Metal Piece in Oil?

Hi everyone,

So I drained the 08 200xc-w's oil today to change it, and I found a metal wire type thing on the magnet from the drain plug:

IMG_20140724_160520_zpspit8ladr.jpg

In comparison to the left side drain plug:

IMG_20140724_160504_zps9cbvhl5e.jpg

Is this something I should be worried about? Or should I carry on and monitor the drain plug magnet? The bike has 151.3 hours, oil was last changed at 120.1 hours. I'm thinking if I leave it I should check the magnet after every ride or so.

Yikes! I have had many gear boxes apart, but never a ktm, so I don't know, but it is never a good thing to find pieces of metal on your drain magnet. Hopefully it is something in the right side case that is easily accessible. I would also post on ktm talk. Lots of gear heads over there that might be able to identify it.

Its a piece of a heli coil..

Is that an angular cross section or round?

UPDATE:

I ended up checking the other side, and it is indeed a helicoil piece. The right drain plug, due to its fine thread, is often over tightened until the treads are gone. This was the case on my bike, and I guess the previous owner helicoiled it:

IMG_20140725_225259_zpseqpvkjtx.jpg

MAn I almost asked if it was a thread yesterday but figured it didn't quite look enough like one because it's pretty perfect looking as far as shape. Glad you found it, is there enough thread to use a longer bolt?

MAn I almost asked if it was a thread yesterday but figured it didn't quite look enough like one because it's pretty perfect looking as far as shape. Glad you found it, is there enough thread to use a longer bolt?

The right side drain plug is not the oem bolt, so it is quite long