How long will a kid wear a new helmet?

I wanted to ask some of you about the helmets you are putting your kids in. My boy just started to actually ride harder this year and it has got me thinking about helmets. Right now he just wears a cheap DOT helmet. 

The 6D concept really makes a lot of sense to me, but it is a large chunk of change to put down. If that cost is spread out over a few years, it doesn't seem so bad. In your experience (on average), how many seasons could I expect my 5 year old to get out of a new helmet?

Helmets should be replaced after any impact.

Helmets should be replaced after any impact.

I understand that and agree.  I am asking how long before a kid generally outgrows their helmet.

I understand that and agree. I am asking how long before a kid generally outgrows their helmet.

I don't know two or three years if they don't have any big growth spurts. It's all a timing thing.

That's any one's guess. You might have him wear it for a few seasons or he might hit a growth spurt and be done with it in one. IMHO, get a decent, but not top shelf helmet, new, properly fitting and tell yourself it's a lot cheaper than paying for a lifetime of diapers and home care. I'll take a lot of short cuts and cheap out, but not on helmets.

I went and had him try on a bunch of helmets today. The kid is 5 years old and he fits an adult medium in most brands and an adult small in the 6D. I bought him a 6D but we haven't taken the tags off yet in case I want to return it. 

He is on 50s now, so I debate whether the 6D is necessary. I would just hate to buy a cheaper helmet and then have him get a concussion and sit there wondering if he would have gotten it with the better helmet.

Edited by jeffstally

With either replacing do to out growing, crashing, or just wearing them out. We are on helmet #7 from age 5 to just turning 13.

Did you have him try on youth helmets? There's a difference in the construction between children's helmets and small adult helmets and the dealer should have told you that. IIRC, it has to do with the length of the helmet around the cranium. I'd go back and have him try on child/youth sized helmets and see if any of them fit. Clearly if no youth helmets fit, he'll need to wear an adult helmet, but if a youth say XL fits, get that instead of the adult small.

I went and had him try on a bunch of helmets today. The kid is 5 years old and he fits an adult medium in most brands and an adult small in the 6D. I bought him a 6D but we haven't taken the tags off yet in case I want to return it. 

He is on 50s now, so I debate whether the 6D is necessary. I would just hate to buy a cheaper helmet and then have him get a concussion and sit there wondering if he would have gotten it with the better helmet.

Why are people always forget that a concussion of the same severity would be more harmful to a child than an adult. You know the whole developing brain thing with kids

Yet we will put them in helmets at 7 and tell them to run into each other at football practice...

On a 50, that kind of helmet may be a bit much unless he is jumping huge doubles.  However, If you can afford a better helmet, get it.