Sign in to follow this  

First 2 smoker?

Ive rode quads all my life all different kinds and currently have a YZF and a TTR for trails and tracks. Now I was thinking of buying a 2 smoker. I was either thinking of a YZ125 or a YZ250 but I'm not totally sure as which to get, for i hear the 125 is extremely fun and light so you can ride it and have fun for years and you don't feel like youre driving a tank. But the 250 i know has A LOT more power. So I don't know which to buy. If someone could help me out with the pros and cons of either id be grateful! Plus this will be my first two stroke :)

YZ125 pros...fun to ride hard....light....cheap to own....oversize mods are popular

YZ125 cons...have to ride hard to have fun....no torque....best for lighter people.

YZ250 pros....easy to ride anywhere...powerful....very popular, mods galore.

YZ250 cons...powerful for beginners.....uuh, guess that's about it lol

Edited by OldMechanik
  • Like 1

YZ125 pros...fun to ride hard....light....cheap to own....oversize mods are popular

YZ125 cons...have to ride hard to have fun....no torque....best for lighter people.

YZ250 pros....easy to ride anywhere...powerful....very popular, mods galore.

YZ250 cons...powerful for beginners.....uuh, guess that's about it lol

you say the 125 has no torque. Does that mean it wouldn't handle hill climbs very well?

It will climb just fine but you have to have it revved up ans stay on the pipe. You can't really climb a hill slow because if the engine starts to bog it doesn't have the torque to accelerate again. You have to keep it revved and control wheel spin with the clutch.

I've never had one but got a chance to ride one. I'm 6' 200lbs and it moved me just fine. I'm not a very aggressive rider though so for me it's not the best choice.

If your comfortable on the 250f power wise I'd probably go for the yz250. It will have more power through the whole rpm range than the 250f.

Edited by Racerjoey1
  • Like 1

I mean that, in comparison to a 250F or 250/2T, it is weak on the bottom.....In the same line I will say that I've had a couple 125s and I could go most anywhere on them trail wise. I could out run some guys on 250F easilly on the track....

...however the power of a 125 will not "tractor" like the others on soft soil, long hillclimbs, big jumps right out of turns....etc.

If you can maintain momentum, carry speed and run it WFO, a 125 will go most anywhere you can.

• Like 1

I mean that, in comparison to a 250F or 250/2T, it is weak on the bottom.....In the same line I will say that I've had a couple 125s and I could go most anywhere on them trail wise. I could out run some guys on 250F easilly on the track....

...however the power of a 125 will not "tractor" like the others on soft soil, long hillclimbs, big jumps right out of turns....etc.

If you can maintain momentum, carry speed and run it WFO, a 125 will go most anywhere you can.

hmm. Well i better start looking at 250's because the hills i climb on me and my friends farm are 1/4 mile long some a bit shorter/longer, but they're all nearly straight up, when it rains and is muddy my 230 and 250 can't make it up because they have way too much tire spin. I have to walk them up. While gunning it.

It will climb just fine but you have to have it revved up ans stay on the pipe. You can't really climb a hill slow because if the engine starts to bog it doesn't have the torque to accelerate again. You have to keep it revved and control wheel spin with the clutch.

I've never had one but got a chance to ride one. I'm 6' 200lbs and it moved me just fine. I'm not a very aggressive rider though so for me it's not the best choice.

If your comfortable on the 250f power wise I'd probably go for the yz250. It will have more power through the whole rpm range than the 250f.

would the torque of a 125 2t be comparable to a 230 4t?

also a 125t to do trails and hill climbs what gears would the powerband be? And hill climbs and my trails... Idk theyre very tight turns then straight up hills so you have no time to build speed. That's a problem for a 125 2t but would a 250 2t do fine?

would the torque of a 125 2t be comparable to a 230 4t?

NO, the 230 4 stroke would have gobs more low end/torque.

UYeah the 230 would have more down low.

The power band just refers to how an engine puts out power. Every engine has one whether it's a 2t, 4t, v8, etc. so one gear doesn't have more than another. However you'd probably attack a hill in 2nd or 3rd I guess I don't know.

If there isn't much run up to a big hill though the 250 would shine there.

I'd get a 250 if you think you're ready for the power. They are a little too much for me, buts it's been a while since I rode one.

Have you looked at a KDX? They are a 2 stroke 200, more of a trail bike than a racer but they have good low end power and stock are pretty mild. You might be disappointed in the suspension and power coming from a 250f but then again if you get a 125 you might feel the same way about the power.

I prefer 2 strokes but I think if you're talking about just performance the 125 is kind of a step down. But as far as maintenence, rebuild costs, and fun it's a toss up. If you get a 250 2t it's an improvement across the board and you can tone them down a little bit for the woods if needed.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm not quite ready to buy but I'm stuck between a 125, 250, or a KDX.

I forgot to say I am Racerjoey1 from the previous posts. I had that name when I was a kid. Since I'm old now and don't race it was time for a change, lol.

Edited by JFortner5
  • Like 1

I keep forgetting to type things until after I post, but if you're experiencing a lot of wheel spin on that yzf it's going to be worse on a 2 stroke. The 4 strokes are known to put power to the ground smoother than a 2 stroke.

The best way I can describe a 125 is you're at the bottom of a hill. You take off say in 2nd gear and it will rev up pretty normal and then around 7k rpm all hell breaks loose. It goes from 15hp to 30hp over a very short rpm range (in the powerband). When that happens you'll either start going much faster or the wheel will spin. You back off the throttle but then the engine is out of the power band and then it bogs down half way up the hill. Instead of letting it bog you have to slip the clutch and keep the revs up high in the "powerband." It sounds complicated but it's fun and just a balancing act. Some people describe the power like a light switch, on and off.

A 250 will have more low end power and the engine can lug down lower. If the engine starts bogging half way up the hill it has the nuts to pull through it. You still have to use the clutch in some cases but not like the 125.

I'm sorry if you know all this already, I hope it doesn't come across as me talking to you like a noob I'm just trying to share my personal experience.

Edited by JFortner5
  • Like 1

No the 125 has plent of torque and I can go up hills in 3rd gear on my rm125 after u learn how to ride a 2'stroke it should have plenty of torque I can do like power weeklies in like 3rd and 4th gear that's I the power band

My yz125 got torque I've got full fmf exhaust and it's awesome it teachs you to ride using the gears we'll.

Lol i actually might've hurt my 230's engine by getting it TOO MUDDY! The sprocket cover got caked in mud so we had to take it along with the shifter off to get the mud out. All I did was get stuck 5 times in knee deep mud! XD