Drz400s 2003 Engine

Hey Everyone,

Through a series of unfortunate events I blew the top end of my DRZ engine and now the bike shop wants to charge me an rediculous amount to rebuilt it. So I thought I would check to see if anyone has a DRZ400s 2003 or later for sale ?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Jody

What price did they give you ?

What needs to be done ?

So lets not turn this into a for sale or want add thread that has to be removed.  :thumbsup:

To The OP.

1: ANY year, any model DRZ 400 motor can be swapped in.. so that might open up your pool of available buying options.

2: What specifically is wrong with your motor now? 

3: If you're willing, can you post the shops estimate for repair?

Based on what i keep reading here  and ADV, SMJ.. I think I need to start charging a LOT more  :devil:

SNIPPED....

Based on what i keep reading here  and ADV, SMJ.. I think I need to start charging a LOT more  :devil:

You need to read a LOT less!

They want $3200 to rebuild it. I paid less than that for the whole bike 2 years ago. ( I guess that's why it was so cheaps :) )

It's completely my fault I replaced the top end gaskets cause they were leaking. Simple job, I have done a few times but I was in a hurry and messed up the timing and the piston blew the the valves to pieces. So it needs a new piston and valve kit. I have a spare DRZ engine from my other bike with most of the parts but they say that they are old with lots of KM's on them and if I'm doing the job I should do it right.

J

They want $3200 to rebuild it. I paid less than that for the whole bike 2 years ago. ( I guess that's why it was so cheaps :) )

It's completely my fault I replaced the top end gaskets cause they were leaking. Simple job, I have done a few times but I was in a hurry and messed up the timing and the piston blew the the valves to pieces. So it needs a new piston and valve kit. I have a spare DRZ engine from my other bike with most of the parts but they say that they are old with lots of KM's on them and if I'm doing the job I should do it right.

J

3200?? Is that in Baht???  :devil:

Ahhh, ya, how about no to that offer of repair.

At worst it'll need a Hot cranks crank, main bearings, cylinder works top end kit, used head, that you send out for freshening up and a few hours labor.

I can see that being $3200 USD if MSRP on OEM parts and a big guess on labor rates was used to write the est. 

But You or a smaller competent shop can do better than that.