Sign in to follow this  

Couple quick questions about new mrds.

Hi i recently just did a ton of work and have my bike back running. I have a couple questions about new mrds. Mine seems to be smoking a little out of he exhaust end is this normal for a new ssw(zpro)? Also when running for maybe 10 minutes my header seems to get really hot im guessing thats normal though for being so thin. Thanks for any and all replies ill post pics of bike as soon as i make sure shes fine

looks like it has some oil on it when you first fired it up.  Should have wiped it down with acetone or something first.  It will get hot, particularly at a still idle.

Word thanks. I was also wondering if this is normal after a short maybe 5 mile ride? Chain to tight?

1406306963750.jpg

The smoke your seeing out of the muffler is just because the packing is new, it'll stop. Yes it's normal for the header to change colors like that. And nobody will be able to tell you if your chain tension is correct from a picture, to check the tension correctly you'd need to disconnect the rear linkage and align the sprockets and swingarm so the chain is at it's tightest point

The manual calls for 4-5cm (~1.5"-2") of free play in the chain.  Measure it like the picture below.

Drawing2.png

Chain adjustment should also be accompanied by alignment check. Both wheel and sprocket alignment. Sprocket alignment can be off if wheel spacers are installed incorrectly or missing. Your chain slider is showing an unusual wear. When adjusting your chain have kickstand down, engine in first gear. Back the bike up a bit to make top side chain tight. Measure your freeplay on the bottom side of swing arm about midway. 1.5-2.0" from chain to swing arm. Check to see if adjusters are on the same numbers. If they are and the alignment is off you may have bent parts or spacer problems.