Sign in to follow this  

Ankle Questions - Dr.Mark, Your Iniput Appreciated

My ankle is pretty worn out. My ortho told me I have less than a millimeter of cartilage left so I guess I'm basically bone to bone. Lately I have a lot of pain and it sometimes takes a couple minutes before I can bear weight if I sit with my foot extended more than 5 minutes. It locks as well and causes me to stumble.  So has anyone here dealt with this before? 

For Dr. Mark, I'm looking at worst case scenario here and it looks like fusion is one fix but I don't want the limited ROM from that. I am trying to set up a consultation with a foot/ankle doc that does this. http://www.staranklereplacement.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwgMieBRCB3bqB94e9lD4SJABW3sTNFxatjTVp7WBdy2vLMrl6xbJ-NTIIuK9l__n5JuTcYBoC-wPw_wcB

Do you have an opinion of this procedure?

Thanks

The ankle replacement will add about 5-10 degrees of motion. It is a delicate prosthesis and is incompatable with riding and racing.  A fusion is appropriate for an athlete.  A total ankle replacement is appropriate for a golf, tennis, and the active adult gated community lifestyle.

You might want to try taking glucosamine supplements. I had problems with my knee for a while that were only getting worse. I started taking glucosamine/chondroitin and my limp went completely away.

The ankle replacement will add about 5-10 degrees of motion. It is a delicate prosthesis and is incompatable with riding and racing.  A fusion is appropriate for an athlete.  A total ankle replacement is appropriate for a golf, tennis, and the active adult gated community lifestyle.

Well, I didn't want to hear that but figured I would. Right now it doesn't bother me when I ride. Every other activity does and I can't be on my feet too long. 

What kind of ROM is left after a fusion?

Most ankles that are up for fusion don't have any useful motion anyway.  If they did a fusion wouldn't be indicated.  The gait pattern is actually minimally different from the total ankle replacement.

The principal similarities between the total ankle replacement, and the total hip or total knee replacement are the words total and replacement.