Sign in to follow this  

Do I need a new clutch?

I got a 1994 RM250,when I shift out of nuetral into first gear the bike wants to take off while the clutch lever is pulled all the way in.It feels like its in gear when the lever is pulled in.The bike wants to go.Is that the sign that I need a new clutch or clutch basket?

Mine was doing the exact same. If it is properly adjusted and still not disengaging the fingers on the basket are probably notched. You can file them smooth and get a little more life out of it.

I got a 1994 RM250,when I shift out of nuetral into first gear the bike wants to take off while the clutch lever is pulled all the way in.It feels like its in gear when the lever is pulled in.The bike wants to go.Is that the sign that I need a new clutch or clutch basket?

ALL RM's are like this. REMEMBER...It's a race bike, drop clutch to launch and never use it again, thats it's design, that's what it does.

You clutch basket is grooved, file it or buy a new one.

I watched a video on youtube about filing the clutch basket,looked pretty straight forward.Im gonna buy a new clutch kit first then file down the grooves in the basket.Thanks for the replys.