Question.... 2T 4T?

Can someone explain the use of those terms for me?

Edited by DR.billZ

Can someone explain the use of those terms for me?

These terms are used to shorten 2 cycle and 4 cycle engines.

Actually they are two and four STROKE engines but my answer is the same either way. Why T and not S?

Edited by DR.billZ

I see them abbreviated both ways. In my mind, using an 'S' is more correct. I think the 'T' is is based on ignorance. Like cell phone text-speak.

A friend just texted me this. It may be a shortened form of German 'Taktzeit', which is basically.. err.... Cycle. I'm thinking mandates in oil labeling dictated the use of 2T and 4T there and it just followed into internet jargon here.

Edited by DR.billZ

Actually they are two and four STROKE engines but my answer is the same either way. Why T and not S?

What the difference in stroke and cycle I've seen both printed on premix oil bottles.

All engine are one cycle engines. They vary on the number of strokes per their complete cycle. In my mind using the term cycle is incorrect.

All engine are one cycle engines. They vary on the number of strokes per their complete cycle. In my mind using the term cycle is incorrect.

I can see that. I normally say stroke but I thought that was correct. I guess it depends what you consider a cycle. The way your question was worded I thought you were new into bikes and truly didn't know.

Oh sometimes I can play dumb...;). I was playing a bit of a game but I really didn't know why the T designation became envogue

Edited by DR.billZ

Oh sometimes I can play dumb...;). I was playing a bit of a game but I really didn't know why the T designation became envogue

I often wondered the same thing. Never thought much of it just mix my gas and go ride.

I often wondered the same thing. Never thought much of it just mix my gas and go ride.

Exactly!!!

A bird doesn't ponder if it's an effin bird.......it just flies ;)

I knew there was something special about you Tractorman...lol.

For the record, the proper designations:

Two stroke cycle engine.

Four stroke cycle engine.

....and yes, the terms are even often misused on the labels of oil products.

The abbreviations made no sense to me either when I first encountered them....but much like our great TT philosopher Tractorman, I just went with it ;)

Edited by Fattonz

Exactly!!!

A bird doesn't ponder if it's an effin bird.......it just flies ;)

I knew there was something special about you Tractorman...lol.

As long is it isn't special ed lol

4 stroke engines have 4 different cycles Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow, one per stroke.   2 stroke engines have the same 4 cycles it just has 2 cycles occur per stroke.

The term cycle refers to the intake, compression, combustion and exhaust events.

As long is it isn't special ed lol

No way man! A computer whiz AND a philosopher. Can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve ;)

4 stroke engines have 4 different cycles Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow, one per stroke.   2 stroke engines have the same 4 cycles it just has 2 cycles occur per stroke.

The term cycle refers to the intake, compression, combustion and exhaust events.

The term cycle also describes a complete crankshaft rotation.  It is kind of a generic term used to describe numerous other principles of operation also.

4 stroke engines have 4 different cycles Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow, one per stroke. 2 stroke engines have the same 4 cycles it just has 2 cycles occur per stroke.

What you just said is a 2 stroke is a 4 cycle

Actually MG that's not true.

On a two stroke....Intake, compression, power, and exhaust = one cycle

On a four stroke....Intake, compression, power, and exhaust = one cycle

The difference:

On a two stroke the "cycle" is complete in two strokes of the piston or one complete crankshaft rotation.

On a four stroke the "cycle" is complete in four strokes of the piston or two complete crankshaft rotations...

What you just said is a 2 stroke is a 4 cycle

Really? I actually thought he was describing life before marriage ;):)

Actually MG that's not true.

On a two stroke....Intake, compression, power, and exhaust = one cycle

On a four stroke....Intake, compression, power, and exhaust = one cycle

The difference:

On a two stroke the "cycle" is complete in two strokes of the piston or one complete crankshaft rotation.

On a four stroke the "cycle" is complete in four strokes of the piston or two complete crankshaft rotations...

What a woman then?  She has a cycle also...

Cycle is a generic term that can be applied many different ways...