Sign in to follow this  

Somebody lowered my bike

Hello all, I am new to the forum, and have a few questions about the bike I just bought.  I have a 2007 450exc dual sport, and it appears that it has been lowered 2 inches?  The guy I had purchased it off of, doesn't remember what work exactly was done, And im wondering what your thoughts on what they could have done, if its at all reversible, or perhaps there is someone who is intrested in trading there stock suspension for lowered.  It is a tall bike, I am how ever 6'6 and need the stock height back!  Going to order an endure engineering tall seat, once the suspensions all sorted out.

I think you'll have to compare some pics of the stock bike to what you have in order to see if any external mods were done, like a lowering "link" where the rear shock meets the swingarm and/or the fork tubes pulled up in the triple clamps.

If the internals of the forks and shock were modified, you'll need to have a suspension shop reverse the work that was done to shorten them.

If it was done properly, it is easily reversable. But yea, you'll probably need to take it to a tuner. And again, if it was done right, and he didn't give you back the stock springs, then you will have to get a new set of fork springs. The rear spring doesn't have to be changed due to the fact it works on a arc ratio. But the front is a 1 to 1 ratio so it should have  2" shorter springs

Should easily be reversible. I think the exc had a no link setup so the shock and forks probably have spacers in them. All you need to do is remove the spacers and add longer preload spacers in the front. If you can't rebuild a shock, then take it to a tuner. The rear will just need the sag reset once the spacer is removed.

I had a similar situation. I took apart the forks and removed the spacers to get back to stock height. There was no alteration to the springs. Then I bought a shock off a newer bike and ran it. If you are unfamiliar with this you need a manual or friend to help. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice, I have posted an ad to craigslist to see if anyone is interested in trading there stock parts for lowered, If not Ill probably tackle it next weekend!  I found a nice tutorial video for the shock if anyone is interested in doing the same thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_lZOEWVYg

• Like 1

Should easily be reversible. I think the exc had a no link setup so the shock and forks probably have spacers in them. All you need to do is remove the spacers and add longer preload spacers in the front. If you can't rebuild a shock, then take it to a tuner. The rear will just need the sag reset once the spacer is removed.

Common lowering method is to add rebound spacers to the forks and shock, then shorten the fork springs and reduce preload on the shock spring to achieve proper sag. Sometimes lowering links are used on the rear so YMMV.