Cam chain question!

Hey guys I'm rebuilding my top end for the first time on my 2013 and I have a quick question about the Cam chain, after getting it at TDC I mark where the chain is with a spot of nail polish on where all 4 holes are on both cams, now after removing the chain tensioner and cams can I let the chain fall down? Or does it sit on another sprocket at the very bottom of the motor? Like I didn't know if the chain would jump a few teeth at the bottom if I let the chain lay down like that. If that makes sense.. Hope to hear back!

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

Hey guys I'm rebuilding my top end for the first time on my 2013 and I have a quick question about the Cam chain, after getting it at TDC I mark where the chain is with a spot of nail polish on where all 4 holes are on both cams, now after removing the chain tensioner and cams can I let the chain fall down? Or does it sit on another sprocket at the very bottom of the motor? Like I didn't know if the chain would jump a few teeth at the bottom if I let the chain lay down like that. If that makes sense.. Hope to hear back!

The chain connects to the crank at the bottom. Dont be so worried about where the chain connects to the gears but how the gears are lined up. Take a picture of how the gears look at top dead center. Also look at the tdc mark threw the engine cover. If you happen to move the crank while your working on the bike and the chain slips a few teeth on the crank your marks on the chain will no longer be correct. Its not a big deal if the chain falls down. You can just pick it back up with a magnet. If you dont feel comfortable with that some people zip tie it or put an extension under it to prevent it from falling. Take your time. 

Edited by Taco13

What I'm saying is will it slip easily off the crank if set it down inside of it?

It shouldn't, but it can.  I know.  It is possible to get the chain back on the bottom gear if that happens.  Just remember to re-set your tensioner before you put it back in.  Last thing to go in is the spring and spring retainer bolt.  

It shouldn't, but it can. I know. It is possible to get the chain back on the bottom gear if that happens. Just remember to re-set your tensioner before you put it back in. Last thing to go in is the spring and spring retainer bolt.

Ok thanks! Helps out a lot. Still nervous though

So I let my friend do my piston and attach the cylinder and I didn't get my new shims yet so we left it at that and today I got the new shims and I knew what to do from there so I went and checked the timing mark and of course it's not at TDC anymore. So I look down to make sure every was put together right and while shining my light down past the cam chain guide I realize the chain is even on at the bottom. Is this major? Or can I slip it back on and then set the timing back and be done?

Yeah I got it on and put the cylinder back on and I dropped the chain and it fell off. I was pissed, but after further research there's a little cam chain holder that prevents it from coming off so I'll have to pull the flywheel to get it on most likely. And of course buy a new head gasket.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406976938.133919.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406976917.953508.jpg