Sign in to follow this  

Ebay CRF70 Cylinder and Cylinder Head kits.

Looking for feedback from anyone who has used the chinese made  xr70/crf70 cylinder kits and cylinder head assemblies that are being sold by several vendors on e-bay.

I have a rather tired 2000 xr70 that I am helping a friend sell.    Thinking about keeping it myself and fixing it up - I am in my mid-50s and just looking to have some to fiddle on in the garage and to give the old girl a second life.    The motor has *alot* of time on it and compression is *mighty* low.

For durability I would go with all honda parts on a rebuild - except for maybe kibble white valves...  But things add up really fast and make it not "pencil out"...

That has me looking at  a complete new top end is available from several vendors on ebay for around $125.    This includes - gaskets, cylinder, piston, pin, rings & complete cylinder head assembly.  

So has anyone run these parts on their xr70 or crf70?  Any issues?   Does anyone have enough time on this setup to provide any feedback on durability?

jeff

My son rode it today for about an hour and it ran great. It has a stock exhaust system, stock carb and K&N air filter. It only required a small adjustment of the pilot screw. Sounds deeper and poppier. Compression test went from 60 psi up to about 125. I'm guessing it will get up to the full 135 when the rings seat. All in all a great value for $125.00. Came with the high flow oil pump as well. I don't think I could buy an OEM oversize piston and ring kit and get it bored for that price, not to mention the driving stuff around and waiting for machining. Two things I had to order to complete the job, the clutch removal socket (Ebay $7.99) and the right enging case gasket, both required for the high flow oil pump mod. OK, I rode it too. When he outgrows it I'm buying the heavy spring kit and riding around Road America when I watch the Superbike Double header.

Thanks.  I have no real desire to punch it out.  I also don't want higher compression.   Want to keep it as a kid's bike.    A complete cylinder "kit" on e-bay with the stock 72cc displacement and stock compression (low)  is less than $60...   A screaming deal...   A complete top end kit can be had for less than $130...

But I guess if I replace too much of the bike with chinese clone parts - it really isn't a honda anymore....   Which is why I asked about feedback on long term durability with these chinese clone complete top end kits.    Anyone else?

thanks,

jeff

Thanks.  I have no real desire to punch it out.  I also don't want higher compression.   Want to keep it as a kid's bike.    A complete cylinder "kit" on e-bay with the stock 72cc displacement and stock compression (low)  is less than $60...   A screaming deal...   A complete top end kit can be had for less than $130...

But I guess if I replace too much of the bike with chinese clone parts - it really isn't a honda anymore....   Which is why I asked about feedback on long term durability with these chinese clone complete top end kits.    Anyone else?

thanks,

jeff

Jeff - what did you decide with this..? I'm looking at the same thing, but worried about quality. The same OEM kit is $200. Cheers

Looking for feedback from anyone who has used the chinese made  xr70/crf70 cylinder kits and cylinder head assemblies that are being sold by several vendors on e-bay.

I have a rather tired 2000 xr70 that I am helping a friend sell.    Thinking about keeping it myself and fixing it up - I am in my mid-50s and just looking to have some to fiddle on in the garage and to give the old girl a second life.    The motor has *alot* of time on it and compression is *mighty* low.

For durability I would go with all honda parts on a rebuild - except for maybe kibble white valves...  But things add up really fast and make it not "pencil out"...

That has me looking at  a complete new top end is available from several vendors on ebay for around $125.    This includes - gaskets, cylinder, piston, pin, rings & complete cylinder head assembly.  

So has anyone run these parts on their xr70 or crf70?  Any issues?   Does anyone have enough time on this setup to provide any feedback on durability?

jeff

I have had very good success with the kits.  Also check out DrATV.com  He sells some of them on Ebay as well, but I just using his website.  Also very helpful once you purchase a product for tech support. Very busy guy, so he has to esnure you buy something before heling out with things like install.  General questions about the product he will shoot an email back pretty quick.

Either way, they work fine.  I have a piston and valves in one of mine and it works great.