Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 125sx vs ktm 150sx

Just wondering if there was much of a performance difference between these bikes and what their maintenance is like compared to a four stroke

The 150 has the performance more like a 250f. Also more torque and power so it will be better for trails.

• Like 1

150sx has like 34 or 38hp at peak which is up there with 250f's. Plus it's lighter......but if you're going to be riding trails and enduro get an XC or XCW model. The porting, exhaust and gearing is setup up better for off road. Or sack up and just get a 200xcw  :devil:

• Like 2

I ride a 450 in the woods my best friend has a 200xc the 200 is a baby compared to my bike but is amazing in hare-scrambles racing the 200 in light is cheating lol

I agree with the above poster, get the 150xc if you plan to trail ride it, already set up for it. I have an sx and it's fun in the woods, but really shines on the track.

The 150 (actually is a 144) is a blast. I had Eric Gore bore and replate the cylinder 2mm over to  a 153. Installed a fmf fatty and now the bike is a great

woods machine if you are a light rider. Very little engine vibration also. 

I love my 150XC. I had never rode one before buying it and was very surprised at the power it had. Im only 160 pounds and it works great in the trails and on the track. I've had many 250F's and when riding on the pipe, it can no doubt hang with 250F's.

I love my 150sx. I even take it out in the desert here in Cali and it's a blast to ride. The 150XC may be a better choice for desert riding only since I ride the local tracks with my 150sx as well, but imo the 150sx is very fun in the desert. It's like a mountain bike with an engine. Plus, I don't get half as tired as I do when I ride on my 4t (07 KTM 250 XCF-W) :thumbsup:.

I agree with the post above me.

The SX150 feels like a bicycle, and it's really light.

I love it a lot more than the Jap 125s, due to te bottom end it has. It's a really fun bike and when it hits powerband, it pulls away.

I'm surprised that posters keep missing what would seem to be the most important issue--the OP is asking about SX models for trail and enduro riding!  If that is what he wants to do, he needs the 150 xc, or the new Husqvarna (ktm) 125 off road model.  Having the right suspension for the conditions is going to be far more important than 25cc.  

As for the motor size, see the MXA articles where they compared both bikes.  Some riders clearly prefer the smaller motor.  

I personally own a 250 sx and two yz 125s.  When it comes to having fun, there is no comparison--the 125 gets the ride every time.  And I have no desire to add any power.  Both 125s are totally stock in the motor department.  Sure they're slow compared to the 250 in a drag race, but the power of the 250 is offset by the light weight and handling once you get in the woods!

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

I would buy the 150xc or other 2 stroke off road bike but its impossible to find them second hand and I dont want to buy brand new

Buy the 150, no replacement for displacement. The 150 does NOT have too much power for what you want, anywhere. It also does not lack power, but you have to twist the throttle. It is a small bore two stroke and the power comes from mid-high, the SX and the XC are the same in that regard. it is more broad than any 125.

Now... the XC has a 18" rear tire, bigger tank and kickstand. I think the forks have the XC valving, but I could be wrong. The XC valving is much softer in the forks, shocks are the same. I wouldn't go out and start hitting big jumps on the XC.

I am 150lbs, novice/intermediate racer on both tracks and trails. The little 150SX does everything with no issue. I set the sag and suspension clickers to the stock/standard setting in the manual. I then soften the shock to the comfort setting and left it there. For the forks, I either use the aggressive setting for tracks, standard for trails, or comfort for single track/rocky stuff. Its all within three turns of the fork clickers. I can jump 40 foot tables and then be climbing single track with no issue and no tools.

My only gripe for me is that sometimes I wish for more power, or easier power. I came off a 450, but I have way more fun on the 150, can ride longer, and the maintenance is WAY lower in both time and cost.

Buy the 150, no replacement for displacement. The 150 does NOT have too much power for what you want, anywhere. It also does not lack power, but you have to twist the throttle. It is a small bore two stroke and the power comes from mid-high, the SX and the XC are the same in that regard. it is more broad than any 125.

Now... the XC has a 18" rear tire, bigger tank and kickstand. I think the forks have the XC valving, but I could be wrong. The XC valving is much softer in the forks, shocks are the same. I wouldn't go out and start hitting big jumps on the XC.

I am 150lbs, novice/intermediate racer on both tracks and trails. The little 150SX does everything with no issue. I set the sag and suspension clickers to the stock/standard setting in the manual. I then soften the shock to the comfort setting and left it there. For the forks, I either use the aggressive setting for tracks, standard for trails, or comfort for single track/rocky stuff. Its all within three turns of the fork clickers. I can jump 40 foot tables and then be climbing single track with no issue and no tools.

My only gripe for me is that sometimes I wish for more power, or easier power. I came off a 450, but I have way more fun on the 150, can ride longer, and the maintenance is WAY lower in both time and cost.

Well said, and feel the same about my 13. I'm 160 and have used the KTM settings with great results.

I tightened up my squish a little, added a PC pipe and shorty, threw a 50t on the rear and it really helped the bottom end without sacrificing any on top. They are easily tuned and a dream to wrench on imo.

Love that bike....

I totally agree with the two previous posters.

I've owned a 450 Husaberg, several 250 2&4 strokes and also own a KTM300 but LOVE my 125KTM.

Mine is a 2000 but has good power if you do your part. It is heavier than my 300 (because of street legal gear and larger tanks) but feels lighter when you ride it. It feels a LOT lighter than any 4 stroke. The 125 (and the 150) are not hillclimb or dragrace masters, the 300 and 450s are much better at that, but nimble woods work is their forte.

Steve