Trade 06 RM250 for 09 KTM150sx?

Title says it all. I've always been interested in getting a KTM150sx. It's in great shape like my RM250. I plan on trading straight up. The reason why I want to trade is because it's mainly something for my dad to ride and I ride a yz125 as well. What do you guys think? Hold on to the RM or jump on this deal?

I would keep the RM

I would keep the RM

Yeah, me too......and I love KTM's.

OP, why doesn't your dad just ride the RM? Is it because he's a beginner and you're thinking less power will be better for him? Because the 150 in my mind would make a worse beginner's bike than the 250...

Edited by Fattonz

Keep the rm.

RM

I must admit I'm surprised by the response. Initially I thought get the 150, but the guys that responded are pretty smart, hmmmm?

I love my 150, it seems most guys that have them do.

So guys, why keep the RM?

Edited by poldies4

Because the 150 in my mind would make a worse beginner's bike than the 250...

??? Don't like the 150? Too high strung for a beginner? What's your thought process?

??? Don't like the 150? Too high strung for a beginner? What's your thought process?

Poldies I would LOVE to try a 150...

I would think the RM would allow the rider to be a little more lazy on the clutch, given the extra torque. I would expect the 150, being high strung as you said, would be more of a young man's bike.

So for a dad, who is new to riding, I just think the RM would be more appropriate. As a dad I can say that I love hopping on my son's high strung 125, but then after a few minutes I'm always relieved to get my lazy butt back on my 300...lol.

Of course I was only guessing at the OP's reasoning...

Edited by Fattonz

Poldies I would LOVE to try a 150...

I would think the RM would allow the rider to be a little more lazy on the clutch, given the extra torque. I would expect the 150, being high strung as you said, would be more of a young man's bike.

So for a dad, who is new to riding, I just think the RM would be more appropriate. As a dad I can say that I love hopping on my son's high strung 125, but then after a few minutes I'm always relieved to get my lazy butt back on my 300...lol.

Of course I was only guessing at the OP's reasoning...

I mean my dad does ride, but I race both bikes except the RM. The RM to me is a little much. He prefers to ride my yz125, but he's just put'n around.

I mean my dad does ride, but I race both bikes except the RM. The RM to me is a little much. He prefers to ride my yz125, but he's just put'n around.

If he prefers the yz-125 to the rm-250, then perhaps he would be better suited to the 150sx. But has he given the RM an honest try? In my opinion a larger displacement 2 stroke is FAR better suited for a rider who likes to putt around. It takes a skilled rider to handle a 125/150 well....

Also, from a jetting perspective I find it easier to find the happy medium between being jetted for a slow rider who stays mostly on the pilot circuit/needle starting diameter versus a faster rider who stays mostly on the pipe (needle end taper/main jet). What I am saying is the small displacement 2 strokes like to have their necks wrung. When they are putted around they tend to load up, badly....to the point of fouling plugs. So to compensate for this style of riding the bike must be leaned out to a point where when ridden hard the bike is bordering on being dangerously lean.

With the larger displacement bike the same principal is true, in that the slower rider will make the bike seem rich vs an aggressive rider, however with the larger displacement bike I have found it easier to find the jetting compromise.

RM FTW

So guys I still have the RM. The trade went south when I got there. I drove 3 hours and a deal was set in stone. The KTM was covered in rust. Bad chain, brake pads. Bike was a mess. My RM is in mint condition. He checked it over and told me it was basically garbage. Said it needed to be tore apart because it has a lot of vibration. Guy was nice, but when it came to the deal he was brainless. So I still have the bike, and plan on putting a new tire on it and some goodies!

Thats the reason i never like to trade. I prefer to sell what i have for cash and then go find what i want. He more than likely wanted your bike but had to come up with reasons to trash yours so you would trade. Sounds like a wise move to keep yours. Have you tried a flywheel weight on that rm to see if you like it any better?