Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - LAST NIGHT TO ENTER! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Cracked case.. Threw a rod through the front, left and right case.

Just bought a 2008 yz250f

He threw a rod through the front of the case, left and right side. Case, cylinder, crank, rod, piston all garbage.

Question is how does replacing the case work? What I mean is the vins will no longer match the title.. Do you just keep all the purchase paperwork of the case? Do you notify dmv?

Any info would be great. Thanks

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406185795.801720.jpg

Titles always go off of the frame number, not the engine number. The engine number typically does not match the frame number to begin with on a Yamaha. Most titles that I have seen do not even have a spot for the engine ID number.

• Like 1

In California it has a motorcycle engine number spot.

I only buy bikes with titles and every vin has to match, so there's no hick ups when I try to resale, or hurt my resale price.

I try to keep my paperwork tip top shape just like my bikes, but I have never ran into a problem like this. Totally slipped my mind that the vins would change.

I'm guessing I just go to dmv and show them the recites and tell them the engine number has changed and they'll send a new title with the new case number?

I think you are going to find that the cost of the replacement engine will exceed the over-all value of the bike in running condition.  They just do not hold their value like the Honda's do. Similar year/condition Hondas are all selling for at least $1000 more. I've seen complete YZ250F motors ready to bolt in at $1800-$2300-and you can buy complete running bikes for less. It makes no sense to me. There are at least 5 YZ250F's right now on Craigslist in my area selling for <$2000.

Good luck on getting it going again. If you need parts-I may have what you need.

• Like 1

I think you are going to find that the cost of the replacement engine will exceed the over-all value of the bike in running condition.  They just do not hold their value like the Honda's do. Similar year/condition Hondas are all selling for at least $1000 more. I've seen complete YZ250F motors ready to bolt in at $1800-$2300-and you can buy complete running bikes for less. It makes no sense to me. There are at least 5 YZ250F's right now on Craigslist in my area selling for <$2000.

Good luck on getting it going again. If you need parts-I may have what you need.

Must be a Texas thing, around here the Hondas are a dime a dozen. My buddy is practically giving away his Honda and hasn't even gotten a single call.

• Like 1

Yeah I never even thought I would own a Yamaha, specially a 4 stroke. Red or dead all day, BUT the background on this bike is the previous, previous owner.. Re did the front forks and rear spring, exhaust, zeta unbreakable leavers ect. Ect. All the little nick nacks there is. He put a big bore kit on it and sold it. The next owner put all new plastics and graphics on re did all the bearings, new tires yada yada. Rode it once and she blew.. So basically once I'm done, it will be a new bike, everything on the bike is new but the motor, which will be new shortly. (taking her back to stock bore.) I picked it up for 900$ which is fair, I can part it for more than that. I'm looking at 1,500$ for the cases, rebuild in a box kit and cylinder. So I'll be in it for 2,400$. In my area they are listed for 3,000$ and up.

I don't think I will be keeping this bike long, maybe a few hours at most. I will have her fixed and send her on her way were someone else can enjoy her beauty.

Was just to nice of a bike to pass up. Probably end up buying another cr250 2t

Northern California if anyone wants it when it's done.

Anyone wanna see how bad she threw her rod out the front case?

• Like 1

1 - don't worry about the engine number. titles / reg go with the frame number. its far too common to break / replace engines. Keep record. It won't affect your sale price, that is hardly the reason NOT to do it lol.

2- buy a used *engine* and drop that in. that's the cheapest way to address your particular problem. It will also you get you back running quicker. Everything in there i'd consider trashed. Bottom and top. Part what yo ucan to make up the price. Has always worked out for me.

FOR ALL:

3 - MOTORS are electric!!!!!!!!!!

The one advantage you have is that while when you get done you will have market value or more in the bike you will have essentially a brand new motor that you know the history on. Buying any used 4 stroke that is older is a gamble. I did this exact routine with an '03 WR450. Motor in pieces in a box. When I got done I had about $1400 in the motor and I put 10,000 trouble free miles on it. AFAIK it's still running today.

1 - don't worry about the engine number. titles / reg go with the frame number. its far too common to break / replace engines. Keep record. It won't affect your sale price, that is hardly the reason NOT to do it lol.

2- buy a used *engine* and drop that in. that's the cheapest way to address your particular problem. It will also you get you back running quicker. Everything in there i'd consider trashed. Bottom and top. Part what yo ucan to make up the price. Has always worked out for me.

FOR ALL:

3 - MOTORS are electric!!!!!!!!!!

All I could sell would be the clutch, trans, and the head.

Where would you buy a used engine? Seems risky.

The one advantage you have is that while when you get done you will have market value or more in the bike you will have essentially a brand new motor that you know the history on. Buying any used 4 stroke that is older is a gamble. I did this exact routine with an '03 WR450. Motor in pieces in a box. When I got done I had about $1400 in the motor and I put 10,000 trouble free miles on it. AFAIK it's still running today.

Yeah that's why I bought it, it's risky buying a used 4t. Did you like the whole motor in a box kit? Well must of worked if she's still running lol

Yeah that's why I bought it, it's risky buying a used 4t. Did you like the whole motor in a box kit? Well must of worked if she's still running lol

PO grenaded the motor. Broke 5th gear. Motor locked up at high speed. Bent rod, cracked cases, etc. New cases, crank, piston, etc + 7 gears, all new bearings. Was able to reuse the cylinder and the head. When I bought it the motor was in pieces in a box. Mainly bought it because it had a CA plate. It was a fun project and it served me well for a very long time. Then I sold it to a buddy who rode it for several years and just recently sold it again. Still running strong.

While waiting on parts to arrive I decided to polish the swing arm, touch up the frame.

Spent five days by hand trying to get off the protectant coating the manufacture put on, got one side done and decided to bring out the palm sander, and 3,000 rpm buffing wheel. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406784128.175031.jpg

Thinking about doing this to my motor and putting a high temp clear coat on it so it stays cherry clean.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406784209.506777.jpg shouldnt be to hard with the buffing wheel with the aluminum cutting block.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on what a 08 yz250f needs for upgrades? Must haves? Shocks, tires, levers, engine plugs has all that.. Has a stock clutch I was thinking of putting in a recluse clutch but idk how I feel about the ordeal of not having to use a clutch if you didn't want to.

Also thought of getting a new seat cover, found a small tear where the seat touches the gas tank.

Personal thoughts what you guys would do to the bike? I have a month wait on parts, I need to start turning bolts or I'm gonna go nuts.