Need help with my Kenda K760s

Hey everybody, I just mounted a set of K760 Trackmaster II's (front and rear) on my DRZ yesterday, I was wondering if y'all could tell me the best pressure to run at for tire life. I'm not running rim locks with these tires. I don't ride crazy hard but I do ride a bit of pavement to get to my riding spot. Right now I'm running at 18psi front and about 24psi rear, same as the clymer manual listed for the deathwings. Thanks for all the help guys!

First, TM II's wear moderately on pavement (I'm only running the rear). I bought the bike with it mounted and I've put about 3k miles (70/30).

Second, I run 24/26 psi (F/R) on the street and drop it to 17/15 psi off-road. However i also run rim-locks.

I'd run at least 18 psi to keep the tire from spinning on he rim.

I run 20/20 for on/off road.

I run 20/20 for on/off road.

This also. These tires are awesome. I use my bike basically only offroad but they are surprisingly good on the street. They whine a lot but i have about 1k miles on mine so far and they have plenty of life left. The front barely looks worn and the rear looks like it has another 1000 miles left at least.

This also. These tires are awesome. I use my bike basically only offroad but they are surprisingly good on the street. They whine a lot but i have about 1k miles on mine so far and they have plenty of life left. The front barely looks worn and the rear looks like it has another 1000 miles left at least.

Exactly.....I liked em so much, I had a couple sets on my CR250. They,re just like a D752.:)

Thanks for all the help guys!! I think I will bump the front to 20 and the rear to 25-26. First thought, these tires are awesome in the dirt! I was blasting down a hard packed trail at 45, I wouldn't dare do that on the death wings! They still dance around in the loose stuff and sand a good bit, but better than the trail wings from what I can tell. Do any of y'all notice any vibration on the road? They seem to have moderate vibration around 40-50 mph. I only have about 60 miles on them though so hopefully they will break in. Again, big thanks for the help guys and girls!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help guys!! I think I will bump the front to 20 and the rear to 25-26. First thought, these tires are awesome in the dirt! I was blasting down a hard packed trail at 45, I wouldn't dare do that on the death wings! They still dance around in the loose stuff and sand a good bit, but better than the trail wings from what I can tell. Do any of y'all notice any vibration on the road? They seem to have moderate vibration around 40-50 mph. I only have about 60 miles on them though so hopefully they will break in. Again, big thanks for the help guys and girls!! :thumbsup:

No vibrations, but noisy, yes.

Hmmm...might need to be balanced, or the rims to be trued. Had one little bent spot on the front, but I never noticed any vibration and actually didn't see it until I removed the old tire. The noise isn't bad though, I run mud terrains on my truck so I guess I'm used to it.

I think balancing is worthwhile. I do it at home with a couple of sawhorses.

FWIW, I got a good deal on my 03 simply because the owner wanted rid of a bike he thought had some expensive problem with terrible vibration. In the end the balancing of the rear wheel (mostly due to rim-lock) was all it took to make the bike rideable.

The rear 760 is a good tire albeit with a short life, especially on-road, in my experience.

Edited by shuswap1

I think balancing is worthwhile. I do it at home with a couple of sawhorses.

FWIW, I got a good deal on my 03 simply because the owner wanted rid of a bike he thought had some expensive problem with terrible vibration. In the end the balancing of the rear wheel (mostly due to rim-lock) was all it took to make the bike rideable.

The rear 760 is a good tire albeit with a short life, especially on-road, in my experience.

How did you balance your tires, if you don't mind me asking? This is my first bike and I'm trying to do all of the work that I can myself and I'm always open to suggestions!

:ride: 

A bit too crude for some, but my wheels run steady up to top speed of about 85mph with zero bounce:

Install tire and tube, inflate and remove any existing weights, clean the axle and bearings and slip the axle into the hub. Then, instead of installing the whole apparatus onto the bike I place each end of the axle onto a sawhorse....so that the wheel is free to spin slowly. Mine spins easily and eventually stops with the heavy end down. I mark the spot opposite the bottom (top) and place a small weight on the rim or spoke near the mark. Spin it again(slowly works just as well) and mark the top, putting a weight near the mark. It usually takes a few weights, especially with asingle rim lock, which I have.

Make sense? I warned you it was a little 'bush'! Be careful that wheel doesn't slip off the axle supports....it WILL hurt!

Now if I could just find some nice lead weights instead of the less-useful steel

Edited by shuswap1

I did a riding clinic and was struggling during a hill climbing portion when someone looked down at my tires and said "You have those at highway pressure don't you?".  I knew about dropping pressure but hadn't thought of it then.  Amazing difference.

A year later I was unsuccessfully trying to climb one steep spot on a trail.  After about the 4th failed try I was having a snack at the bottom and it dawned on me that I had my tires at about 20psi which was unusual but I had been doing a lot of road riding.  I dropped them until a boot stepping against the tire noticably compressed it probably around 10psi.  First try I made it up.

The front K760 wears oddly at low pressure and the back K760 seems to wear faster which makes sense since it will heat more from flexing at speed but it makes a lot of difference in traction offroad.

Too soft and it steers awkwardly.

I have a rim lock on the back but not the front.  The rim lock was added after ripping out a valve stem during early season riding where the tire would spin on ice and then grab traction on dirt.  The pressure was low for traction too.

Edited by slowriding

A bit too crude for some, but my wheels run steady up to top speed of about 85mph with zero bounce:

Install tire and tube, inflate and remove any existing weights, clean the axle and bearings and slip the axle into the hub. Then, instead of installing the whole apparatus onto the bike I place each end of the axle onto a sawhorse....so that the wheel is free to spin slowly. Mine spins easily and eventually stops with the heavy end down. I mark the spot opposite the bottom (top) and place a small weight on the rim or spoke near the mark. Spin it again(slowly works just as well) and mark the top, putting a weight near the mark. It usually takes a few weights, especially with asingle rim lock, which I have.

Make sense? I warned you it was a little 'bush'! Be careful that wheel doesn't slip off the axle supports....it WILL hurt!

Now if I could just find some nice lead weights instead of the less-useful steel

that's good info to riders around the world: balance your tires in 5 minutes each, and enjoy a bike that tracks instead of wiggles your fillings out. :)

i used to do the same with stick on weights, just setting the axle on jack stands/buckets/whatever was handy. 

now i'm lazier. i just pop the chain off the rear, and push the pads into the calipers a little, then check/balance both tires right on the bike. easy peas, fast as fleas. 

Slowriding is right, the correct pressure for off-road is quite a bit less than for on-road and it makes a significant difference to grip.

The only reason I don't lower pressure further is because of the risk of having a pinch-flat, which I did last year, in the middle-of-no-where. Sorry I can't tell you what pressure I use, I do it by eyeball, ponder, nuge and thump.

BTW, I wouldn't install a new rear tire for off-road use without a rim lock in place.

Thanks for all the help guys!! Shuswap1 I will probably use your balancing method when I get home next week, seems pretty straightforward. Might even add the rim locks if I'm feeling extra ambitious  :smirk: Is the small bent spot on the front rim reason to worry? The whole assembly still looked solid to me, not cracked or anything...in fact I put about 60-70 miles on Friday before I left town. I will try to get a picture soon...I know problems are hard to diagnose over the net. Anyways sorry for the late response guys, and I really appreciate all the help!!! :thumbsup: