Couple quick questions about new mrds.

Hi i recently just did a ton of work and have my bike back running. I have a couple questions about new mrds. Mine seems to be smoking a little out of he exhaust end is this normal for a new ssw(zpro)? Also when running for maybe 10 minutes my header seems to get really hot im guessing thats normal though for being so thin. Thanks for any and all replies ill post pics of bike as soon as i make sure shes fine

Is this normal for like maybe 30 minutes of use?

looks like it has some oil on it when you first fired it up.  Should have wiped it down with acetone or something first.  It will get hot, particularly at a still idle.

Word thanks. I was also wondering if this is normal after a short maybe 5 mile ride? Chain to tight?

Some reason he pic didnt come in but is this normal or is it to loose or tight?

The smoke your seeing out of the muffler is just because the packing is new, it'll stop. Yes it's normal for the header to change colors like that. And nobody will be able to tell you if your chain tension is correct from a picture, to check the tension correctly you'd need to disconnect the rear linkage and align the sprockets and swingarm so the chain is at it's tightest point

The manual calls for 4-5cm (~1.5"-2") of free play in the chain.  Measure it like the picture below.

The manual calls for 4-5cm (~1.5"-2") of free play in the chain. Measure it like the picture below.

+1 measure on kickstand.

Word thanks. I was also wondering if this is normal after a short maybe 5 mile ride? Chain to tight? attachicon.gif1406306812239.jpg

is your swing arm red right there? Like from heat??

Chain adjustment should also be accompanied by alignment check. Both wheel and sprocket alignment. Sprocket alignment can be off if wheel spacers are installed incorrectly or missing. Your chain slider is showing an unusual wear. When adjusting your chain have kickstand down, engine in first gear. Back the bike up a bit to make top side chain tight. Measure your freeplay on the bottom side of swing arm about midway. 1.5-2.0" from chain to swing arm. Check to see if adjusters are on the same numbers. If they are and the alignment is off you may have bent parts or spacer problems.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Tyler Hansen
      Not entirely sure what's happening here. My exhaust seems to be leaving permanent gold residue on rear fender. Is this normal burning or is my exhaust trying to tell me something more? New to this bike and trying to navigate myself around it. Any advice would be appreciated.

• By knotduke08
      I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but I have not found any options available for the new 2018 bikes. I live and work for a new Beta Dealer (Auburn Extreme Powersports) in California, and we are having a difficult time mapping the RR-S bikes for full FMF exhausts. We have tried contacting Beta Support several times for this issue to no avail, and we typically are given the runaround when transferring to techs and secretaries. From what we can gather, the FMF flash is designed for the RR bikes, but not the street-legal counterparts. Every time we try to install the FMF map onto an RR-S errors occur, and the programmer screen goes virtually blank. We have heard through the grapevine that some are using the RR maps on the RR-S with success, but we have yet to try it, even on our own bikes for fear that it will permanently erase or damage the CDI. Any and all help or suggestions regarding this topic would surely be appreciated! Thanks, Ben.
    • By yz480doinwork
      Brand new, still in the packaging Lexx end cap fits the stock muffler of 2006 & 2007 YZ450f and 06-13 YZ250f. Comes with a forest service approved spark arrestor and two different size tips. Don't spend hundreds of dollars on a slip on, this tip can be quiet and forest legal or loud and make power! Also a note for WR450 guys: get this tip and find a used 06/07 YZ muffler, fits directly on 09-15 WR450. $80 shipped free to the lower 48. PM, call or text 406-223-8789
    • By Yak Man
      Selling Big Gun Race Exhaust muffler (muffler only, no head pipe). Came off 2003 CRF 230. Good condition, has USFS spark arrestor installed
      pm me or email
    • By pickels25
      Hey all, ive been upgrading my 1995 XR250R and have come across many people using this FMF Muffler:
      Has anybody here fit one of these on a 1995 or other pre 96 XR? If not what kind of good aftermarket muffler works with the 1995?

Thanks and cheers