Really hot stater cover? Why

Hi I have an 02 drz400s I've found that my stator cover is really hot compared to other areas of the engine block/cases. The engine temp is 183 give or take on water jacket of cylinder, the head is hotter at 190's or just high 180's, the water pump cover is 170's, the oil filter cover is high 160's, the block is in the 140-150 range, but the stator cover is way hotter high 190's the access plug is 212 or so. Is this normal or have I got a problem going on in there? I've never heard of anything like this happening before.

What brought this to my attention way the other day it was in the low 90's out side and was riding the bike home when it started acting strange. The engine stalled hard off just closing the throttle. I try to restart it and it turn over really hard like had started to seize on me! Luckily I was home and got it running again and I put water to the water pump cover and cooled it down. The water temp gauge in the trail tech vapor said 193 and didn't have the fan override on either.

So do you all think?

So If someone can run their bike up to temp or check after a ride what the cover temp is all over it and let me know what you have that would be great. This would let me know if it's time to take it apart to see what is going on in side there, cause it burning up!

Thanks guys

So do you all think?

What are you using to take the temp at all these different areas?

If its with a Harbor Freight infrared thermometer  I wouldn't worry about it.

I get a 20 degree variance on beer in the same 30 pack in the shop fridge with the HF  pos.

What are you using to take the temp at all these different areas?

If its with a Harbor Freight infrared thermometer  I wouldn't worry about it.

I get a 20 degree variance on beer in the same 30 pack in the shop fridge with the HF  pos.

I never have the time to check the temp of my beer. :cheers:

The alternator (stator) cover runs hot because of the alternator.  The heat of the generating coils is conducted into the cover, some of the heat is also carried away by the oil.  I do not know if the temps you report are common but It is common for the alternator cover to be a bit hotter than some other parts of the motor.

I've noticed on both my DRZ400 & KLX450, both covers are ALWAYS HOTTER

Hi I have an 02 drz400s I've found that my stator cover is really hot compared to other areas of the engine block/cases. The engine temp is 183 give or take on water jacket of cylinder, the head is hotter at 190's or just high 180's, the water pump cover is 170's, the oil filter cover is high 160's, the block is in the 140-150 range, but the stator cover is way hotter high 190's the access plug is 212 or so. Is this normal or have I got a problem going on in there? I've never heard of anything like this happening before.

What brought this to my attention way the other day it was in the low 90's out side and was riding the bike home when it started acting strange. The engine stalled hard off just closing the throttle. I try to restart it and it turn over really hard like had started to seize on me! Luckily I was home and got it running again and I put water to the water pump cover and cooled it down. The water temp gauge in the trail tech vapor said 193 and didn't have the fan override on either.

So do you all think?

So If someone can run their bike up to temp or check after a ride what the cover temp is all over it and let me know what you have that would be great. This would let me know if it's time to take it apart to see what is going on in side there, cause it burning up!

Thanks guys

is your radiator fan working ? radiators full ? waterpump pumpin ? 

if those are, it shouldn't overheat or suffer any ill effects while riding on a hot day. the only time i've seen heat be an issue was one time that my fan was smashed and not functioning. otherwise, the bike stays in a nice usable warm range of operation. 

yes, the side covers are very thin, and designed to shed heat.

as noble pointed out, heat is also generated by the stator on the left side, but nothing generates heat on the right side case cover unless your clutch is really being wooped on a lot. 

I have a snap-on inferred temp gauge gun. I've used it on diesels engines and transmissions it's on the money! The fan works I just don't use the override switch unless I'm in stop and go traffic. I've never touched the water pump and the bike is an 02 with 5K on it. I'm use engine ice coolant. The radiators are full and there is a new radiator cap on too.

I ran it yesterday it seemed fine but that really high temp on the stator cover has me nervous, cause it's 20 degrees higher. And the fact it stalled and was hard to turn over, makes me think there is something funky going on! Time will tell thou.

If anyone has any thoughts of what to have a gander at I would gladly follow your lead and have a look see and report back with my findings.

Thanks guys

Have you ever changed the stator before?

The alternator (stator) cover runs hot because of the alternator.  The heat of the generating coils is conducted into the cover, some of the heat is also carried away by the oil.  I do not know if the temps you report are common but It is common for the alternator cover to be a bit hotter than some other parts of the motor.

Thats why I dont use a case saver on the stator side. The case saver with a silcone bed prevents some the heat being transfered away stator. Higher stator tempertures = more likley overheated and burnt out stator. Thats my line of thinking. 12 years and still on the same stator.

The stator coils should be good to 150 degrees Celsius, which I believe is over 300 degrees Fahrenheit.  The coils are oil cooled.  As long as your bike has plenty of oil you should be okay.  The coils generate some heat and will burn up if not cooled by the oil, but they put out about 200 watts of power so the heat output must be a fraction of that.

Thats why I dont use a case saver on the stator side. The case saver with a silcone bed prevents some the heat being transfered away stator. Higher stator tempertures = more likley overheated and burnt out stator. Thats my line of thinking. 12 years and still on the same stator.

That theory is sound for heat dissipation, I wonder if that's why they chose magnesium verses aluminum in that area also. Rather than years , I look at miles on a stator , if you have more than 25 or 30,000 miles on a stator that's outstanding.