Sign in to follow this  

Myth Busters (V.Mike38)

Myth Busters (V.Mike38)

My own version of Myth Busters!

To set the tone. I just changed the engine oil and front tire on my DR650SE and the following popped into my cranium while putting the wheel back on. The bike is now on it’s 7th front tire and 5th rear (I’m hard on the front brake I guess) and has rolled over 35,000 miles.

Myth #1. WD-40 is not a chain lube.

The above bike has had nothing but WD-40 used on the chain. Remember, 35K miles, 7 years old. Original chain. Around mid way on the adjuster. Looks to me like WD-40 is a perfectly good chain lube.

Myth #2. WD-40 eats o-rings.

See above.

Myth #3. Automotive oil is not an adequate motorcycle oil.

I have used Valvolene Conventional 10w40 car oil exclusively since the bike was new. Runs great, doesn’t burn a drop. Have only adjusted the valves once. Original clutch plates that had never been adjusted.

Myth #4. Sea Foam is snake oil.

Two to three times a year I dump 2 ounces of Sea Foam into a full tank on this bike. Usually try to do it just before I plan a 100+ mile day. I have never, I repeat, NEVER removed the carb on this bike to clean it. 35K miles and 7 years and have never cleaned the carb.

Myth #5. You have to install a new inner tube with a new tire.

This bike has the original inner tubes on it.

Comments are welcome!

Wd drips and flings everywhere and attracts dirt on a dirt bike though. I pretty much dont use it on anything. The motorcycle oil difference may show its face on a dirt bike. The clutch gets considerably more abuse on a track.  Same goes with inner tubes. Very different environment. ..but i only change mine if they look compromised anyway.

• Like 1

Myth #6. Making your bike louder makes your bike go faster.

NO. You just seem like a damn goon.

• Like 3

As far as sea foam goes ive used it since i was a kid mowing yards. If its snake oil, ive been incredibly lucky, as i havent seen too many deposits when i clean the carb once or twice a year. And thats in illinois with 10% ethanol.

Myth Busters (V.Mike38)My own version of Myth Busters!To set the tone. I just changed the engine oil and front tire on my DR650SE and the following popped into my cranium while putting the wheel back on. The bike is now on it’s 7th front tire and 5th rear (I’m hard on the front brake I guess) and has rolled over 35,000 miles.Myth #1. WD-40 is not a chain lube.The above bike has had nothing but WD-40 used on the chain. Remember, 35K miles, 7 years old. Original chain. Around mid way on the adjuster. Looks to me like WD-40 is a perfectly good chain lube.Myth #2. WD-40 eats o-rings. See above.Myth #3. Automotive oil is not an adequate motorcycle oil.I have used Valvolene Conventional 10w40 car oil exclusively since the bike was new. Runs great, doesn’t burn a drop. Have only adjusted the valves once. Original clutch plates that had never been adjusted.Myth #4. Sea Foam is snake oil.Two to three times a year I dump 2 ounces of Sea Foam into a full tank on this bike. Usually try to do it just before I plan a 100+ mile day. I have never, I repeat, NEVER removed the carb on this bike to clean it. 35K miles and 7 years and have never cleaned the carb.Myth #5. You have to install a new inner tube with a new tire.This bike has the original inner tubes on it. Comments are welcome!

I never used sea foam, or any other type of carb cleaner on my 2006 wr450. Sold it when I was 8 years old, 1,000 hrs 100% off road and never cleaned or removed the carb.

I only change tubes when I put a hole in that is not patchable.

Ive used sea foam on a couple trucks with over 315,000 miles on them. Dont know if it does anything to help but the trucks both passed smog no problem. As for the WD-40...i use it to wipe down my plastics, looks nice and new after a wipe down.

Myth Busters (V.Mike38) My own version of Myth Busters! To set the tone. I just changed the engine oil and front tire on my DR650SE and the following popped into my cranium while putting the wheel back on. The bike is now on it’s 7th front tire and 5th rear (I’m hard on the front brake I guess) and has rolled over 35,000 miles. Myth #1. WD-40 is not a chain lube. The above bike has had nothing but WD-40 used on the chain. Remember, 35K miles, 7 years old. Original chain. Around mid way on the adjuster. Looks to me like WD-40 is a perfectly good chain lube. Myth #2. WD-40 eats o-rings. See above. Myth #3. Automotive oil is not an adequate motorcycle oil. I have used Valvolene Conventional 10w40 car oil exclusively since the bike was new. Runs great, doesn’t burn a drop. Have only adjusted the valves once. Original clutch plates that had never been adjusted. Myth #4. Sea Foam is snake oil. Two to three times a year I dump 2 ounces of Sea Foam into a full tank on this bike. Usually try to do it just before I plan a 100+ mile day. I have never, I repeat, NEVER removed the carb on this bike to clean it. 35K miles and 7 years and have never cleaned the carb. Myth #5. You have to install a new inner tube with a new tire. This bike has the original inner tubes on it. Comments are welcome!

What tires you running on that pig? No insult, I have a first gen. KLR650. Gotta be street tires and street riding. I get 3k+- on MT21's or D606's. Only 15k+- on a chain. I also use WD40, or just kerosene on the chain. Rotella for oil, approved for bikes, and as cheap as car oil. I use Stabil in the winter when I might ride once a week or once a month.

Mike

Sea foam is gods gift to the internal combustion engine lmao. Seriously though I enjoy pouring it down the intake on high mileage cars at work, let the smoke show begin. Def not a snake oil product.

Myth #6. Making your bike louder makes your bike go faster.

NO. You just seem like a damn goon.

Please explain, what you are your saying is that an aftermarket exhaust does nothing for the performance of an engine?

Please explain, what you are your saying is that an aftermarket exhaust does nothing for the performance of an engine?

Pretty sure he said exactly what he meant.

A loud bike is not always a fast bike. Just loud.

Aftermarket doesn't always equal loud either.

• Like 2

Re:  WD40 as a chain lube.

I know 2 guys that use it exclusively off road, and they say it works fine.

Many years ago knew of another guy that did and said the same.

Re:  WD40 as a chain lube.

I know 2 guys that use it exclusively off road, and they say it works fine.

Many years ago knew of another guy that did and said the same.

The only problem I could see happening with WD-40 is that it has a tendency to evaporate over time. Not a problem if applied regularly. Actually I've also found that my Yamalube off-road chain lube is as thin as WD-40 and also seems to run and dry up leaving the chain to rust if not re-applied regularly. Nothing like the lube I use on my road bike and I can see why that is.

I remember someone a while ago got some o-rings out of chains and soaked them for some time in various solvents including WD-40. He posted the results online. The only really destructive one I remember was gasoline. The o-ring left in that looked all swelled and horrible.

I tried some of that Yam chain lube and didn't like it at all; had the same results as you found.

Seems I remember that O-ring eval as well.

I've been wanting to try some of my MTB chain lube (Triflow) for some time.

I tried some of that Yam chain lube and didn't like it at all; had the same results as you found.

Seems I remember that O-ring eval as well.

I've been wanting to try some of my MTB chain lube (Triflow) for some time.

Interesting. So what do you normally use? 

I figured it was so thin because the type we put on road bikes would make a horrible mess once stuff like sand gets to it. All the sand and crap would be stuck to the chain and just going around grinding away at everything instead of being flung off it.  

Anyone know why its called wd-40?

Yup!

Water Displacement formula 40....it took 40 tries to get it right, which really isn't to bad. With sealed chains.....WD should be fine or even perfect, as you are not replacing the lube with it....for MX style chains, IMO not enough lubrication to help them last.

WD-40 also makes a great cleaner...try it on your shower door to get rid of the soap scum.....I use it to clean bike parts also.....I could see it eating O-rings, but not automotive grade ones, maybe cheap ones found in toys and Chinese bikes...but not solvent/gas/oil resistant O-rings found on cars/trikes/MCs.

As far as sea foam goes.......I've been told by a reputable card builder (does street bike carbs)...that it does damage some parts in the carbs....doesn't mean they don't stay clean, just that after time, they wear out. Good air filters have a tendency to keep your carb VERY clean. 

Oil.....I use automotive transmission fluid in my (2T) dirt bike, works great, I use automotive engine oil in my street bike....no problems there either. At the very least if you use an oil & change it regularly....it should last.

I only change tubes when the rubber has deteriorated to an "Un-serviceable" state...such as you can pull the stems off by hand.

• Like 3

The truth is that frequent use, clean air/fuel filters will make a carb last ages. Has more to do with not letting fuel sit in the bowl too long than any additive. An engine can even be run on WD40, which decarbons the top end while its combusting.

• Like 1

Agreed on all points. On o/x-ring chain I am doing the WD experiment. I use lube on the bikes with steel chains. Yes to automotive oil as well. My FZ1 has almost 40,000 miles on it....it gets the chevron oil from Costco.

With the oil/lube threads I tend to listen to the folks who put lots of miles/hours on their bikes. I do trackdays as well and there are guys out there that do minimal maintenance, beat the hell out if their bikes, and they keep on running.

What tires you running on that pig? No insult, I have a first gen. KLR650. Gotta be street tires and street riding.

The last three sets have been Shinko Trail Master. Longest lasting I have tried to date. I probably ride 50% paved street, 40% gravel / dirt road, 10% off road. My idea of a good days ride is pointing my bike in a direction on street / highway and riding for 100 miles. Then fuel up, turn around, and take nothing but gravel / dirt roads all the way back home.

• Like 2