Sign in to follow this  

Buell headlight mod wiring question

To anyone who has done this. Is there a tutorial on how to wire up the buell lights? I think I have to get a relay so it can switch from high to low but is that it? Is there a specific relay I need? I'm not doing the HID conversion so I'm assuming I don't need to worry about that.

You are going to have to inform be about Buell headlights.  1 or 2 lights?  Is 1 HI and the other LO, or do each have HI and LO beams?  Wattage?

I see no requirement for a relay but a relay is often help full to power higher wattage lights to reduce voltage drops in the original wires.

You are going to have to inform be about Buell headlights. 1 or 2 lights? Is 1 HI and the other LO, or do each have HI and LO beams? Wattage?

I see no requirement for a relay but a relay is often help full to power higher wattage lights to reduce voltage drops in the original wires.

I believe one is high and the other is low.

OK that is simple enough.  Suzuki yellow wire is HI beam, that goes to the HI beam light power wire.  Suzuki white wire is LO beam, that goes to the LO beam light power wire.  Suzuki black with white trace wire is ground, the ground wires from both headlights go the that wire.  Relays can be added but that is more complex.  What is the wattage of each beam?  55w?  One beam on at a time will not over tax the existing wires.

OK that is simple enough. Suzuki yellow wire is HI beam, that goes to the HI beam light power wire. Suzuki white wire is LO beam, that goes to the LO beam light power wire. Suzuki black with white trace wire is ground, the ground wires from both headlights go the that wire. Relays can be added but that is more complex. What is the wattage of each beam? 55w? One beam on at a time will not over tax the existing wires.

Thanks. I will give it a shot. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Are you asking about something like this?

How did you mount those headlights? Did you make those brackets?

I used the light kit brackets mounted to a carrier made from scrap aluminum, drilled to use the existing mounting holes and bent at the ends for the turn signals. The light kit was $20 at Walmart. Total cost of the mod was $25.

1406412762437.jpg