1983 honda xr350r piston

I have a 1983 honda xr350r. It needs a new piston and the stock piston is 84mm but all the pistons I find for it is 85mm. Does it make a difference if I got the 85mm instead of the 84mm

You would need to bore the cylinder to fit/match the new oversized 85mm piston.  

I know that but I was wondering if I would have to adjust the valves different from stock or not

I know that but I was wondering if I would have to adjust the valves different from stock or not

I have never heard of a different valve adjustment for a replacement piston.  That sounds like someone installed a piston backwards.  

Stick with stock compression or have the top of piston shaved to stock compression so bike doesn't overheat.  

Does the stock 350 piston have valve indentations in the top?  These would need to be similar on the new piston.

Yeah the piston does and I just got the bike yesterday and all it needs is a piston. So if I got a 85mm piston all I would have to do is bore the cylinder over alittle bit for it to work?

You also need new rings.  The hard part is finding a decent machinist who will do a minimum clearance on the bore and hone to match the new piston.  Most machinists tend to overbore and that causes extra oil consumption.