Is there a way to tell what year a swing arm is off of?

Alright, here is the deal, I am doing a complete rebuild on a 2001 rm 250. Factory connection called w my suspension and said it's not off of an 01 rm 250.....but they were busy and haven't had time to figure out what bike the suspension actually belongs to. Today I started putting all new new bearing in the bike, as I was going thru putting new bearings in the linkage, all was going well until the beginning until I went to install the bearings in the swing arm where the linkage connects... Bearings are to small, spacer is to small.... Also leading me to believe the swing arm matches up to the mystery rear shock. Sooooo is there any way to tell if this is off a 2001 rm 250? Markings or anything? Need 2!!! !

From what I can see you have 3 options.

#1  Post a picture of the swingarm and the bike, there's a small chance that someone here might be able to ID it.

#2  Just take the old bearing to an industrial supply store and have them match it up, and forget about what year it came off of.

#3  Bring the swingarm to a dealership, have the bearing OD sizes already measured and have the parts guy cross reference those sizes to a year.  Online parts store like Bike Bandit and even ThumperTalk are very careful in NOT posting the actual bearing size in the online parts descriptions.  They do this because 99 times out of 100 the average mechanic knows that once he/she knows the generic bearing size (width, OD & ID) they can go to just about any industrial supply house and get the same bearing at a 75% or more savings! 

"Yes", I said 75% savings!  The last time I rebuilt a two stroke bottom end my dealership quoted me $25 for each of the two crank bearings.  I ended up getting both of them for $12 at an industrial supply.  Chances are you could do about the same on eBay, just search by the bearing dimensions.

Alright, I'll see what I can do, I'll post a picture of the swing arm, bike is completely disassembled right now. Previous bearings were so rusted and corroded that they crumbled in pieces on the way out, honestly might be the worst condition, most neglected bike I have ever rebuilt.

Whats the frame say? 

I'll never understand how people have bikes and don't know what year they are hahaha

Tenth digit of VIN tells you the year.

Post a pic of the stampings in the swingarm, I have mine out at the moment and could compare numbers

Whats the frame say? 

I'll never understand how people have bikes and don't know what year they are hahaha

I picked the bike up on trade to restore, never tried to even start it, handed over a small amount of cash and headed home w it. Immediately stripped it down to the frame to start the rebuild. It is a 2001 frame and motor, but the suspension is not off of an 01,so once the bearing kit didn't fit, started to wonder if swing arm is off the same mystery bike as the rear shock. Not some goon that has never ridden or completely rebuilt quite a few of these, thanks for the helpful and very intelligent comment.

What numbers are stamped on the swingarm. 2001 should be 37F00.

go to http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm?q=suzuki-parts once you have the number to identify the year

Sweet, thanks for the info, I left for work before I saw this post, I'll check stamp on swing arm soon as I get home.... Almost positive that not the stamping I recall seeing. The mutant, beat to crap has been a challenge, looked at my parts list last night.... Looks like there won't be one single part not fixed, rebuilt, or new when it's back together...cases are going to have to be split and all.... Good times :)

Post a picture like mill said and we'll tell you.

You could have matched microfiche part #'s or googled and looked up pictures of the diff RM's and answered all your questions yourself.

Post a picture of the bike, we will be able to immediately tell you what year group it is.

alright, never didnt know what year the bike itself was, someone installed what i have now found out to be a shock off of a honda onto the 2001 rm 250 i am redoing. so i am just trying to figure out now if its the correct swingarm....for the 2001 rm 250, or if while adding this mystery shock they also put some crazy swingarm off of a different bike onto this 2001 rm 250.

Honda shock ... hmmmm ... you could have a Honda swingarm...

What numbers are stamped on the swingarm. 2001 should be 37F00.

go to http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm?q=suzuki-parts once you have the number to identify the year

Here is a picture of the swing arm and the only markings/stamp that I could find... Anyone have any ideas?

20140725_222924.jpg

20140725_222855.jpg

Turns out my bike is actually an 2002 lol which is 37F00, 2001 is 37E21.

My 02 has the 37F00 stamped next to the numbers you posted above but it also has a '01' where you have a '98'.

Heres my take. Your swingarm was built in the 4th month 1998 which would make it, I believe a late 98 or 99 model.

Mine was made in 7th month 2001 (the VIN reads it as made in 09/01 which is a 02 model (10 digit of VIN is a 2).

Looking at the 98 and 99 swingarms the only real difference is the chain guide (bit the hangs off the swingarm).

I'm 90% sure yours is off a 1999 model. The 1999 and 2001 have different shock mount bearing sizes as you have found out though the pivot point at the front is identical between the 99 and 01.

I'd say it runs the 2001 linkage (assuming the frame is an 2001) with different spacers adapted to suit the different bearing size of the top shock pivot and cr shock.

If it was me I'd try to find a 2001 swingarm and shock.

Edited by millsi

Turns out my bike is actually an 2002 lol which is 37F00, 2001 is 37E21.

My 02 has the 37F00 stamped next to the numbers you posted above but it also has a '01' where you have a '98'.

Heres my take. Your swingarm was built in the 4th month 1998 which would make it, I believe a late 98 or 99 model.

Mine was made in 7th month 2001 (the VIN reads it as made in 09/01 which is a 02 model (10 digit of VIN is a 2).

Looking at the 98 and 99 swingarms the only real difference is the chain guide (bit the hangs off the swingarm).

I'm 90% sure yours is off a 1999 model. The 1999 and 2001 have different shock mount bearing sizes as you have found out though the pivot point at the front is identical between the 99 and 01.

I'd say it runs the 2001 linkage (assuming the frame is an 2001) with different spacers adapted to suit the different bearing size of the top shock pivot and cr shock.

If it was me I'd try to find a 2001 swingarm and shock.

Thanks for the input, I am thinking you are right. Wonder if this was done to make the Honda shock work? Or if it was just some piece together attempt at a repair by the previous owner? From what I can tell all linkage parts appear to be from a 2001 model. Forward motion confirmed the motor is a 2001, soon as I get the frame back from powder coating I will triple check it's Vin...I already have the correct shock headed out to factory connection, now it looks like it's time to hit up eBay for a swingarm. I have rebuilt a few yz144's from the ground up, a few cr 250's, a few yz 250's, a yz 295,and a KTM 300....this one by far is the most beat up, not taken care of, Frankenstein bike I have rebuilt ever!

No worries. Good luck with it!

FYI:  In 1999 RM250's had a 20mm rear axle and in 2000 (and beyond) they increased it to 22mm.  So measure the axle slot height (the short distance) and report back.

FYI:  In 1999 RM250's had a 20mm rear axle and in 2000 (and beyond) they increased it to 22mm.  So measure the axle slot height (the short distance) and report back.

Well, just ran out to the garage, looks like 20mm slot for the axle... Which also means that my rear axle is too small for the 2001 swing arm that is in the mail... And now I am wondering about the back brake caliper, wonder if that's off the 1998 model or the 2001? Good times!!!

I'd say it's a 98/99 caliper. The part on the swingarm that the caliper slides on is different from 98/99 to 01

I'd say it's a 98/99 caliper. The part on the swingarm that the caliper slides on is different from 98/99 to 01

hahahhahaha, but of course!!!! that makes complete sense....one more part that i have to buy for this disaster of a bike lol. oh well, a rebuild is a rebuild, all part of the fun. if i am dropping this much coin on a complete overhaul, might as well get everything i need to put it back together correctly!!! now searching for new rear caliper, plus axle, and hub, wooo hoooo