Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Did I get cheated? My "brand new" CRF250L came with 60 miles on it?

I just bought my new CRF250L yesterday. I'm really enjoying it - it's my first new bike.

Here's the thing: I negotiated the price of the bike and agreed to buy. I went through the financials, signed the paperwork and went to do a run down of the maintenance schedule and such with the mechanic. When he turned the bike on, I noted that there was 60 miles on it. I asked if that was from people test riding and the mechanic said yes. Again, this was my first bike, so I didn't know how typical that is.

It was getting late and it didn't seem like a big deal at the time. I signed moer paperwork, including one with registration info that has the mileage on it (well, I presume it did -- I was signing so fast that I don't recall actually seeing the "60 miles," but it's probably there). Finally, I paid for the bike.

Then the 60 miles started to nag me, so I posted on Reddit and everyone is like, "Dude, you didn't buy a new bike, you bought a used demo bike." I paid $4399 for the 2014 (MSRP is $4999), plus a shitload of taxes and 399.00 setup and delivery, which they wouldn't budge on during negotiation. I'm feeling like the setup should have been waived, as it wasn't setup solely for me.

Further, there's concern that those first 60 miles are the most important miles, and that test riders are typically rough on it.

What would you do? I plan to talk with them, but if they disclosed it to me in writing prior to me submitting payment (even if they never properly mentioned it when we were negotiating), I'm not sure what recourse I have.

Oh, also, hi, how's it going - I'm new here :)

Edited by MichaelH77
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum ....  :cheers:

Sounds like you got a good deal and I personally would not be concerned about the 60 miles....  :thumbsup:  These things are pretty much pre broke and bullet proof straight out of the crate ...  :ride:

Once you go for a ride .... all your fears will be replaced with happiness .... this thing can really put a smile on your face. 

• Like 5

Here's my 2 cents. They negotiated on the price, seems like you got a good deal to me. The crfs are super hard to find. I work at a honda bike shop and We've had a ton of interest and deposits but only two bikes roll through all summer.

I would still consider your bike new. 60 is nothing for mileage. And you should have your 1 year warranty from the date of purchase. The first break in service isn't even done until 600miles. If your concerned, ask them if they would cover the costs of the first service.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

• Like 3

I would still consider your bike new. 60 is nothing for mileage. And you should have your 1 year warranty from the date of purchase. The first break in service isn't even done until 600miles.

Seems fair to me. You got it at a great price.

Thanks -- I should have went here first before asking Reddit. They got me a bit worked up. I may still ask them to cover first service -- it's worth a shot :o

• Like 4

if you are realy concerned,,, realy,,, realy!

check with a lawer to see if there is any fault or misrepresentation on the sellers behalf.

personaly,,, I wouldnt worry about it

but as an advocate :devil:

when you buy a car it will have a few miles on it, but not many, as people do test drive them.

there maybe a certain amout of milage aquired that takes a vehicle out of "New car" status.

• Like 2

Thanks -- I should have went here first before asking Reddit. They got me a bit worked up. I may still ask them to cover first service -- it's worth a shot :o

or at the very least maybe a free oil change ...  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

60 miles is nothing i had twice that getting mine home--Most people don't trash a bike on a demo ride-as they are not sure they will buy it--you got a Killer deal i think price wise--your first ride i bet will be more than 60 too!! Besides it's a HONDA!! Welcome to this site BTW

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 2

You can look at it 1 of 2 ways.  

1.  The total price for the bike was just under MSRP which means you didn't really pay the setup fee.

2.  You got a great discount off MSRP and they screwed you on the setup fee.

I have never purchased a new bike but I hear that at least on these models dealers are getting full MSRP plus all their extra fees.  

Just checked yesterday and the local dealer wanted $5500 for a new one.  

• Like 1

Welcome, and 60 miles...fah-get about it!! You have a new bike that you will enjoy putting a whole lot more miles on. Now let's talk about mods! Haha, she will need a few! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :ride: :ride:

• Like 1

I paid $5050 out the door for mine!!Oh and it had 5 miles on it too :facepalm: No sales tax in Oregon :thumbsup:Also if you have not noticed we recommend changing the first oil at or b/f 500 miles!!

Edited by USMCVietVet

I paid $4999 for mine. The sticker price was around $5600 but I told them if they dropped it to MSRP I'd buy it right then and there. Even at MSRP they're making a fair amount on it and I was comfortable with that price. Didn't have any setup fees either.

Edited by mott555
  • Like 1

You paid below MSRP, so in my mind you bought a used bike from a dealer. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. Being a demo bike, it likely didn't see dirt or rocks, etc. Probably a few around the block test rides and that's it. I think you did good. Basically you paid a used bike price for a new bike. I probably should of started with that haha.

Welcome to the site!

• Like 1

When Henry the 8th was asked what he would do when he first became king his reply was "Kill all the lawyers"" or so Shakephere (SP sorry Jason)says!!and i agree!! :p :p :p

• Like 1

The three brother-in-laws I have/had (two are now divorced) are lawyers. Practicing lawyers are advocates, the ones in legislative bodies cause the most havoc with society and should be feared the most.

If only I were king .......

Edited by UtahPaul
  • Like 1

The three brother-in-laws I have/had (two are now divorced) are lawyers. Practicing lawyers are advocates, the ones in legislative bodies cause the most havoc with society and should be feared the most.

If only I were king .......

Posted at 4:20 ..... paranoia ....  :thinking:

• Like 2

If you like the bike just write it off. You got a good deal on a nice bike. No sense in letting it get to you.just ride the snot out of it!

• Like 4

you can go to any car dealer and ask for a test drive .... should this be not allowed ....  :excuseme:

When I bought my bike it had about 7 miles on it from "my test ride" .... I did not have to buy it even tho I did. But, if I would not have ... the next guy that test rode it would have started at 7 miles and what if he did not buy it .... should it now be sold as used or a demo ? 

speaking of car dealers .... just go look at new cars and see how many have miles on them ... I do not remember exactly but, I bought a brand new 2007 Ford Focus ... I think it may have had over 80 miles on it and it did not bother me one bit.

• Like 3

You can look at it 1 of 2 ways.

1. The total price for the bike was just under MSRP which means you didn't really pay the setup fee.

2. You got a great discount off MSRP and they screwed you on the setup fee.

I have never purchased a new bike but I hear that at least on these models dealers are getting full MSRP plus all their extra fees.

Just checked yesterday and the local dealer wanted $5500 for a new one.

well I think the sateup fee was tt&l so you can't really get screwed on that