2013 Tranny install, going WRONG, Im going NUTZ

Without it being together/putting the cases together...nothing is supported or aligned properly. Too early to check the gearbox. All you can do is follow the manual,put it together and then use the shifter to shift through the gears. The drum pushes the forks to select the years. Although the detent spring,it can't hold position. That is most likely why you are seeing the binding. There is nothing supporting the gear selected. Follow the shifter in relation to the shift drum to see 1st gear engage,neutral,2nd gear,etc. It will make a lot more sense then. If the parts are all in correctly-it will work. Just gotta get it together more to actually test.

After extremely careful inspection and manual, I had the lower shift fork gear flipped the side that has 2 forks. Now I can go through the gears fine. case is sealed, and started putting back together, clutch side is complete. have to put piston, in head on cams and covers, done.

Still debating on the vortex system.

Great to hear. Honestly,I Dont see how the fork could go on upside down,but at least you found it. Whenever I get to the transmission,I take pictures and write on them with a sharpie- I number them 1,2,3etc and then label top bottom or whatever helps me to remember the order. Trans can be difficult. So many little washers and spacers. Just tore my rm250 trans apart from getting a mis-shift. Some of the washers were worn so I orders new ones and shimmed it and polished it up. Rode it last night and it works like a swiss watch. Were your gears damaged? This winter I will be splitting my rmz290 and do the trans and crank. Can't say I look forward to it. Those jobs I need total concentration.

just a few scratches is ll no damage. I hit everything with brake cleaner and cleaned completly dipped in prep oil, and even dripped some assemb;y lube on them. back together now. I am now at the timing issue. I am trying to figure out how to get the piston on TDC of the compression stroke.... how? I have the cam timing marks lined up, but seems i will have to redo this as I did them absent the crank in the right position. I thought when i installed the piston I had it at the top so I figured it was TDC. guess not,. ANy thoughts on how to get or know its TDC on the compression stroke.