did that in soccer and it broke his collarbone. Im pretty sure he wasn't wearing a Leatt though.

A collarbone can take the force of a 5 mph hit directly on top of it like a Leatt theoretically could do without breaking. A 5 mph fall however where you put your arm down to stop the fall will oftentimes result in a collarbone break. It is and always will be one of motocrosses most common injuries because of this.

Was your break in the middle of the collarbone?

*edit- I don't wear a Leatt and am not defending them specifically.

im not really sure. I've had several years perfecting my tuck and roll dismount technique from the bike. i was coming out of a bowl type berm riding the high side and at the end it had a 1 ft ledge or so, i kind of tipped over the high side and fell. id like to think that i didn't but it happened pretty quick. yes it broke in the middle.

im not really sure. I've had several years perfecting my tuck and roll dismount technique from the bike. i was coming out of a bowl type berm riding the high side and at the end it had a 1 ft ledge or so, i kind of tipped over the high side and fell. id like to think that i didn't but it happened pretty quick. yes it broke in the middle.

The reason I asked about the location is:

• The outer third of the collarbone is near the tip of the shoulder. Fractures here usually are caused by an accidental fall or some other type of direct impact (football tackle, hockey check, caricon1.png collision) that transmits force to the side or top of the shoulder. Fractures in this area account for about 15% of all collarbone fractures.
    • About 80% of all collarbone fractures occur in the middle third of the bone. A fracture here usually is related to a fall on an outstretched arm. This area also can be fractured by a direct impact to the middle of the collarbone, especially during stick sports, such as hockey or lacrosse.

• The third nearest the breastbone rarely fractures. Fractures in this part of the collarbone almost always are caused by a direct blow to the front of the chest, often from a steering wheel impact during a car crash.

http://www.drugs.com/health-guide/collarbone-clavicle-fracture.html

Im not saying it's not possible that the Leatt could be part of the issue.  I think that most people blame the neck brace for the collarbone injuries because they occur under where the neckbrace rests.  I think it is just the most likely location of a break that is caused by putting your arm out when you fall.  It does make sense that people would think the neck brace is at fault considering the location but I think it is flawed logic.

Just my opinion though, I am not a doctor.