Looking to get my first dirt bike

This is probably the millionth thread like this y'all have seen, so I'm going to preface the rest of this by apologizing and pleading for your help.

So, here's the deal: I've been riding quads my whole life, and most recently I've been riding/racing a 2007 Suzuki Z-400 since...well...2007. However, I've always wanted a dirt bike, and now I'm at a point in my life where getting a dirt bike is feasible and more practical for me. I'm not a novice rider, and whichever bike I get I know I'll be riding hard (hah) so I need something to last. I haven't ridden any dirt bikes in recent years so that I'd feel comfortable making an informed decision on my own, which is why I'm reaching out to you for help. 

I'm 5'11", 170 lbs, and in good shape. My main riding areas will be in Midwestern/Southern Indiana in the woods and fields.

Riding Style: Aggressive. I'm not going to drop thousands of dollars on an off road vehicle to treat it like a princess. I get my money's worth. That Z-400 has been to hell and back about 4 times but is still holding on.

Budget: Let's not worry about this. I want to hear everyone's opinions with the financial aspect completely removed. I am however looking at purchasing a new, not used, dirt bike, so I'm expecting it to be expensive.

With my limited experience and my large amount of uninformed research, it seems to come down to either a 250 or 450. I'd like to hear your opinions on those, as well as any other you might suggest.

Thank you for reading my post, and thank you in advanced for any information/advice you can offer me.

If I were you I would be looking at a Yamaha YZ250f, if anybody says you pushing yours weight on it don't listen to them. Also, I don't think I would go for a 450f because thats a lot of unneeded power for someone of your skill level and even for someone far above your skill level. If your looking for a more toned down bike that is more suitable trails I'd shoot for either the DRZ or WR. Heard a lot of good things about the DRZ, but I know all Yamahas have great reliability. Good luck in the hunt for a bike.  :thumbsup:

Thank you for the input!

Looking at the Yamaha website, and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between the YZ250f and the YZ250? Is it just that the 250f is a 4 stroke and the 250 is a 2 stroke?

And the also, what is the main difference between the YZ250F and the WR250F?

Also, to anyone else reading this, I just realized that there's a forum specifically for this type of question, and I reposted there. I apologize for clogging up your feed.

Thank you for the input!

Looking at the Yamaha website, and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between the YZ250f and the YZ250? Is it just that the 250f is a 4 stroke and the 250 is a 2 stroke?

And the also, what is the main difference between the YZ250F and the WR250F?

The YZ 250 is a two stroke motocross bike, has a lot more power and snap than the 250F.  The WR 250F is the offroad version of the YZ 250F, it's much more tame.

If you are a decent rider and wanna ride aggressively, go with the YZ 250 for sure.  If your focus is on offroad instead of motocross, consider a KTM 250 XC or a 300 XC.  The 250 is better for racing in the woods, but the 300 is better for super nasty technical rocky riding.  I ride a 300 because I race enduro, but I also love rock crawling the Last Man Standing kinda trails.  Actually I ride the Last Man Standing trails all the time, at Red River in Texas where the event was held.  

Let us know what you buy, and how the bike works out for you. 

I'm going to say it would be better if you had some friends that already owned dirt bikes that might let you ride them a little bit. That way, you get the experience and feel of several different models before you make an expensive decision. Good luck with your decision.

Post 2011 rm-z250

I'm going to say it would be better if you had some friends that already owned dirt bikes that might let you ride them a little bit. That way, you get the experience and feel of several different models before you make an expensive decision. Good luck with your decision.

Yeah , riding a few different bikes Is a good idea before you buy new , if you can .