Sign in to follow this  

Q4 and smoke on startup

Hey guys, since putting on the Q4 I get some blue'ish smoke when starting it up for just a couple seconds. It's fine after that. I've done no other engine mods at this point. For sure it's oil. Any one have similar experience? Appreciate your time and input.

Thanks guys. I've been running this exhaust for a few months. Still considered normal? Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Edited by Knad1an

Have you changed the oil since you got it?? Honda puts crap oil in from the factory??

Edited by USMCVietVet

Yes I've changed it once at 1k. I'm at 5k currently. The service manual doesn't call for a other until 12k but I won't wait that long. How often do you recommend? I use amsoil synthetic.

Edited by Knad1an

Yes I've changed it once at 1k. I'm at 5k currently. The service manual doesn't call for a other until 12k but I won't wait that long. How often do you recommend? I use amsoil synthetic.

I would change it again. It's a small amount in the reservoir and it's used for engine and clutch. You're probably just fine and it's not hurting anything, but me personally, I'd be cringing if I had that many miles on one oil change. I changed mine at 383 miles and I'm at 1,300 miles now and I'll probably change it again before next weekend (I have a big riding weekend planned).

• Like 1

little engines like these realy beat the oil down qwickly

espesially if you "flog" them as some would say. better to change it sooner than later.

and when their new and breaking in you want to drain that break in oil asap to get the micro metal out of the engine case

as far as the Q4 smoking,,, I dont think so.

Edited by Ducky Dog

Thanks boys. I just finished changing oil and filter. I used amsoil synthetic 10w 40.

• Like 2

you never answered my question,,,,,

Did you use synthetic to do a break in???

I might be confused, but I don't think he has a BB, just the FMF exhaust. That's how I read it anyways.

Sorry, I missed that. For the break in I used the oil honda put in. It is synthetic.

And yes, just the FMF exhaust.

Edited by Knad1an

Well it's actually a synthetic/petroleum blend. Anyways, it's what was in it for the first 1k. I've switched to amsoil from then on.

I noticed my oil was thin at 150 miles

I canned it and put regular oil in

I only have about 500 miles on mine now, feels like it broke in at about 400

I will do another oil change soon

no smoke,,, nada

• Like 1

I'm running 10/40 Mobil one T-4 from wal mart--no smoke--i change it b/f i put it away for the winter--not mileage wise with the snythetic :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm running 10/40 Mobil one T-4 from wal mart--no smoke--i change it b/f i put it away for the winter--not mileage wise with the snythetic :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I should probably put mine away for winter too. Some days the highs during winter are only 55 degrees, and that's just unbearable :D

• Like 1

I should probably put mine away for winter too. Some days the highs during winter are only 55 degrees, and that's just unbearable :D

i go to Arizona for the winter and somedays i cannot wear my shorts :facepalm: --"It's a hard life but someone has to do it"-- :thumbsup: CRF stays in Oregon-punishment for falling down :rant:

Edited by USMCVietVet