Sign in to follow this  

150rb vs 250f

I am 14, 5'4 and about 50kgs (110 pounds). I mainly ride trails but i want to get into motocross, I currently ride a ttr 230 and I am getting a little tired with the lack of power. I can go the same speed as my friends (one rides a ktm 250sxf and the other rides a ktm 500excf). We definitely aren't slow riders but we aren't extremely quick either, i also think i have a bit of natural skill. My next bike has to last until i can afford to buy myself a new one and i am torn between a 250f (any brand) and a crf 150rb. Most people would say that i am to short to fit a full size bike but i can tippy toe on my friends ktm 250sxf with both feet, it is a little uncomfortable but manageable.

250f: The main reason i am against getting a 250f is because of the power upgrade and i also am worried that i wont be able to kick start it without someones help, im not worried about the weight though, i can pick up my 230 which is quite a bit heavier than a 250. The advantage of the 250 is that i'm not gonna grow out of it anytime soon and if i do get into motocross i wont have to get a 250 when i turn 16 to be able to race (not sure if this is 100% true...)

crf 150rb: I know that at the moment this bike is perfect for me, however, I think i will out grow it pretty soon.

My dad doesn't want me to get a 125 2 stroke due to the maintenance and extra skill needed to ride one, but i have been looking into the ktm 200 exc

Thanks for the advice 

a 250F has more maintenance than  125 2 stroke, just saying. However the extra skill needed is true, but it will make you a better ride in the longrun because it teaches correct riding techniques and you have to put more effort into going fast. kickstarting a 125 is so easy aswell. Because of those reasons i would recomend  one, a 200 EXC is a woods weapon but it is not suited to motocross. Hope this helps in your decision making :)

• Like 1

a 250F has more maintenance than  125 2 stroke, just saying. However the extra skill needed is true, but it will make you a better ride in the longrun because it teaches correct riding techniques and you have to put more effort into going fast. kickstarting a 125 is so easy aswell. Because of those reasons i would recomend  one, a 200 EXC is a woods weapon but it is not suited to motocross.

well said .... 125's rule!  wait until your dad has to do valves / piston on a 250f ... he would have wished for a 125.

• Like 1

a 250F has more maintenance than  125 2 stroke, just saying.

The maintenance on a 250f isn't much more than a 125 in either time or dollars assuming you don't blow either up.

• Like 1

Personally, I think you will outgrow the 150RB pretty quick, or any other big wheel 85. A 125 or 250F would probably be a good next bike for you. Just be aware that used MX bikes can be a real gamble when it comes to what you are going to get into maintenance wise.

a 250F has more maintenance than  125 2 stroke,

I'm gonna disagree here. 125's in my experience are maintenance hogs, but it's cheap to do. I've had 2 250f's and they were relatively maintenance free for a lot of hours. I put 120 hours on my KTM 250SXF and only did valve adjustments twice, and 1 clutch. Now if you get into having to do a top end, valves, or a complete rebuild, they get expensive. The 2 stroke will go through more pistons, rings and clutches over the same time period than a 250F will.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help, I'll see if I can convince my dad to get a 125 2 stroke xD

Chris my dad was the same way I'm 13 by the way and he was all like oh they blow up all the time four strokes are way better this and that but hen he went on Craigslist and looked at the prices and the prices of the parts and he finally saw that there is nothing wrong with a 2 stroke and now he's getting a 2 stroke lol

• Like 1