Tranny oil coming out substantially lighter

Okay, so a bit of back ground. Last time I rode I noticed my coolant was a little low. Nothing serious but it wasn't above the fins. Filled it, rode all day, no issues. Went to change my oil today and the tranny oil was just quite a bit lighter, not white but maybe a darker grey. Wasn't thinking on my feet and didnt get pictures. Checked everything for metal shavings, and all was sound. Oil filter was clean. Could this potentially be an issue or am I just being paranoid?

Upon further examination..... ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406308007.121305.jpg

I think you're fine I just changed my oils yesterday same deal.

I know these CRF engines inside and out and I dont know what that is.

As in you don't know what fluid is or what piece this is? It's an oil cap.

Maybe it's just me being paranoid.

As in you don't know what fluid is or what piece this is? It's an oil cap.

Maybe it's just me being paranoid.

What are you trying to describe with the pic? What's the bright spot on the bottom of the cap?

Put it this way, if the water pump weep hole got plugged somehow, and the WP shaft seal were to leak and force coolant into the trans side, the oil would come out frothy and milky. If you were using the red Hondaline oil, it'd look like a strawberry milkshake. Regular oil will look like chocolate or vanilla shake.

Trail riding has a tendancy to push coolant out of the radiator over flow when the bike gets good and hot. Put a loop in the over flow hose and you might catch some of the coolant in the loop, which could tell you were its going (which isnt an emergency either). Normally theres about 10-15mm of air space in the rads because the expansion of the coolant (if topped off entirely) will push that little bit out. Unless theres a leak, a bad cap..etc, once that initial 10-15mm is pushed off the top, you wont lose any more.

What are you trying to describe with the pic? What's the bright spot on the bottom of the cap?

Put it this way, if the water pump weep hole got plugged somehow, and the WP shaft seal were to leak and force coolant into the trans side, the oil would come out frothy and milky. If you were using the red Hondaline oil, it'd look like a strawberry milkshake. Regular oil will look like chocolate or vanilla shake.

Trail riding has a tendancy to push coolant out of the radiator over flow when the bike gets good and hot. Put a loop in the over flow hose and you might catch some of the coolant in the loop, which could tell you were its going (which isnt an emergency either). Normally theres about 10-15mm of air space in the rads because the expansion of the coolant (if topped off entirely) will push that little bit out. Unless theres a leak, a bad cap..etc, once that initial 10-15mm is pushed off the top, you wont lose any more.

The white dot on the bottom is just paint basically. But look in the center hole of then cap, see the colored liquid. It was a little darker than that when it came out.

But that's why I'm a little worried, I know coolant does tend to leave and it's below the fins now so

Its fine. The trans oil will take color with heat. Slipping the clutch on the 09 during a trail ride will produce a bunch of heat in the trans, and the clutch is what oils the entire transmission like a paddle wheel. The 09 clutch is weak, no other way to put it. The 4 spring idea was stupid. The only time it seems to work is when youve got factory race springs and plates that get changed out every damn moto. The best, least expensive fix, is the framebreaker 6 spring hub and pressure plate setup.

are you runnning a higher cap pressure?

While it's conceivable the water pump is pushing coolant into, you'd basically need the water pump seal to fail, the weep hole to fail, and the oil seal on the transmission to fail. Not very likely.