Sign in to follow this  

Getting a FREE XL600!

So my friend had this bike stolen and recovered a few days later. It's in typical condition for an '83 but the A-hole who stole the bike cut EVERY wire he could! I haven't seen the bike just yet but I was told everything including battery and ignition cables had been cut. I'm guessing I will be replacing or splicing a lot. Just thought I would start a support group early on to ease the frustration. Not sure what I'll do once it's complete, maybe a commuter to keep the miles off my L.

• Like 1

So my friend had this bike stolen and recovered a few days later. It's in typical condition for an '83 but the A-hole who stole the bike cut EVERY wire he could! I haven't seen the bike just yet but I was told everything including battery and ignition cables had been cut. I'm guessing I will be replacing or splicing a lot. Just thought I would start a support group early on to ease the frustration. Not sure what I'll do once it's complete, maybe a commuter to keep the miles off my L.

Why tf would you cut every wire possible? Like what did he possibly gain from that?

No idea, maybe to strip it faster or just to be a dick. Either way, he's in jail and I'm getting a free bike :)

No idea, maybe to strip it faster or just to be a dick. Either way, he's in jail and I'm getting a free bike :)

Lol! :) at least you got a free bike!

I personally don't find wiring that hard and I kind of like it. I tend to get burnt alot though...

Any ways, I think a service manual will be your new best friend!

My $0.02...

I think just buying a new wiring harness (or from a salvage yard if you can find one) is a way better option than trying to splice and patch every cut wire.  You'll save yourself several hours of time and trouble plus you won't run into trouble down the road when corrosion sets in to all those splices and you start having intermittent electrical problems (that's when the fun really starts!).

Glad to hear your buddy got the bike back and am even happier to hear the douchebag that stole it got caught.  I lost a beloved Suzuki DR350 back in the '90's that was never recovered (and it still pisses me off to think about it...).

Good luck!

• Like 1

Getting a free bike can be the best or the worst thing that ever happened to you.

• Like 1

get a complete oem wiring harness. check the classifies or the local junk yards, way better than splicing.\