Getting ready for Jack Pine - training rides?

Ok guys, i plan on attempting to bucketlist the jack Pine this year.  since i am currently recovering from an Achilles blow out,  and couldn't ride all winter , spring and until now (just got medical release) its probably a tall order for a 60 year old man.  but regardless of all that!.

So i will be rolling into Michigan in early August,  with the plan of setting up a camp,  and riding every day - 2X per day,  to get ready. 

So i have focussed in on the Tomahawk area as kind of a home base,  and thinking about riding tomahawk area loops to get started.  ride one way one day,  reverse it the next,  mix up the loops.    In your opinion,  would those be good trails to work on?  I recognize the Jackpine it tight and twisty,  but first and most important i need to get to ride 4 or 5 hours pretty much non stop.  from there i can try and fine tune my tighty skills. 

I looked at Kalkaska,  but that looks to be all ORV trails, so probably not as taxing or good prep.  grand traverse looks like it might be a good place to spend a few days.

So if you were me,  where would you spend a week - 10 days putting in time riding into shape ?

carl Johansson

Fresno Ca

Edited by carl johansson

@Carl

First: Good for you!

Second: I highly recommend the 'Bull Gap' areas. 80mi of varying terrain at this time of the year gives you great options for both riding and camping. I just rode there for a straight week and found it fantastic with much variation, not super tight, but nice. Most is 50"

Third: I am in the Grand Rapids area and on a sport quad (due to an injury) at the moment, but feel free to contact me when in MI, I can ride during the week.

You,sir,are to be commended! Best of luck!

If you want roots,rocks,steep hills,loose sand,tight twists through the trees,and big whoops, I recommmend Evart trail.

http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/evart_motorcycle_trail.pdf

Exactly. I wouldn't go near bull gap if you are trying to practice riding jack pine. Lake county (baldwin/irons/carreyville/luther) are also other places to consider. They have wide width trails, but they are extremely easy to avoid and have more motorcycle only trails than you can shake a stick at. Lincoln Hills, Tin cup, little Manistee and others have all sorts of narrow, winding, sandy, rocky(ish) single track. Tin cup had a bunch of whoops the last time I rode up there (enough to make me swear at my suspension and cause me to get a revalve...and it is awesome now...).

At one time Evart was labeled as the most difficult Trail in Michigan by the CCC.

I wonder if the Quads and UTV's have ruined it.

No they haven't ruined it, it just happens to be a very tame trail....it must have been labeled by people that don't know what a challenging trail is

No they haven't ruined it, it just happens to be a very tame trail....it must have been labeled by people that don't know what a challenging trail is

MrRong,

I think it's rude saying that about the CCC.

It's The CCC ands it's Members that maintain these trails so you can ride on them. I'm guessing your not a member and probably don't volunteer to help maintain trails like a lot of us.

If you were you would know why they rate trails.

If you want a more challenging ride then hook up with the club in Marquette, and ride the course they run the Enduro on.

I rode the UP 300 up there and it was the most challenging ride ever.

Happy Trails

MrRong,

It's The CCC ands it's Members that maintain these trails so you can ride on them. I'm guessing your not a member and probably don't volunteer to help maintain trails like a lot of us.

You should read his response again. He didn't say anything negative about the CCC. He simply gave his opinion on the difficulty of a particular trail.

Also, if anything, not maintaining a trail makes it MORE difficult.

MrRong,

If you were you would know why they rate trails.

If you want a more challenging ride then hook up with the club in Marquette, and ride the course they run the Enduro on.

I rode the UP 300 up there and it was the most challenging ride ever.

Happy Trails

I didn't say anything about the CCC and you are right I don't volunteer or donate one cent for trails in MI. I've done my fair share of that and now I'm done. And if I'm going to drive as far as Marquette, i'll just head down south. I can be at the hatfield McCoy trails in just about the same time it would take me to get to the UP. I love riding in MI, but I won't lift a finger to help it out.

Thanks for the replys so far guys,  it helps.  So right now I expect to be in michigan up around Tomahawk somewhere around the 6th or 7th.  I plan on setting up a camp there, I have a portable "compound" on the suburban,  2 tents, camp chef 2 burrner stove,  propane shower, generator, toaster oven pannini press, etc,Luxury Getto!   So I will set up on one of the trailheads and Ride Tamahawk for 3 or 4 days.  Then I will head over to Grand Traverse.  Probably set up camp in the state forest campground right there.  I will ride that for 2 or 3 days.  From there, I'll pack up and head clear down to Warren Dunes, for a 3 day campout with 4 generations of family ( most of my family lives in the Troy area).  After warren dunes,  then I will move my camp somewhere close to where the JackPine  will be run,  and ride and get ready for the enduro.   

After that, I'll probably be sick of riding -  or injured,  so I will probably switch to fishing  and hanging out with various family, watching kids hockey, football,  and whatever else comes with the start of school.

From my view the Michigan CCCT, and the clubs that keep it going are spectacular.  I'm willing to put in a 6000 mile round trip to ride those trails.  Did the whole MCCCT several years back -  supported,  thninking of redoing it unsupported!

I'll fly home to California Sept 10th,  leaving all of my gear behind,  take care of business till 1st of october,  fly back in ,  fish and ride and enjoy fall colors till it gets to cold -  then head out back to California!  

• 3 weeks later...

I might be up for a ride when you get to Grand Traverse. Probably couldn't keep up though. Drz 400 and I'm more of a dual sport rider than full offroad. But I'd like to try.

I sent you contact info in a PM,  I plan on setting up at the state park there on the Pierre marquette state forest and riding grand Traverse Wed - friday this week (aug 20 - 22)