Ds80 help!

I was out on a test run today after repairing my clutch and everything is going fine then suddenly no power and throttle response and the engine goes down to a choppy strange idle then i shut it down. So i get back to my garage and i notice that the hose from the oil injection has a bit of a cut in it "oh no" so i replace the hose and bleed the pump and try starting it and its really fighting me and this bike was always a 1 gentle kick bike i finally start it and it will only idle at wide open and its a choppy idle and really messed. i also noticed no oil coming through the translucent oil hose i had just put on. so does anyone have an idea about what the problem might be am i looking at new piston and ring and a pump or what?

Edited by dirt1080

I learnt how to ride on a ds 80 and wheelie!

I'm not to sure what it could be but I remember the float(and a needle?)in the carb was always breaking,but then I'm sure u would be leaking petrol every where.but it does sound like a carb related issue.

If you are trying to say its hard to kick over and you ran it without oil, yeah, its top end time.

Sounds like it to me also.

At least pick up a new head and base gasket and inspect the condition.

If you end up doing a top-end rebuild I think I would consider running some pre-mix in the tank until the injector issue is figured out.

Sounds like it to me also.

At least pick up a new head and base gasket and inspect the condition.

If you end up doing a top-end rebuild I think I would consider running some pre-mix in the tank until the injector issue is figured out.

ya i was thinking pre mix from now on and at least a full top end will only cost a little less than a hundred bucks.

check compression spark fuel could just be an intermittent spark

if you blew your motor it wouldn't even idle

whenever i hear choppy idle or irregular idle i always think irregular spark

what year is the bike

check compression spark fuel could just be an intermittent spark

if you blew your motor it wouldn't even idle

whenever i hear choppy idle or irregular idle i always think irregular spark

what year is the bike

its a 78 i still need to investigate a little more il test the spark and see if i can find my compression tester tommorow and pull the head and check out whats what.

its a 78 i still need to investigate a little more il test the spark and see if i can find my compression tester tommorow and pull the head and check out whats what.

Yea i have a 78 DS80 too they timing points and condensors, your timing points might be over gapped or faulty their could be a short along the wiring

i've had mine completely die on me and the ground wire on the stator burnt out and another time my condenser wire burnt out and condenser died on me ( i believe it happened because of a bad kILL SWITCH ground on to the coil screw)

it could be a spark problem or it could also be a fuel issue like a dirty jet the only way to tell is to take apart the carb and see if its dirty and test the spark plug pull it ground it against the head/cylinder and kick it over look for steady strong spark. There could also be something blocking the flow of air in or out of the engine

here's mine

IMG866.jpg

Edited by 78SuzyQ

Yea i have a 78 DS80 too they timing points and condensors, your timing points might be over gapped or faulty their could be a short along the wiring

i've had mine completely die on me and the ground wire on the stator burnt out and another time my condenser wire burnt out and condenser died on me ( i believe it happened because of a bad kILL SWITCH ground on to the coil screw)

it could be a spark problem or it could also be a fuel issue like a dirty jet the only way to tell is to take apart the carb and see if its dirty and test the spark plug pull it ground it against the head/cylinder and kick it over look for steady strong spark. There could also be something blocking the flow of air in or out of the engine

here's mine

i pulled the carb and it was whistle clean so il go over the wiring. Thats a nice looking bike! Mines a little rougher ive had it since i was about 8 so i got a little beat up me learning to ride on it and all :p Edited by dirt1080

Here is the piston when i pulled it out a little scaring but looks to be pretty good and the reeds look fine too and the spark is on tine and strong... im quite stumped :s

Hard to tell the condition of the cylinder bore from the picture. Bore look better than the piston?

Provided you can still get parts for it, a fresh top end might do wonders.

Wish I still had my first bike, a `79 DS100. I outgrew it in a short time but it would still be fun to have around.

Best wishes on getting it fixed up, and please update on how things go. 

Hard to tell the condition of the cylinder bore from the picture. Bore look better than the piston?

Provided you can still get parts for it, a fresh top end might do wonders.

Wish I still had my first bike, a `79 DS100. I outgrew it in a short time but it would still be fun to have around.

Best wishes on getting it fixed up, and please update on how things go.

the bore looked great except for two identical rough parts near the bottom it kind felt rusted and was a rusty brown but other than that it was fine. I am hoping i dont need to split the cases and do the crank bearings and seals.

the piston and cylinder look fine to me

look down through the intake port to see if there are gaps between the reeds and the reed body, there shouldn't be any openings this is just something probably not a solution

i'm thinking there's a flow problem it's either air flow or fuel flow so go over the exhaust pipe and see if there's any obstructing flow and see if the carb float isn't sticking and that the bowl is filling up

$T2eC16hHJFoE9nh6qS4YBQ7yvYtVw!~~60_35.J

make sure your needle is going down properly and the clip securing it isn't loose

mQd80T7RI_7mUSB7b-2TGPA.jpg

and also make sure there is no moisture inside the engine as in moisture from condesation any water condensation will cause problems

it's always flow fuel spark and compression it's just a pain to pin point the issue

Edited by 78SuzyQ

the piston and cylinder look fine to me

look down through the intake port to see if there are gaps between the reeds and the reed body, there shouldn't be any openings this is just something probably not a solution

i'm thinking there's a flow problem it's either air flow or fuel flow so go over the exhaust pipe and see if there's any obstructing flow and see if the carb float isn't sticking and that the bowl is filling up

$T2eC16hHJFoE9nh6qS4YBQ7yvYtVw!~~60_35.J

make sure your needle is going down properly and the clip securing it isn't loose

mQd80T7RI_7mUSB7b-2TGPA.jpg

and also make sure there is no moisture inside the engine as in moisture from condesation any water condensation will cause problems

it's always flow fuel spark and compression it's just a pain to pin point the issue

ive check everything else and ive narrowed it down to two possibles either my crank seals have gone bad or its piston and rings. Il get a piston kit as they are pretty inexpensive.

I completely rwmoved the oil tank from my 1998 DS80 and I jusy mix the gas with 2 stroke oil 32:1 ratio.It seems to run better and now I know its getting the proper amount of oil.The oil pump tends to not work right on those bikes after a while and rather then replacing it was easier and cheaper to just pre-mix the gas and oil.I now use the room under the seat where the ouil tank was to kep a spare plug and some tools.

Top end was just put in and breaking it in now runs like new :D

I seen this post the other day but too much rush to reply and say good deal!

Hope it`s still running top notch.