2007 cr 250

Big cr fan. I own a 2001 currently and came upon a 2007. It's list price is 3k, is it worth it?

Big cr fan. I own a 2001 currently and came upon a 2007. It's list price is 3k, is it worth it?

Depends on how low hour/nice it is.

I hope it is all it claims to be in the ad. I look to ride it this weekend and will draw my opinion from there.

When I bought my 06, I did a thorough investigation into the health of the motor, pulled the pipe to look at the piston and cylinder walls, pulled the seat to look to see if the air filter was clean, Pulled the filter to see if it had dirt past the filter (which it did and I cleaned it as soon as I got home but the cylinder walls weren't too glazed so it didn't throw up too much of a red flag).  I checked for slop in all the bearings, wheels, swingarm, linkage, rear shock and steering.  If all of that checks out, you might see if the seller will go down in price at all, if he won't and you still love the bike, then maybe pay full price.  It never hurts to ask if he will go down though. 

Ive got an 04 that has about 5 hours on it since new. If your interested in it let me know.

Get the 07!

It's a keeper

Honda didn't make very many 07's. If it is nice, snap it up because you may wait a long time for another one to pop up.

Yep.

Edited by YHGEORGE

When I bought my 06, I did a thorough investigation into the health of the motor, pulled the pipe to look at the piston and cylinder walls, pulled the seat to look to see if the air filter was clean, Pulled the filter to see if it had dirt past the filter (which it did and I cleaned it as soon as I got home but the cylinder walls weren't too glazed so it didn't throw up too much of a red flag).  I checked for slop in all the bearings, wheels, swingarm, linkage, rear shock and steering.  If all of that checks out, you might see if the seller will go down in price at all, if he won't and you still love the bike, then maybe pay full price.  It never hurts to ask if he will go down though. 

If you take my motorcycle apart to question my integrity and then lowball me, I'll just throw you out with your offer up yer ass.

I hate it when people try to low ball me on the phone before even looking at the bike.  As mentioned the 07's are sought after I've owned 3 of them thru the years & sold the first 2 for a combined profit of aprox. $800.  I didn't even post them for sale they sold while out riding.  The 3rd I bought in 2011 & is a keeper since I don't really see them posted often in my area.   IMHO they will eventually go up in value as they get harder to find.   

If you take my motorcycle apart to question my integrity and then lowball me, I'll just throw you out with your offer up yer ass.

I didn't lowball anyone.  I asked the seller permission before I did anything. If you buy a bike with just surface inspection, you deserve what you get when you get the bike home.

Edited by frdbtr

I didn't lowball anyone. I asked the seller permission before I did anything. If you buy a bike with just surface inspection, you deserve what you get when you get the bike home.

I kinda tend to side with the others. You aren't buying a new bike. New condition shouldn't be assumed unless its stated in new condition. You should be able to tell the general condition of a 2-stroke fairly easily. If you took my bike apart then came back I'd tell you to pound sand. Count yourself lucky you found someone so willing to accommodate you.

I kinda tend to side with the others. You aren't buying a new bike. New condition shouldn't be assumed unless its stated in new condition. You should be able to tell the general condition of a 2-stroke fairly easily. If you took my bike apart then came back I'd tell you to pound sand. Count yourself lucky you found someone so willing to accommodate you.

ok.  I didn't take the bike apart, I took the pipe off and shined a flashlight into the cylinder to inspect the cylinder walls and piston skirts.  I took the seat off and looked at the condition of the air filter, I removed the air filter and rubbed my finger inside the air box.  Frankly, if the seller had refused to let me inspect the bike, I would have walked.  I did not disrespect the sellers bike, I inspected it and I inspected it thoroughly.  Yes, you are buying a used bike so it needs to be inspected it was a $2600 investment and I wasn't going to pay that for it and then get the bike home and find out it needed another $1000 in repairs.  I do the same thing with used cars because the investment is so high, if a seller won't let me have a mechanic look at a used car I am interested in, I walk.  It is as simple as that, if you are going to buy a bike, car or any other major investment with just surface inspection, you deserve what you get when you get the product home.

It's worth as much as you, or someone else is willing to pay.

ok. I didn't take the bike apart, I took the pipe off and shined a flashlight into the cylinder to inspect the cylinder walls

Let me try and say this without offending you at least that is not my intent. If I knew you I'd be fine with you disassembling parts of the bike. Since I don't you would not be taking my bike apart. Remove the seat sure remove the pipe and air filter no way.

To much can go wrong. If you wanted to have it inspected by an authorized Honda dealer on your dime I'd be ok with that. Who is to say the person removing the parts doesn't slip something in there if they aren't happy you didn't take there low ball offer. Nothing against you there are just to many weirdos that are mostly tire kickers and looking for the deal of a lifetime. If the person injures themselves while on your property disassembling it the homeowner is on the hook.

For something that is priced right there are to many other buyers out there to deal with finicky buyers just my opinion.

Let me try and say this without offending you at least that is not my intent. If I knew you I'd be fine with you disassembling parts of the bike. Since I don't you would not be taking my bike apart. Remove the seat sure remove the pipe and air filter no way.

To much can go wrong. If you wanted to have it inspected by an authorized Honda dealer on your dime I'd be ok with that. Who is to say the person removing the parts doesn't slip something in there if they aren't happy you didn't take there low ball offer. Nothing against you there are just to many weirdos that are mostly tire kickers and looking for the deal of a lifetime. If the person injures themselves while on your property disassembling it the homeowner is on the hook.

For something that is priced right there are to many other buyers out there to deal with finicky buyers just my opinion.

Have you ever worked on a 2 stroke?  Pipe is 2 springs and 2 bolts, a filter is 1 bolt.  Like I said, if I came to look at a bike and asked if I could remove the pipe to look at the cylinder walls and piston skirts, if the owner said no, I would bid him a good day and move on.  We are talking about thousands of dollars, and it should be worth letting a buyer inspect it.  Frankly to me it would feel like the person was hiding something.  I have been on this website to see the disasters some posters have bought that I would never buy a 2 stroke without being able to look inside the cylinder.  A bike could look absolutely pristine on the outside and have a steel sleeve installed on the inside with mismatched ports......BANG $400 cylinder that was not known about during the inspection.  I have never offended anyone by asking politely if they would mind me removing the pipe to inspect the cylinder and piston.  If you are being honest with me, you wouldn't have a problem with that, if you are hiding something you might.

One other thing, I would trust a buyer to inspect the bike while I am watching more than letting them load the thing in the back of a truck to take to a dealership as well.  If I didn't trust the buyer, I would remove the pipe myself instead of letting them do it.

Edited by frdbtr

Have you ever worked on a 2 stroke?  Pipe is 2 springs and 2 bolts, a filter is 1 bolt.  Like I said, if I came to look at a bike and asked if I could remove the pipe to look at the cylinder walls and piston skirts, if the owner said no, I would bid him a good day and move on.  We are talking about thousands of dollars, and it should be worth letting a buyer inspect it.  Frankly to me it would feel like the person was hiding something.  I have been on this website to see the disasters some posters have bought that I would never buy a 2 stroke without being able to look inside the cylinder.  A bike could look absolutely pristine on the outside and have a steel sleeve installed on the inside with mismatched ports......BANG $400 cylinder that was not known about during the inspection.  I have never offended anyone by asking politely if they would mind me removing the pipe to inspect the cylinder and piston.  If you are being honest with me, you wouldn't have a problem with that, if you are hiding something you might.

One other thing, I would trust a buyer to inspect the bike while I am watching more than letting them load the thing in the back of a truck to take to a dealership as well.  If I didn't trust the buyer, I would remove the pipe myself instead of letting them do it.

$400 cylinder as long as it a honda.  Try getting a suzuki one for that!

I do understand your point and as a buyer if someone was selling the bike as a pristine, perfectly maintained bike I would agree with your point. 

As a seller, I would be reluctant to let someone off the street pull my filter and pipe.  I guess I would have to get a feel for the individual prior to making that call. 

One other thing, I would trust a buyer to inspect the bike while I am watching more than letting them load the thing in the back of a truck to take to a dealership as well. If I didn't trust the buyer, I would remove the pipe myself instead of letting them do it.

Yup worked on a 2 stroke with the idle issues I've had lately I've had the pipe on and off a few times already. You are a more trusting person than I if your willing to let any joe blow walk in your garage and start removing parts. I'd let you walk is all I'm saying and move on to the next buyer. Feel good you found someone to accommodate you. If you walked into a dealer and asked to disassemble one of their used bikes yourself what do they think they would tell you?

Usually when someone wants an inspection done the buyer arranges it with the dealer and pays for the inspection up front. The seller drops the bike/car off for inspection. And picks it up when done. Perfectly safe.

If the couple thousand dollar "investment" is that important to you the minimal fee charged by the dealer shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by xokia

Whoa! You ain't feeling me, never. Period.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Yup worked on a 2 stroke with the idle issues I've had lately I've had the pipe on and off a few times already. You are a more trusting person than I if your willing to let any joe blow walk in your garage and start removing parts. I'd let you walk is all I'm saying and move on to the next buyer. Feel good you found someone to accommodate you. If you walked into a dealer and asked to disassemble one of their used bikes yourself what do they think they would tell you?

Usually when someone wants an inspection done the buyer arranges it with the dealer and pays for the inspection up front. The seller drops the bike/car off for inspection. And picks it up when done. Perfectly safe.

If the couple thousand dollar "investment" is that important to you the minimal fee charged by the dealer shouldn't be a problem.

Like I said, if I didn't trust the guy to do it, I would tell him "no, but I will do it for you" and let him have a look.  I am not disrespectful with guys stuff, my conversations go very respectfully with people which is probably why I have never had a seller balk at me wanting to inspect his bike.  My inspections are to confirm that the bike is worth the price we already agreed on, not to try to talk him down.  If I found something major wrong in with the bike, I wouldn't say "well, I need to buy a $400 cylinder so I want $400 off of the price", I would just tell him I decided to keep looking and walk away.  If you treat people respectfully, they will do the same with you.  My point to the OP was that he should inspect the bike very carefully and then make an offer.  Most sellers list their bikes at a price expecting folks to try to talk them down, if you asked him if he would be willing to accept $2700 for the bike when he was asking $3k, then you got a better deal if he accepts, if he says "no, but I will accept....." then you still may have gotten a better deal, if you are in love with the bike and he says "No, I won't drop a cent below my asking price" then you will have to decide if you are willing to pay that, having fully inspected the bike, or walk.  Simple as that.