Woods navigation with a GPS. (GPSmap 62, issues ?)

I have a Garmin GPSMap 62st mounted to the crossbar on my bike.

On Sunday I rode a trail for the first time with a group of riders.  I used my GPS to track it and marked a few waypoints along the way.

Last night I took a new rider out on the trail.  I expected navigating the trail was going to be easy, but it wasn't.  I had a couple problems:

1) With the bike (2012 WR450F) idling at a standstill, the current position indicator direction jumps around.  This makes it hard to figure out which way to go at a junction with the bike idling at a standstill.  I often had to shut it off.

2) The map screen is sometimes too small to show me enough detail to figure out which trail to take at a junction.  So I have to zoom in and out and move the cursor around to figure it out.  No problem.  However, once I do that, the map wants to stay where the cursor is, not where the current position indicator is.  Or it doesn't keep the map centered on the current position indicator when zoomed in.

How does one get the GPS to center the map on the current position indicator after zooming and using the cursor ?

Any and all tips on this and advice on GPS navigation while riding in general will be greatly appreciated.

GPS's need to be moving* to get a heading.  At a standstill, you're seeing error in the satellite calculations, hence the "wandering".

* GPS's with electronic compasses like your 62"s"t should be able to determine a heading using the compass when the speed is <5m/h.  Is your compass on and calibrated?

Side-note... My 60CSx had a compass sensor, I turned it off and left it off.  My new receiver doesn't even have the sensors, since I found them to be more of a headache than they're worth. 

North-up navigation might help you make a little more sense of the map you're seeing.  You'll see the trail you came from, and the map won't spin all over the place as you're stopped (the arrow will still spin till you start moving again).  Switching my GPS to north-up is one of the first things I do.

Pressing [QUIT] will re-center the map on your current location if you're panning. 

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907105

Written for the older 60/76-series, but some of that stuff applies to the newer models as well.  I had a 78 (marine equivalent of the 62) and hated it so much I sold it less than 3 months later. 

FILE0859_-L.jpg

FILE0904_-L.jpg

DSC01217_-L.jpg

I had a 78 (marineicon1.png equivalent of the 62) and hated it so much I sold it less than 3 months later.

So what are you using now ?

Pressing [QUIT] will re-center the map on your current location if you're panning.

BINGO !  The problem was that I was moving the cursor to find waypoints outside the current view.  If I press quit it takes me back to navigating at the current point on the map at whatever size I have it at. < -- that is what I needed to figure out.   Seems trivial now, but if you leave the cursor up, it doesn't navigate on the map properly. 

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I have a GPS on my bike (Trailtech Voyager, I know, it's hardly what you could call a GPS compared to a "real" GPS) and I make maps from the tracks it leaves when I am riding a new area following a friend who knows the trails. Before I return to the area without a "guide" a make a paper map from the tracks my GPS made and overlay it on a google map that shows the roads, creeks, contour lines etc. I use this map for guidance as the tiny GPS map screen is really of no help to me.

So what are you using now ?

76Cx.  No sensors, no nonsense.  Just a solid GPS that does GPS things.

The 62/78 tried to cram too much into too small of a screen... made things unusable for me, it felt like using a cellphone with a tiny-ass screen.  UI was difficult to navigate through, the dithered "digital-style" font was hard to read.  Installing maps was difficult, and I never was able to get topo to install properly.  CityNav installed, but searching for a POI took several minutes, vs. a few seconds on the 76.

Maybe I expected too much, I don't know, but ... that 78 was a POS in my opinion.

121-L.png . 197.png

The 62/78 tried to cram too much into too small of a screen...

The 76 has the same screen size, 160x240.

I have a GPS on my bike (Trailtech Voyager, I know, it's hardly what you could call a GPS compared to a "real" GPS) and I make maps from the tracks it leaves when I am riding a new area following a friend who knows the trails. Before I return to the area without a "guide" a make a paper map from the tracks my GPS made and overlay it on a google map that shows the roads, creeks, contour lines etc. I use this map for guidance as the tiny GPS map screen is really of no help to me.

I agree that the 62 has many shortcomings (battery life, screen size, clunky UI, etc.)  However, it never fails to keep me from getting lost.  I always know which way north is, I always know where the trail head is, etc.

On the last ride I had some trouble with zooming and thus had to ride a distance to figure out which trail I was on, but at no time was I ever wishing I had a paper map.  

However, it would be SO nice to have a GPS with a big screen !

The 76 has the same screen size, 160x240.

Correct.  But the 76 doesn't dither the fonts, and it uses a clear and plain font rather than that "digital" one and the tiny one that's impossible to see.

If they wanted to fluff up the UI, they needed a better display to do it on.

This is a LOT easier to see. :excuseme:

13%20Trip%20Computer%20-%20big%20numbers

62/78 also got rid of the "Turn Preview" screen... :thumbsdn:

GPSNavToQdoba.gif

I loaded a map app on my Android phone and it has a wonderful easy to view screen.  The maps can be any PDF or jpeg, just need to size it using Gogle Earth.  I use the Avensa map app and it provides tracks, but not all of the functions of the GPS, and the phone is not hardened like a GPS. 

I loaded the same maps onto my 62 for a comparison, not good with the tiny low res screen. 

I also loaded the same maps onto my Garmin 3590, just need to do a field test.

I want a GPS with the performance of both.  

General info on topo maps for smart phones: http://washingtondnr.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/top-5-reasons-to-download-the-new-capitol-state-forest-map-onto-your-smartphone/

The map I used: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/eng_rms_capmapnu_may2.pdf

Creating custom maps for a Garmin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLzvg2vnUDM

Edited by Chuck.

I use an iPhone mounted into my crossbar pad (holeshot).  It works great, use Navigation apps and can even use the map feature for driving directions.

Good discussion.   I've been thinking about using an Android device for nav, but that is as far as its gotten me.

I missed a trail marker yesterday and got separated from our group.  My 62 saved the day, preventing me from taking a wrong trail even further from the group.  It may be clunky and frustrating, but its better than nothing.